Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 12:52 PM
airborn900
My Feedback: (25)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have 1256 for ailerons. I’ll get another pair for flaps. I have a 1270tg I can use in the stab. And I’ll have to get a steering Servo. That hitec Servo seems like a good choice.

Originally Posted by F16Jeff
Actually,just looked and I used Savox 1256tg on both ailerons and flaps. I used the Savox 1230sg on stabilator.. I hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My F4e is complete

Today I worked on the final steps of radio and control setup, correcting any servo loads, tidy up all the loose wires, and secured air tanks and rx batteries. Only thing I do not have installed is the tailhook. Not sure how I want to mount it or if I want to make it switch activated. For now it will not be there.

I will double check the balance, as it was set at 253mm CG and should still be close to that. If weather is good this weekend, I will take it to the field for steering and braking tests. Also some photo ops. Since I have not flown in months, I will bring another aircraft to get some stick time and loosen back up.

I want to thank everyone for their assistance on this build. All of you were kind and answered my numerous questions and provided excellent advice during the build.

I will report back once I maiden my F4.

Jeff

Last edited by F16Jeff; 05-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:57 AM
F16Jeff

Default Maiden went bad.

Yesterday my buddy took the F4e off for maiden. Flame out just after take off. Gear and flaps were up and she was flying great for the short flight. Made left for return leg and my set it in the weeds nice and flat.
Went to retrieve it and we cannot find it. Looked until dark last night. This morning out bright and early with drones. We found other aircraft but so far no F4. I am thinking someone may have taken it at this point.
Pics - First is last pic before going down. The other is earlier that day.

This was at the Apollo XI field in LA. I will list turbine serial number later. Kingtech 140 G2

Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 PM
airborn900

Originally Posted by F16Jeff
Yesterday my buddy took the F4e off for maiden. Flame out just after take off. Gear and flaps were up and she was flying great for the short flight. Made left for return leg and my set it in the weeds nice and flat.
Went to retrieve it and we cannot find it. Looked until dark last night. This morning out bright and early with drones. We found other aircraft but so far no F4. I am thinking someone may have taken it at this point.
Pics - First is last pic before going down. The other is earlier that day.

This was at the Apollo XI field in LA. I will list turbine serial number later. Kingtech 140 G2

I’m really sorry to hear about your maiden. That sucks. Even worse that you can’t find it. I hope that your able to retrieve it and everything will have survived. Best of luck.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:46 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff,

That really sucks! I hope you find it OK. Sometimes it's hard to judge distance and downed planes are a lot further out than you'd think.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by joeflyer
Jeff,

That really sucks! I hope you find it OK. Sometimes it's hard to judge distance and downed planes are a lot further out than you'd think.

Good luck,
Joe
Thank you Joe,

Yes we have been searching with drones and on foot. Many folks out at a time to try and locate it. There is not even a trace of it. Not going to give up, going back out today after work until I have covered every part of the field.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Javad

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck with your search, how you will find it,
Old 05-23-2020, 04:01 AM
Javad

Any luck to find it?
Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 PM
F16Jeff

Hi Everyone,

Quick update on my missing F4 Phantom. At this time, it still has not been found. Myself and others have been out searching all week. We used drones from above, as well as several people looking on the ground. The drones mapped out the area and since it looks to have landed close to the road, we are under the impression that someone has the aircraft. During our search, we have not found any debris or a sign that the aircraft broke up. Los Angeles Police Department is also on the look out for the aircraft. In the event anyone comes up with a good deal on a new Kingtech K140g2 Serial #1097, that is my turbine and has been reported.

At this point, I am looking at my options of ordering another F4e and begin the process again. That is how much I really liked this aircraft.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 PM
Javad

Hello Jeff,

I wished you could give us better news, but never mind, sun is rising after passing each night. F-4 is a legendary pice of art, so it worth your idea to get a new one,

Regards,

Javad,
The following users liked this post:
F16Jeff (06-09-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Jeff,

I'm really sorry about that. I'm glad you are going to give it another go. My first F-4 was a 1/7th Fei Bao one. I lost it on the second flight when I let it get too slow at the top of a loop and it spun in - burst into flames and a total loss. I'm glad I went for another one - although smaller.

I'm waiting for some good weather to get more flights on mine. I ahve two flights after the re-maiden, but I haven't gotten a chance to get it out again.

Bob
Old 06-09-2020, 05:24 PM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Jeff,

I'm really sorry about that. I'm glad you are going to give it another go. My first F-4 was a 1/7th Fei Bao one. I lost it on the second flight when I let it get too slow at the top of a loop and it spun in - burst into flames and a total loss. I'm glad I went for another one - although smaller.

I'm waiting for some good weather to get more flights on mine. I ahve two flights after the re-maiden, but I haven't gotten a chance to get it out again.

Bob
Bob,

I hope you get your good weather soon.

I will place my order with Dirk at Pacific RC Jets next week. Then the waiting will begin. At least this one should go quicker son e I already did it once. Going to see if I can get SkyMaster to paint it correctly this time and not to drill the tanks again. Drilling my own tank holes worked out great for putting the fuel pickups in better locations.

Keep burning holes in the sky!

Jeff
Old 06-11-2020, 05:37 AM
joeflyer

Jeff,

Have you checked to see if your homeowners and AMA insurance will cover your loss? I believe AMA covers thefts up to $1000.

Joe
Old 06-11-2020, 06:34 AM
F16Jeff

Jeff,

Have you checked to see if your homeowners and AMA insurance will cover your loss? I believe AMA covers thefts up to $1000.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I checked with AMA and it is a secondary policy. They said it has to be taken from a locked vehicle or house. I am still going to submit and see if they will pay out. It was stolen at an AMA sanctioned field.
I did file a claim with homeowners and they are working on it. Not sure how much they will pay.

just really frustrated that someone would steal m an aircraft at a model field. Plus, it made it even worse for me since it was new and first time out.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 AM
F16Jeff

An update to my missing F4e Phantom.

As of today, it still has not be found. Since there are not many of these jets around, it will most likely show up somewhere. Now it will just be a matter of patience and see if it turns up. There is hope, a fellow jet modeler just received two jet aircraft back that were stolen from his storage about 3 years ago.

On another note:

I placed my order last night with Dirk and Pacific RC Jets for another F4e in Thunderbirds scheme to begin the process all over again. Now the waiting begins for the new jet to arrive. It will be powered by the Kingtech 140 again.

Hoping everyone else is out enjoying their F4s.

Jeff

Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM
airborn900

Has anyone found a good source for wing bags for this?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 PM
airborn900

I got pictures from Dirk. My f-4 should be shipping out this week.

😁
Old 08-20-2020, 07:31 PM
airborn900

F-4 showed up this week. Just got to open her up today. Fit seems to be very good. There are some blemishes gin the paint. They look like scuffs from shipping. Any idea where to get touch up paint. I have the camo color scheme and I need black olive drab and tan paint.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:37 PM
airborn900

Second question. There is no manual in my box. Is it supposed to come with something or is there an internet link where I can download a manual?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:03 PM
joeflyer

You could try asking Skymaster to send you some touch up paint. Tell them it's due to shipping damage and they shouldn't charge you. My experience in the past is that what they send isn't necessarily a perfect match. If that doesn't work out try Model Master paint.

If you have a hobby shop close by that carries Model Master paints then I'd suggest taking a part in with you to select the closest match. Model Master carries most FS numbered paints. You probably won't find a perfect match. You should be able to get something pretty close. If it's not close enough you might also want to buy some flat white, flat black, or whatever color you think it needs to mix with it to match.

When Skymaster came out with the 1/9.5 F-4 they didn't issue a manual for it. They added a page to the 1/7.5 F-4 manual showing the throws & CG for the 1/9.5. You can find it at: Skymaster ARF PLUS F

Keep in mind that the manual was written for the 1/7.5 and there are differences. Your best bet is to read this whole thread to know what those differences are. Also there are some mods that you will need to make. Some that come to mind are: re-route the air lines and servo lines from the wings so that they enter the fuse at a convenient spot, cut out the front of the cockpit to provide clearance for the steering servo, plug and relocate the fuel bungs on the tanks. I'm sure there are a few other things, but they're covered in this thread. Pay attention to Woody's build, my build, and several others.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 08-21-2020, 04:12 PM
airborn900

You could try asking Skymaster to send you some touch up paint. Tell them it's due to shipping damage and they shouldn't charge you. My experience in the past is that what they send isn't necessarily a perfect match. If that doesn't work out try Model Master paint.

If you have a hobby shop close by that carries Model Master paints then I'd suggest taking a part in with you to select the closest match. Model Master carries most FS numbered paints. You probably won't find a perfect match. You should be able to get something pretty close. If it's not close enough you might also want to buy some flat white, flat black, or whatever color you think it needs to mix with it to match.

When Skymaster came out with the 1/9.5 F-4 they didn't issue a manual for it. They added a page to the 1/7.5 F-4 manual showing the throws & CG for the 1/9.5. You can find it at: Skymaster ARF PLUS F

Keep in mind that the manual was written for the 1/7.5 and there are differences. Your best bet is to read this whole thread to know what those differences are. Also there are some mods that you will need to make. Some that come to mind are: re-route the air lines and servo lines from the wings so that they enter the fuse at a convenient spot, cut out the front of the cockpit to provide clearance for the steering servo, plug and relocate the fuel bungs on the tanks. I'm sure there are a few other things, but they're covered in this thread. Pay attention to Woody's build, my build, and several others.

Good luck,
Joe
thank you for the input. I was able to get some paint at the LHS today. I’ll take it from there. I do have a goofy one with one aileron. It seems to have a double hinge point. I’m going to have to get some light ply and see about making a Reinforcement Where the fiberglass is cracked and acting as a hinge.

I have another project on the build table so the f4 is going to take a spot on the shelf for the moment I till I finish my Elan.

I downloaded the manual. One big difference I see at first glance is the rudder servo setup. I’ll have to go back through this thread and see how you guys did it. Also Maj Woody lives close by. If I get real jammed up I’ll call him.

this is my first kit of this type. The last few have been really straight forward with little to no mods. I look forward the the challenge this one will be.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:14 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I finally got some good weather and other things fall into place to get some flights on my F-4. I got three flights today. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures (I will next time), but my F-4 is back into the great shape it was many years ago before the engine failure put it into a tree.

It a fun plane that flys well! Pictures next time...

Bob
Old 09-14-2020, 01:38 PM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I finally got some good weather and other things fall into place to get some flights on my F-4. I got three flights today. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures (I will next time), but my F-4 is back into the great shape it was many years ago before the engine failure put it into a tree.

It a fun plane that flys well! Pictures next time...

Bob
Hi Bob,
Glad to hear you were able to fly again. I am patiently waiting for Skymaster to finish up my F4 and get it shipped out. I plan to put the Kingtech 142g4 in the new one.

Keep flying and look forward to more pics and video if you can get them.

Take care
Jeff
Old 12-21-2020, 07:19 PM
airborn900

Somewhere in this thread I thought we talked about afterburner rings. Anyway, I can’t find it. Can someone let me know what the correct size is for afterburner rings?

thanks

Old 12-21-2020, 08:02 PM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by airborn900
Somewhere in this thread I thought we talked about afterburner rings. Anyway, I can’t find it. Can someone let me know what the correct size is for afterburner rings?

thanks
Here are the ones I ordered for my F4e. They are 100mm.

Amazon Amazon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.