Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:33 PM
bstussie
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The New F86D Dog Sabre

Everyone make sure to pressure test your tanks before you glue them in, I just tested #1 and it had a small crack in one of the corners and started leaking fuel!

Did not even test #2, I am so mad at this #*%# jet, nothing has gone right with it [:@] really wish I had a tornado instead of this 86
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bstussie

Everyone make sure to pressure test your tanks before you glue them in, I just tested #1 and it had a small crack in one of the corners and started leaking fuel!

Did not even test #2, I am so mad at this #*%# jet, nothing has gone right with it [:@] really wish I had a tornado instead of this 86
EVERY tank, regardless of manufacturer or material should be tested before fueling for he first time.....
Thankfully you caught it before it became a serious issue.

Greg
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree every tank should be tested but not every tank should leak! Mine also had a pin hole leak, I really hope I found them all because I am not so sure my tanks will come out. I'll cross that bridge wehen I get there, that goop was stronger than I realized.

BTussie, I am also frusterated as well, but no more than usual with these types of budget jets. I think once you are done you will like it better than the tornado, the tornado is a PITA to transport unless you can do it all in one piece. YOu have to remove wings and the boom, leaving you with 8 servo wires, 4 hoses, and 4 boltsto connect and disconnect. The dog will only have 4 servos wires, 4 hoses and 2 bolts.

At least I didnt have to buy a P60 or spend 1500 on a trainer aiframe!

BTW the turbine alignment and pipe alignment are a PITA> There is such much play in the pipe, is there a general rule where the end of the pip should be? High, low left right? Seems the thrust angle is up in the air. I will probably bolt the pipe to the bottom of the fuse like KimHey did.

Its also difficult to get the turinbe alinged as my formers cannot be used as a refernce since they are not straight! So I made one of the plugs with the long CF rod to put down the pipe, but even my CF rod is not straight. So I have to use my eyes to align it, its the best I can do!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
essyou35

This thread is getting slow so I'll keep it going!  I filled up my dog with gas last night.  Everything held up except the used UAT I bought.  as  I filll with gas, the gas seeps up through the threads on the top cap and leaks just a bit.  Will try some gasket sealer. 

I have a guy coming over to help me check pipe alignment, and he wants to go fly it Saturday.  I am almost done, need to set CG and control throws, glue canopy on and off we go.

In retrospect it wasnt too hard to build, I just tend to worry a lot about stuff I dont need to.  But it definately has helped develope my skills.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 AM
mtnflyer14

I'm not an expert, but have had a BVM UAT and two MAP UATs (cheaper and work great) and neither have leaked. I think you should double check the fit/fittings prior to putting gasket sealer on. Good luck on the maiden.
Regards,
Gus
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 AM
essyou35

Thanks gus, I confirmed the fuel comes up through the threads on the main cap.  It only leaks during fueling when the thanks get near full.  It is the one TBM used to sell, the knockoff of the BVM.   I have a fancy one for  my f-16 though.

Do UAT have a lifespan? 
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 AM
mtnflyer14

Do UAT have a lifespan?
Not that I know of.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 AM
bstussie

Gus I really like the Scheme on your 86 and I will most likely copy it and change up the State!

Good Job
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM
mtnflyer14

Thanks! I have made a couple other minor changes since those pics. I added "CAPTAIN GUS GRISSOM" to the canopy rail in vinyl decals and repainted the gloss green on top of the nose to olive drab and extended it back a little and up onto the canopy rail. Will try to post a couple pics this evening. My research showed that the stripes on the fuselage were international orange on the Kansas Air Guard jets, but I preferred the yellow.
Regards,
Gus
Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

SU35

Use plumbers teflon tape to seal the threads on the cap.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 AM
bstussie

ORIGINAL: mtnflyer14

Thanks! I have made a couple other minor changes since those pics. I added ''CAPTAIN GUS GRISSOM'' to the canopy rail in vinyl decals and repainted the gloss green on top of the nose to olive drab and extended it back a little and up onto the canopy rail. Will try to post a couple pics this evening. My research showed that the stripes on the fuselage were international orange on the Kansas Air Guard jets, but I preferred the yellow.
Regards,
Gus

do you have any good websites you used as a reference that you can share or was it all written documentation?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

I see that a few people are have fuel cells that are leaking. Just to let you know, I manufacture these cells for Modellbau USA. I pressure check each cell before I ship them. Maybe I missed one or two? I try my best to ship an acceptable product for the price paid for these airplanes.

I will stand behind these cells and repair or replace leaking tanks free of charge.

Thanks,
Derrick
Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM
mtnflyer14

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft...profiles.shtml

The above link is primarily what I used.
Regards,
Gus
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
bstussie

ORIGINAL: derrickxp8103

I see that a few people are have fuel cells that are leaking. Just to let you know, I manufacture these cells for Modellbau USA. I pressure check each cell before I ship them. Maybe I missed one or two? I try my best to ship an acceptable product for the price paid for these airplanes.

I will stand behind these cells and repair or replace leaking tanks free of charge.

Thanks,
Derrick
Thanks Derrick, this hobby has some great vendors!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Now that is a man who stands behind his products!

You're a good man Derrick!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 PM
brelaw

Hi guys, my first post in this thread, I have been reviewing it for a few weeks now as I got the dog with a kingtech K-80 F about a month ago and am starting the build now. Been building and flying for about 25 years now but this is my first jet. I guess my first question is going to been in regards to the horz stab and wing incidence. The stab holes are drilled about the same as kimhey's are. My plan is to move the forward holes up a little to get 0 degrees on the stabs. If I follow the bottom mold line on the wings with the root rib will that give me enough positive incidence if the stabs are at 0 degrees. It looks like it will be close but I not for sure. Any help out there would be nice. Thx, Brett
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 PM
essyou35

Mine were the same way. I left them as is. I was going to fly this weekend but we had high winds. My mentor gave me a few bugs to fix anyways. Can you wait a week or so before doing anything? I can confirm wether or not its an issue.

My tires turn stiff, can I just put some lube of some sort on the brake o-seal? These seem to be overlarged on mine and give a lot of friction.
Also, I fired up the Dog today, way different sound with that pipe installed.

We plan to fly it without the canopy on, just the hatch, as I am going to put a Go Pro camera on it where the canopy would go.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Flilek

Hi all,

My F-86D made its first flight yesterday.

First some information about the setup.

Incidence: around 1.5°
CG: 30cm from Leading edge
Turbine: Wren Super Sport/Kero start (very light engine)
Batteries: 2x Lipo 3300mAh/2S for receiver and Lipo 1500mAh/2S for turbine (All in nose over intake) Still needed 100gr to get this CG.
All throws as indicated in the manual.

After Take-off I needed sereval click on elevator trim to keep the nose up. For the rest everyting was fine.
The grey finish presents some visibility problems when the model is slightly banked. Model is nervous in turns, when crow is out, but manageable.
Settings for crow are right, but the model needs a lot of time to slow down.

I will have more flights next weekend and see how the model flies with retracts in.

see you
Flilek
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

I think something is wrong with your setup. The flight conditions you are describing do not seem right. This airplane gets extremely stable with crow more so than when at flight speed. And with crow it wants to slow down big time you actually need a bit of power to land. I would recheck your CG make it as per manual and also you flap deflection. If Greg would chime in and share his thoughts it would help. I think he is the only person here that has close to the number of flights I have on the Dog.

Agian guys please do not change the holes on the stabs they are set right. If you do flight characteristics will change I garuentee. I know some of you would like to reinvent the wheel but we have flight tested this plane and crashed many trying out different CG, incidents and wing airfoils. Agian I can't tell you what to do with your money but I do not reccomened changing any stab settings.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM
essyou35

Henry or someone, is it ok to put vasoline on the brakes for lube?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Modellbau USA

KY works better lol sorry you left ur self open.
Actually yes but axel grease works better
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM
essyou35

Anyone who deals with Henry usually has a good supply of vasoline on hand!  Ha!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Flilek

Hi Henry,

I do not agree with your opinion.

When I advance the CG by 1 cm, i would need even more up trim. I hate models with rudders not aligned with the tips. If this were the case, than the holes for the stab where not correctly drilled correctly.

My flaps are at maximum possible. When I raise the ailerons more up, then the model will handel different on ailerons.

I made 6 World Championships in F3B (multi task glider) and collected a lot of experience with crow landing.

Best regards

flilek
Old 05-20-2012, 12:15 PM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

Agian guys please do not change the holes on the stabs they are set right. If you do flight characteristics will change I garuentee. I know some of you would like to reinvent the wheel but we have flight tested this plane and crashed many trying out different CG, incidents and wing airfoils. Agian I can't tell you what to do with your money but I do not reccomened changing any stab settings.
Henry, I hear what you say. I did what I felt was right. When I inserted a 1m carbon rod in the stab holes, they made a destinct X pattern when looking at the model from befind. That alone told me that the holes could not be "trusted"..

My Dog flies straight and level with no elevator trim. CG as per manual. I have about 20 flights on this model now and enjoy it very much. The crow setting is needed, and I use 55mm flaps (not 45mm as the manual states).

The only "negative" comment I have would be the Dutch roll issue. I have a Futaba 190 on the rudder, and 15-20% gain seems like the best setting, but not sure yet.. Maybe a second gyro on the ailerons would be even better.

I am very close to completing my CARF Mig-15 (v.2), and as the Mig have similar wing shape, I will be able to compare the Dutch roll issue..

Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Modellbau USA

Ok then I'm wrong then you must no best for our plane. Im just giving our help we have built over 35 of the dogs for customers and I test fly every single one so I think we got this plane down but if anybody would like to use there own ideas that fine no feelings hurt here ours flies great as well as many others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.