Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Best all around sports jet? >

Best all around sports jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best all around sports jet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best all around sports jet?

I have an Élan, Bandit ARF, and a Flash. I have built 3 Élans, and 3 Flashes so I would say I have a fair amount of experience with these airframes. I can tell you the Flash is the better constructed airframe by far, no question. The Élan is good but the Flash is much better.

I have flow gallons through both and yes, the Élan is easier to fly and land IMO, but just by a fraction. The Flash is just about as easy and flys like a dream.

As far as durability the Flash wins hands down. It is a tank! You will re-kit your Élan long before you get a wimper out of the Flash.

The Flash wins in the dollar value department too!

YMMV
Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 AM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Tams F-16 hands down.

2 minute flying field setup, flies like an F-16 (pull hard, snap roll, spin), can't beat the price, looks good, excellent manual, can take a wide arrange of engines, super slow scale-like landings, low parts count, strong airframe, high quality epoxy-glass............goes on and on. And yes, it can take several beatings.

Only problem, it may not be available for a while.
I owned a Tam F-16 and it flies like an F-16. Nothing about it comes close to a Flash or Bandit.
No way. The Bandit gets really boring after a while. So bad I'm actually selling mine. Lost interest in it. It's beautiful and flies good, but I don't get a quarter of the excitement I get from flying an F-16.
Also, the 20 minute setup time at the field really pi$$ses me off. They have corrected that on MKII, but the damage was done for me.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Well I don't think it's that open ended really, 'all around' is the best average across the board, there are other sports jets that may score slightly better in maybe 1 or 2 areas for example a little faster or land marginally slower but I they won't score as well in all other areas such as ease of assembly, looks, vfm,etc.

It's great to have reasoned debate with owners real world day to day experience flying their favourite.

Rob.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Bandit boring??? Your an idiot!! Stupidist comment I have read in long time. You must just fly in circles and perform zero aerobatics!!! Watch someone who knows how to fly and they are anything but boring!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: topgun24

Bandit boring??? Your an idiot!! Stupidist comment I have read in long time. You must just fly in circles and perform zero aerobatics!!! Watch someone who knows how to fly and they are anything but boring!!!
wow... you really are one of those *****
Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

well .... I'd rather be flying with "idiots" than with those of your arrogance Its this pompass attitude that is whats wrong with the hobby and pushes so many people away from it. Its a TOY, and he can think of it what he wants ..., so i think someone is due for an apology lol

~V~
Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM

my scorpion was maiden yesterday ,still i can't belive how well it took off, flies,and lands.
just plug two aileron conectors,no need of flaps,just a jj1800 for power and it performs immelman, rolls ,loops,everything.(i own two diamond dust,so i miss a little speed but....).great jet.my viote for it .
also i`d like to have a flash
Old 05-12-2011, 12:19 PM

nahh, not gonna bother.

Paxil 500mg, 4 times a day works really good.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Of all the jets I've flown, I found the Bandit to be the most enjoyable personally. They'll go as fast as you want, slow down to a crawl (just watch Kent Nogy fly his sometime), and can handle anything aerobatic I can throw at it really. I can absolutely see people being put off by the price and the field assembly time though. I also know more than a few people who simply don't like 'sport' jets and prefer to be flying something that looks like a real airplane. No rules that say you can't sport fly a scale airplane.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
My Feedback: (84)

These are all good: not in any order of preference just good planes
1. Boomerang TORUS.. you would be amazed how tight you can turn this and it won't snap out...and it lands like a *****cat put a 160 in it
2. Boomerang XLII wow it flies on any power and glides forever 160 will give you a really good climb
3. C-Arf U Flash ANDU Lightning.. both are awsome, very neutral and they land slow and EASYesp the Lightning 120/160 needed
4. Pirotti Tuono... takes your breath away... does it all.. nice not to have gear doors to fool with (ditto all boomerangs) put a 180 in it and climb climb climb
5. Boomerang Elan speedy, menuverable and easy to land 120 is perfect
6. DV8R.. 100, 120
7. there are more but these are really good ones

see>>> http://youtu.be/k24UwdOpOHA and http://youtu.be/Hd4e-HVAJWcand http://youtu.be/V-MshxxdUWEand http://youtu.be/XUdgVggJmn8 and http://youtu.be/b11vhMTOkJs
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

This is the stupidist comment I have read in a long time. Just saying..........
Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a good time to be in jets - so many great options.

I'm a Barf fan. Great speed range, when CG'd correctly highly aerobatic and, very importantly, one of the most reliable planes you'll see out at the field. But it's tough to argue with some of the competition out there now. The Ultra Flash looks to be a great package and one of the most robust planes out there. You can even look at something like the Euro 3d for something a little left field that offers jet performance and a very different jet based aerobatic experience.

Personally, I lust after an Ultra Bandit right now. Someone out there will inevitably think I'm an idiot because of this, while others respect it. So many toys out there, I just need a colossal budget and a huge amount of time to give a truly objective answer
Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Alright I need to rethink my previous post and "idiot" comment. I am not the type to say stuff like that. I was having a bad day wrote before thinking...
I have seen this "best sport jet" thread pop up several times a year and thought oh great another Bandit vs Flash thread as most people seem to agree they are two of the best unless you go "Ultra", then it becomes Ultra Bandit vs Ultra Flash.
I have several hundred flights on Bandit and since it does anything and everything I found it impossible for anyone to say its "boring". I am just as excited taking it off today as I was three years ago. Obviously others may not feel that way. To some a bandit or flash may be not what they want. Maybe he has a thousand flights on it I don't know.... I can admit I shouldn't have said that so lets get back to the purpose of the thread[8D]
Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bandit is boring if you fly in clrcles. Doing knife edge circles, point rolls, and a snap or two makes the flight much more enjoyable.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ultra Lightning is great fun! So is the UB...

It is really dependent on your flying style. Both my UL and UB knife-edged extremely straight with at most 5% mix (if you fly with knife-edge mix). Also have a Bobcat with a 120sx and it definitely pushes 199.99.

It's kind of a pick and choose typed decision. That being said UB will be fast and aerobatic, so will the UL.

Good luck,
Jordan
Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 PM

I am also a big Bandit fan I think they look and fly great but when you talk to someone who has a lot of stick time on both UF and Bandit you get a great comparison. Also cost, field assembly time and possibly rough grass field suitability drop it down the 'all around' list.

Rob.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Another point is the fact the Bandit caries more fuel than the Flash.  My timer is set at 8mn and then I spend a good 2mn to land. I fly with a 120SE between 80 and 100% power.  All the Flash I routinely fly with land after about 6mn.<div>
</div><div>The Bandit is a major pain in the ass to assemble at the field. So much that I keep mine in one piece. But I understand that BVM just fixed that in the new version. Also, the bandit is more work. </div><div>
</div><div>Arnaud</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Arnaud, Good point about fuel. Also, a Bandit with a 120 is faster than a Flash with a 160 it seems.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Alright I need to rethink my previous post and ''idiot'' comment. I am not the type to say stuff like that. I was having a bad day wrote before thinking...
I have seen this ''best sport jet'' thread pop up several times a year and thought oh great another Bandit vs Flash thread as most people seem to agree they are two of the best unless you go ''Ultra'', then it becomes Ultra Bandit vs Ultra Flash.
I have several hundred flights on Bandit and since it does anything and everything I found it impossible for anyone to say its ''boring''. I am just as excited taking it off today as I was three years ago. Obviously others may not feel that way. To some a bandit or flash may be not what they want. Maybe he has a thousand flights on it I don't know.... I can admit I shouldn't have said that so lets get back to the purpose of the thread[8D]
Wow. A mea culpa on RCU? I think it's a first. Well done !
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 PM

OK, maybe some are not reading the words of the original posting and missing the point?

The only Flash in this thread should be the Ultra so comparisons/experience with the older version are pointless.

If a jet is double the cost of an UF then in my book it should be twice as good in any comparable areas unless you are just interested in brand loyalty, prestige/image or feel comfortable with the way it flies and want to continue; which are all fine but again I'm not really interested in.

So far nobody has come up with a logical and reasoned arguement for any alternative or am I just living in Utopia

Rob.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Eurosport. Mine was a bundle of fun to the extent that I am thinking of buying another one.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 AM

I did enjoy my euro, but for me it really doesn't compare to my flash, I would upgrade my flash to an ultra but I really prefer the look of the original
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Good Morning! My vote is for the Comp-ARF Flash. I LOVE it! You can do anything with it, from blenders, inverted flat spins, slow rolls, knife edges, and of course the normal IMAC pattern manuevers. It is great for our short field of 450 foot runway with obsticles. Mine is powered with a JetCat 120 kero start, so I have unlimited vertical too! Very reliable, and I now have 115 flights on mine. Most of my other jets have been scale, so really can't comment on the others.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Robrow

I am also a big Bandit fan I think they look and fly great but when you talk to someone who has a lot of stick time on both UF and Bandit you get a great comparison. Also cost, field assembly time and possibly rough grass field suitability drop it down the 'all around' list.

Rob.
If the Ultra Flash and Bandit ARF MK2 were the same price I would pick the Bandit. It flies amazing and it looks better IMO.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: dubd

The Bandit is boring if you fly in clrcles. Doing knife edge circles, point rolls, and a snap or two makes the flight much more enjoyable.
Not necessarily. I do plenty of aerobatics on the Bandit and don't find it that exciting.

But to be fair, it is a great flying model and a really good design. I would never say the opposite. I just think there are great sport scale models out there that fly really good, are fully aerobatic, and very affordable.
A great sport model does not need to ressemble an F-20, and threads like these do not need to turn into a Flash vs Bandit match.

Other great sport models: KingCat, JMP Firebird, SM Viper......

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.