Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting theory about the hydrostatic pressure. Care to elaborate on how that would work? Meanwhile, I've glued in both of my tanks after repairing the leak in the left one. (!) Yes, the tanks covered my wing mounting screw holes as you all have already no doubt discovered. Another biggie I solved after some thought is routing the steering cables so that the nose wheel can retract without getting stuck on the bunched up cables. They get "longer" when the gear is retracted. I made a new aluminum steering arm with the tips bent down towards the ground. The holes for the cables are drilled into the two bent tips. This allows the cables to hinge during retract instead of acting like a lever and whipping all about. I'll post a picture of this later today.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F86 Nosegear1.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1954209   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86 Nosegear2.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	1954210  

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 01-04-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Flilek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Interesting theory about the hydrostatic pressure. Care to elaborate on how that would work? Meanwhile, I've glued in both of my tanks after repairing the leak in the left one. (!) Yes, the tanks covered my wing mounting screw holes as you all have already no doubt discovered. Another biggie I solved after some thought is routing the steering cables so that the nose wheel can retract without getting stuck on the bunched up cables. They get "longer" when the gear is retracted. I made a new aluminum steering arm with the tips bent down towards the ground. The holes for the cables are drilled into the two bent tips. This allows the cables to hinge during retract instead of acting like a lever and whipping all about. I'll post a picture of this later today.

Hi all.
All the best for 2014.

For the steering cables I found a good solution on the web site of Fei Bao. Connect both cables by a loop made of the rest of a cable strap and shrinking tube (add a drop of CA glue) See photo.
When the gear is retracted, the cable strap rest tends to flex and moves the cables away from the leg.

Flilek

Name:	Steering cables.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1954230  
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Pull Up Now!

That's a nice way to make a flexy, low rate spring. I like it. Turns out I don't really need to do anything special for my internal steering cables....the cable sheath keeps things in order. All the extra cable gathering seems to happen above the retracted wheel. I've tested this about 50 times, and it's behaving predictably.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1954290   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1954292  
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull Up;
I have done some things different with my F-86D but like you wasn't sure how much interest there is. First I didn't have the problem with the I.D. of the bulkhead being too small for the tail pipe. Picture below show my bulkhead fit and my dummy engine with the mounting bracket installed. I was in the process of installing the tail pipe when I decided I need to finish installing my elevator, rudder and speed brake cables before the final install of the tail pipe. Also shown is the bulkhead I made for supporting the tail pipe at the rear end. Any comments and suggestions are encourged.

Name:	Tail Pipe Flush fit in bulkhead.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	679.4 KB
ID:	1954890   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIPE IN PLACE ON BULKHEAD.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	698.7 KB
ID:	1954891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Tail Pipe Bulkhead.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	646.2 KB
ID:	1954892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dummy Ram 500 with Mount Strap.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	1954893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dummy Engine_Spacer_Pipe.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	955.6 KB
ID:	1954894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dummy Engine with Tail Pipe spacer.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	1954895  
Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
sidgates

Another modification I have done is cut our the speed brakes and make them active. A side advantage of the speed brake cutout is the increased access to inside the fuselage tail for wiring and installing the tail pipe. I elected to do the speed brakes instead of modifing the flaps for increase travel. I wasn't sure how much power was needed for the speed brake so I did a test driving in my car at 70mph and measured the force required to open the speed brake. Force required was a lot lower than I expected. Link to video of speed brake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhBHUJBQ8o

If anyone wants more details.

Name:	Right Speed Brake Cutout.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	721.6 KB
ID:	1954910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Assembly in Place-Door Open.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	1954911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Brake Assembly in Place.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	771.9 KB
ID:	1954912  

Last edited by sidgates; 01-06-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by sidgates
Pull Up;
I have done some things different with my F-86D but like you wasn't sure how much interest there is. First I didn't have the problem with the I.D. of the bulkhead being too small for the tail pipe. Picture below show my bulkhead fit and my dummy engine with the mounting bracket installed. I was in the process of installing the tail pipe when I decided I need to finish installing my elevator, rudder and speed brake cables before the final install of the tail pipe. Also shown is the bulkhead I made for supporting the tail pipe at the rear end. Any comments and suggestions are encourged.
Wow, really nice pictures Sid. I'm definitely interested. You went much farther than I did with that complete dummy engine. I like your tail former(or bulkhead) for the thrust tube, too. I didn't do that, nor did I have to make any cuts to the tail of the fuselage. the pipe fits fine as is. I'll probably, at some point, inject some silicone in there just the dampen any vibration. The hole in your forward P1 former is much bigger than mine was. Mine was a close fit to the smaller, forward pipe diameter just behind the mounting lugs. I feel lucky I was able to install it without cutting it apart.

I just completed salvaging as much of the nosegear bay clear plastic cover as I could. I'll post pics later tonight...but I had to glue the vacuum formed plastic piece to a 3/8" shim to raise it up enough to clear the retracted wheel. Goop works well for things like that. I also installed my CAT UAT last night. I'm starting on the retract plumbing tonight.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Pull Up Now!

Another modification I have done is cut our the speed brakes and make them active. A side advantage of the speed brake cutout is the increased access to inside the fuselage tail for wiring and installing the tail pipe. I elected to do the speed brakes instead of modifing the flaps for increase travel. I wasn't sure how much power was needed for the speed brake so I did a test driving in my car at 70mph and measured the force required to open the speed brake. Force required was a lot lower than I expected. Link to video of speed brake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhBHUJBQ8o

If anyone wants more details.
When you deployed the air brakes during the test, did the car slow down???llllllllllllll
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM
sidgates

That's funny!!! In fact it was very easy to hold the speed brake out the window and hold it with one hand at 70mph fully deployed. I have the mold for the inside covers for the speed brake if any one wants to do the same mod. I know it isn't scale to have the servo exposed when the speed brake is open but I wanted to keep it simple and cheap. I thought about using air before I found out the power needed and thought it would take some large air cylinders but probably wouldn't be hard to do with air.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
sidgates

I don't like to have to connect 4 servo cables and 4 airlines every time I go to fly the F-86D so I made quick disconnects for the servos and the air lines that are in the wing. The servos connect with a DB-9 connector and I modified the air line connector to mount on a plate. The first picture shows the assembly mounted in the wing root and the second picture shows the two connectors mated but not installed. The round plate mounts in the wing cutout and the more square one mounts in the fuselage side. When the wing slides on all the connections are made for air and wing servos.

Name:	F-86 Air_Servo Quick Disconnect.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	1955087   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-86 Air_Servo Quick Disconnect-2.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	1955088  
Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 AM
mtnflyer14

I have seen the electrical connections, but not air - who makes those? Very slick install and nice job on the speed brakes!
Regards,
Gus
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 AM
sidgates

Gus,
The air connector I used is sold by some of the retract companies but don't remember which one. I buy them locally from Industrial Specialties Mfg. The connectors are made by Colder Products Co, SMC series :
http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/Mater.../Products.aspx
The part no. I buy them under at ISM is CPCP-01-A125 @ $1.25ea & CPCP-01-A127 @ $.96ea. Best contact at ISM is Dave Neely 303-781-8486. I have used this connector for a number of years very successfully as an inline connector. The connector pair comes apart by a small twist. For panel mount use I cut off the locking tab. I rough up the mounting surface when I panel mount them and epoxy them in the panel. The price at ISM is a lot lower than hobby company sources and I understand the retract manufactures have to make a profit. I always buy a minimum of 10 sets from ISM to keep the order above the nuisance level. I will probably add some pictures later today of the connectors.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM
mtnflyer14

Great info - thanks! Yes, dramatic difference in Colder Products prices and the 'mainstream' model hobby suppliers.
Regards,
Gus
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Given how we often get problems with air leaks in our retracts are you confident that these wing connectors will not leak air ?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
sidgates

Jetflyer,
I haven't used the plug-in version in the field yet. When using this connector in-line as designed they have been very good. In the pictures below you can see the black "O" ring seal. In the first picture top left is a mated pair. Below is a pair separated. Top right is a sample i got that is for bulkhead mounting. ISm only had one of this type in stock at the time I was there last so haven't tried to use it in a plug in installation. In the second picture is the assembly I made, you can see the black "O" there also. The third picture is the mating assembly mounted in the wing root. By the way I removed the locking tabs on both halves with Dremel cut off wheel, just takes seconds. I just make sure I don't nick the barrel of the connector with the cut off wheel.

Name:	SMC Connectors-Air.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	1955212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Disconnect-Fuse Side.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	1955213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Install.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	868.6 KB
ID:	1955214  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Pull Up Now!

Interesting idea, making all these connections plug with the wing. I hope it's all reliable given the wings flex. The plastic quick-disconnects look just like Robart, shown in this pic.

Name:	robart quick disconnect.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1955246  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
sidgates

Pull Up,
I think they are the same. In the mid '70s i went to a pattern and scale meet southwest of Minneaoplis, very friendly club. We get 4-5 guys from your area to Denver each year for Warbirds Over Denver. They are very talented scale builders.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
red76ta

I've been following this thread for just over a year and want to thank everyone for the great input and tips for building the Sabre Dog! I purchased one in December 2012, along with landing gear and my first turbine. My plan was to have it flying this past summer, but multiple issues prevented my reaching this goal. I finally got started and am on the home stretch, setting up the controls as recommended. I haven't done the hatch yet and will likely put a little detail in this area. I live in central PA and will have to travel about 2 hours or more to fly it and get my waiver. Being my first turbine, I chose it for many reasons including cost, scale like appearance and flying characteristics. During the building process I was surprised to find how accessible and helpful many of the vendors and owners are, as well as my fellow modellers and again, wanted to say thank you all! Happy New Years and Happy Flying!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Pull Up Now!

Pull Up,
I think they are the same. In the mid '70s i went to a pattern and scale meet southwest of Minneaoplis, very friendly club. We get 4-5 guys from your area to Denver each year for Warbirds Over Denver. They are very talented scale builders.
Was it TCRC in Jordan, Minnesota?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Sidgates: My problem is the part numbers you provided don't work at either Colder Products Co. or at Industrial Specialties Mfg. I just want to make sure I order the right matching pair. Thanks...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Pull Up Now!

Have you checked the valve with Kero?
Sid, it took a while, but TME responded to my inquiry if the TME checkvalve is kerosene-proof. They confirmed that it is.
Rick

Name:	TME check valve.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1955308  
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
sidgates

Thanks , I am going to try one.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
sidgates

[QUOTE=RAMFlyer;11704569]Sidgates: My problem is the part numbers you provided don't work at either Colder Products Co. or at Industrial Specialties Mfg. I just want to make sure I order the right matching pair. Thanks...[/QUOTE
---------------------------------------------------------------
I will recheck my invoice tomorrow,.
Sid
Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
sidgates

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Was it TCRC in Jordan, Minnesota?
-----------------------------------------------------
Sorry, just don't remember. It was grass field then.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
sidgates

Originally Posted by RAMFlyer
Sidgates: My problem is the part numbers you provided don't work at either Colder Products Co. or at Industrial Specialties Mfg. I just want to make sure I order the right matching pair. Thanks...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramflyer- I found this link on the ISM site: http://catalog.industrialspec.com/it...833?&bc=0|2702
The part number I listed may be the local ISM stock number.
Sid
Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Pull Up Now!

"Sorry, just don't remember. It was grass field then"
Sid, there is a field in the Twin Cities area actually called Grassfield. A coworker of mine belongs to that club. It's in Brooklyn Park, but it's northwest of the cities, not southwest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.