Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Product - CAT's (Composite Air Trap) preview

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Product - CAT's (Composite Air Trap) preview

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Product - CAT's (Composite Air Trap) preview

Very good little unit and nice to see them in different sizes. Super Quality build as always

And very good prices too and if I (The tight git) have said that they must be reasonable

http://www.gbr-jet.com/catalog/

Well done

Dennis
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 AM
marc s

Appreciate the comments, and naturally will also be keen to take on any suggestions to improve them too.

With regards to distribution in the US I will look at this, for me the big issue is making the dealers cut for their efforts big enough to still leave the product retail price nice and competitive. I am having a chat over the weekend with Ali from Als Hobbies on this to see what might be possible
so will keep you posted.

Nonetheless the items are relatively light so postage to the US is not too bad, and for the time being orders can be made via my site for the units which should be ready for shipping at the end of next week.

One note, on the small CAT there is an option to have 4mm OD barbs on the 'supply' and 'output' barbs, with a 3mm OD barb on the 'fill' or 6mm OD on 'supply' and 'output' barbs and a 4mm OD on the 'fill'. This I have done so that the small CAT can be used with Kolibri and P20 type turbines or the larger types without having those huge fittings to manage down to smaller pipe sizes

marcs
Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: marc s

One note, on the small CAT there is an option to have 4mm OD barbs on the 'supply' and 'output' barbs, with a 3mm OD barb on the 'fill' or 6mm OD on 'supply' and 'output' barbs and a 4mm OD on the 'fill'. This I have done so that the small CAT can be used with Kolibri and P20 type turbines or the larger types without having those huge fittings to manage down to smaller pipe sizes

marcs
Yes, that really makes sense for small engines ( and saves a bit of weight as well ).
Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Geoff White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Marc,

I think you are on to a winner here as they look really good and all the minus points of the existing products have been adressed. I will certainly use them in the future.

Well done.

Geoff.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
marc s

Geoff, thanks for the support ;-)

As a spin off from this project is pictured a pleated paper fuel filter clunk, which is made so that if fits through the Dubro style aluminium tank rings which accept those compression fuel bungs. The filters themselves do not fit in the standard form so my trusted machining guru Rich Chant made up the new ends and I re-assembled the filter into the ends to create a new clunk device.

This is a work in progress so comments and feedback as always are very welcome.

marcs

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61305.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1617717  
Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Geoff White

If you are developing a new clunk then make it heavy!
I like to use the BVM clunk tube as it more flexible than tygon but even with this, I sometimes find the standard clunks aren't heavy enough.

Geoff.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 AM
marc s

Geoff that is indeed one key issue, certainly when bigger bore tube like Tygon is used for the larger turbines - quality feedback, cheers.

marcs
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Jgwright

Marc

I am delighted to see that you will also be selling filter clunks. I cannot understand why they have not been made before now.

John
Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 AM
steverobertsuk

Marc

A quick question for you.

With the normal type plastic bottle the fittings (fill and vent) are on the radius of the bottle so with the tank mounted at 45 degrees they are at the top so all of the air is forced out when filling.

With your CAT I see that the fittings are mounted in the end of the bottle. So do we mount the CAT at an angle/vertical or does the fitting reach the top of the CAT so the air is expelled?

What size do you recommend for a P80 install? Guessing the middle size?

Agree with Geoff on the clunk, make it as heavy as you can!

Thanks

Steve
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 AM
marc s

I am delighted to see that you will also be selling filter clunks. I cannot understand why they have not been made before now.
Again John, appreciate your input and ideas on this matter.

So do we mount the CAT at an angle/vertical or does the fitting reach the top of the CAT so the air is expelled?
Steve, the fittings are almost (within a few millimeters) from the topmost inner surface of the tank so in reality close, you can mount the CAT slightly inclined if you wish, horizontally is fine or vertically (with fittings at the top), either way all you might need to do if its mounted horizontally is to push the tail of the jet down a little during filling to 'bubble' the air in one place close to the fittings.

For P80 depends on room really, either the small or medium CAT, naturally if room allows carry the larger volume.

marcs
Old 06-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL... Marc. You must be in your element. At last, after all those years of me nagging, you finally have people telling you to build something heavy I look forward to seeing the CAT's this weekend.
Regards Al
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 AM
marc s

Yep big grin - never thought I would hear that, oh except for the Hawk which you did say needed to be heavier than 20kg ;-)

marcs
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
olnico

Geoff, thanks for the support ;-)

As a spin off from this project is pictured a pleated paper fuel filter clunk, which is made so that if fits through the Dubro style aluminium tank rings which accept those compression fuel bungs. The filters themselves do not fit in the standard form so my trusted machining guru Rich Chant made up the new ends and I re-assembled the filter into the ends to create a new clunk device.

This is a work in progress so comments and feedback as always are very welcome.

marcs

Looking good Marc! Will be fantastic on the Fouga!
Please don't forget the fill plug...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

I dont understand how you can make things that neat. I bet your workshop is very tidy............... Are your socks all lined up in the drawer as well

Dennis
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

Do you anticipate any orientation limitations? I could use one with the nipple facing aft, and with the nipple end tilted up about 10-15 degrees.

thanks,
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Robrow

I think having a good quality range of fuel related accessories and fittings to compliment these would be good sellers, such things as the BVM type poly tubing in different bore sizes, fuel nipples/tank fittings in different sizes and different sized heavy pleated filter clunks...they work great and I've been using my own homemade versions for years.

Rob.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
marc s

Are your socks all lined up in the drawer as well
Nope just need to keep things tidy as I only have a single garage to work from and mess just delays things.....

I could use one with the nipple facing aft, and with the nipple end tilted up about 10-15 degrees
Mmmm, for a small cost you can specify 90 degree fittings..... but generally it should be fine in almost any orientation so long as you can bleed any air off through the vent/fill line.

a good quality range of fuel related accessories and fittings to compliment these would be good sellers
Rob, maybe possible in time, need to see how these go first.

On the topic of fuel tube can anyone tell me exactly what the very flexible fuel tube BVM use in the standard UAT is, the stuff has no markings on it and my SMC rep cannot identify it?

marcs

Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
siclick33

Marc,

Are you talking about the 6mm feed line? If so, I don't find it very flexible at all and use as little of it as possible.

As an aside, I don't really like the BVM clunk tube that a lot of people rave about either as it is too stiff (although I understand it might soften when immersed in kero). I suffered a couple of flameouts recently that were traced to this line being too stiff to let the felt clunk drop to the bottom of the tank.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
marc s

Don't think so, I'm talking about the very flexible stuff that used to get supplied with the BVM UAT, think its about 4mm OD, clear and very soft - more so than any other tubing I have used for airlines and fuel etc.

marcs
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM
siclick33

It sounds like you might be talking about the poly clunk line. I pretty sure the UATs that I have bought only came with the 6mm tube.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Geoff White

Hi Marc, UAT's are supplied with 6mm hard tubing not the very flexible clunk tubing and no I have no idea what it is!

Geoff.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM
marc s

Yep sorry guys long day, what I was thinking about is the flexible line supplied with the BVM Kevlar tank fittings, its 5mm or so diameter and more flexible than anything I have come across - its this stuff I am interested to find out more about.

Best get some sleep

marcs
Old 06-01-2011, 04:28 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Stihl used to supply a beautiful tubing for their chainsaw tanks but I think they changed the formulation a couple of years ago...it was perfect.

you might want to check. The right tubing is going to be important and you obviously already know.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
olnico

On the topic of fuel tube can anyone tell me exactly what the very flexible fuel tube BVM use in the standard UAT is, the stuff has no markings on it and my SMC rep cannot identify it?

marcs

Marc, the article reference is in my fuel article table.
Available at McMasterCarr, ref 5195T64, 3/16" ID.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing/=ckfc6l

This tube has very thin wall and pinches very quickly ( max turn radius 1" ) so it is essential to use a portion of brass tube with it.

An alternative product is this soft clear blue tube:
McMasterCarr ref 5792K32, 1/4" ID.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5195t64/=ckffyi

Max turn radius 1/2".
I suspect that this one might harden with time in the fuel.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
fireblade5437

Marc

I also looked at using the paper pleat idea as a clunk and found that you need to have quite a bit of 'extra' metal to add as weight. Plus will fit in the Dubro size tanks or you can make larger etc.

My idea is as the pics which results in a nice and heavy clunk, i used the same set up in a jet last year and as been 100% and just recently in my CARF Hawk with a JC P120-SX again this has worked 100%

Great design on your filters!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh17258.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	1618086   Click image for larger version

Name:	nj25487.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	1618087   Click image for larger version

Name:	ek15186.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	1618088   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx67882.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	931.2 KB
ID:	1618089  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.