Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Major setback! Super Bummed!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Major setback! Super Bummed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major setback! Super Bummed!!

[:@]

I'm almost done with my first Jet, a MBA Tornado, when I had a major set back today! Right now I'm soooo P#$$%! I can't see straight...
I was finalizing the radio setup and trying to figure out the matchbox I was using on the flaps. Now as simple as a matchbox may appear, I have never used one and figured it wouldn't be too hard to set up given my 25+yrs in RC. I was going by the JR/MB instructions and nothing seemed to be happening to my flaps? Everything else was working as advertised on my JR1222rx and dual life batteries setup. As i was trying to figure out what I was or wasn't doing wrong I noticed in the instructions a note saying the matchbox will not work without a backup battery or a jumper? So I figured, heck I'll use a jumper as I'm gonna just run off the rx power? So I hook the jumper and turn the rx on and all of a sudden smoke starts pouring from the jumper!!! AWE #$%@!
I frantically turned the rx off, and took out the jumper, then thought WTH? Did I hook something up wrong? Was the matchbox defective? (I bought it used, NEVER do that again!) Start over... turn back on with jumper out, then, the whole servo wire bundle starts smoking!!!! I was beside myself! Now I don't know how much damage is in the setup? Servos? RX? batteries? After my wife calmed me down... that an some Kettle one, I turned everything off in my shop, made sure the plane wasn't in flames and called it a day! Now I'm in here writing to you guys for advice... I'm so PO'd I'm ready to quit before I've even started! Help!!!! I don't really wanna quit turbine jets before I've even started... Is there a trick to using the matchbox? I'm hoping the servos are ok and when I can see straight and don't wan't to burn my plane, I'll take the servo cycler and check the servos one by one and maybe test the RX, before I order a new one or send this one into JR?...PO'd in Gig Harbor...

Z
Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Major setback! Super Bummed!!

I stopped reading after Kettle One... then I went and had some. . If you're ready to quit after one bad experience with a matchbox, jets are not for you my friend! You have a 12 channel rx... Skip the matchbox.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 PM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

12X.....skip the matchbox..
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you bought a used Matchbox for a reason, someone else decided not to use it too. Can the matchbox, pull most of your wires out and just start again.......

Mark
Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
billygoat80
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry to hear your troubles man! I am new to turbines as well and understand where your mind is at right now. Your on the right track... Stop, take break, ask for help, then refocus.... I will mirror the thoughts here on the matchbox, do without it if you can. If you are maxed out on your channels and need it, then buy a new one and find someone who can walk you through it.

As far as damage assesment, I will yield to the more experienced guys here. Prolly someone like you once you have a clear head. Best wishes with the setup.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
jzuniga

Thanks guys... Your right I'll just mix the channels and skip the matchbox! As for the jet... after a quick assessment, all servos appear to be working, RX seems to be working fine, only the matchbox wire and jumper as well as a two other y harnesses were damaged... We'll see tomorrow;-)

Z
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using the amplified "Y" harness?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 PM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Are you using the amplified ''Y'' harness?
Don't even know what your talking about bcovish???

Z
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM
jzuniga

I'm using the supplied Y harnesses with my kit... they came from MBA...

Z
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just FYI, in the future, the so called "jumper" is a special plug that will allow the servos on the matchbox to be powered up by the receiver battery, you cannot plug a servo extension coming from the receiver on the Aux Bat input of the matchbox, only a power connection from a secondary battery, that is why you had this issue. Seems whomever sold you the matchbox did not include the "jumper" plug
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

Just FYI, in the future, the so called ''jumper'' is a special plug that will allow the servos on the matchbox to be powered up by the receiver battery, you cannot plug a servo extension coming from the receiver on the Aux Bat input of the matchbox, only a power connection from a secondary battery, that is why you had this issue. Seems whomever sold you the matchbox did not include the ''jumper'' plug
Thanks Ruiz...
That is exactly what happened... and me being a rookie, I had no clue and used a bind plug from Spektrum/JR, thinking that would work?
Lesson learned...

Z
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

That's why we buy high-end radios, Jaime. No matchbox required. See you at the field one of these days.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Jamie! Don't feel bad for getting frustrated by this. It's natural to #$%$$^& blow your top when you see smoke coming out from your setup... and it took you how long to get everything deliberated over, shopped for, bought, shipped to your pad and the free time coordinated within the family to make it all happen?? We've all been there in one form or another. For me it's wasted time that kills me the most, and since "our" time comes in blocks of free time, I'll bet I know precisely how you were feeling bro

But since you have a nice radio, this is a blessing in disguise. You'll get it all sorted and you'll have less things to break and cause trouble in your jet now that you'll be minus one more complicated component. Jet number 2 will be better for your upgraded radio programming setup skills you'll get sorted on this one.

PS, did you get that P-100 yet?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Shaun Evans

Ha!

Don't you LOVE stuff like this?? If I had a dollar for every time I pulled something like this... I spent the first full day/night of Kentucky Jets in my hotel room finishing off my almost-done F-15 I took to the meet. Everything was good-to-go and when I tested the air systems, I had a hard leak on my speed-brake valve. It was the black plastic valve Yellow supplies with our Fun-Key gear. Those are usually more bullet-proof than any other valves I've ever seen, so I was puzzled by the sudden leak. The valve is on a tray WAY up in the nose, and a total PITA to get to. I considered just taping down the brake, but I figured now was a good time to get it squared away. Anyway, I COULD NOT find the leak! I could hear it loud and clear at the valve, but I couldn't isolate it. I cut all the zip-ties and undid all the mountings so I could get the valve out and water-test it. Submerged it and guess what? No bubbles. I could still hear the damned thing hissing and see the pressure reading drop, but not a single bubble! After adding almost four hours to my work time, guess what I finally figured out? I, being the gifted genius that I am, plugged the up and down lines going out to the hatch to each other at the quick-disconnects (because I didn't want to walk the 15 feet and get the hatch to plug the disconnects into the brake lines themselves). With this two-way valve, it was doing exactly what it was supposed to...dumping the high-pressure air when you moved the plunger.

That's not as bad as smoke, but once I realized how stupid I was, and how many hours I'd just wasted, I put the thing down for the night and went and had a beer. That helped me laugh at myself and not jump up and down on the jet. In your case, you'll just download instructions for gadgets like a Matchbox next time and always be the wiser for it. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

That's a good one! We all try to screw a light bulb in with a rotating room every once in a while; the trick is to catch it before we actually build the rotating room and then play it off like it was a necessary part of the process
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
jzuniga

Thanks Guys again...

Ed you hit the nail on the head my friend!;-) BTW, nothing yet on the p100... still in my sights though... depends on the outcome of this bird...

rcguy, I've been going to MRRCS during the week, the last two times have been awesome! took out the yak and am getting real comfortable with her;-)

Yellow, I hear ya... but like I said before thank god it was only a lost mb and some servo wires.. I should be caught up and back on track by tomorrow;-)

PS... a good nights sleep and a few shots of Kettle One help!

Z
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Jaime hermano sorry to here that you had such a hard time with the match box. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
jzuniga

Thanks Henry... Nah, all is good, I just got some new Y harnesses and a couple extensions and am going to mix the flaps w/ my radio. Should be good to go in a few days... Thanks again..

Z
Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Steve N.

Jamie... You mentioned that you were using a 1222 receiver, but you didn't mention the transmitter. I assume (like others) that you're using a 12X. If so, I can't see any reason for you to need the use of MatchBox or a Y-Wire. Even with twin tail-booms, you can do it all within the transmitter (except smoke?). If you do run out of channels and have to link two surfaces, I would recommend a new MatchBox with instuctions and/or assistance. If you do end up using a MB, I'd use it between nose steering and ruuders(s), rather than between two control surfaces.

I would NOT recommend the use of Y-wires. Not only would the setup be more precise with a MB, but I've seeen/heard of too many failures with Y-wires. One failure in a jet is too many.

Just my two cents worth.... Good luck getting it all sorted out.
Steve
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Steve N.

I would NOT recommend the use of Y-wires. Not only would the setup be more precise with a MB, but I've seeen/heard of too many failures with Y-wires. One failure in a jet is too many.

Steve

Please tell us about all of these Y harness issues. I have had one y harness (an amplified one) years ago crap out. I have seen a couple of matchboxes crap out but have had good luck with them as well. If you have the channels mix it, if you don't a matchbox or a Y harness is a perfectly acceptable way of using two servos together.

DR
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Steve

Please tell us about all of these Y harness issues. I have had one y harness (an amplified one) years ago crap out. I have seen a couple of matchboxes crap out but have had good luck with them as well. If you have the channels mix it, if you don't a matchbox or a Y harness is a perfectly acceptable way of using two servos together.

DR

Yep,

I'm with you on that, Dave. Never had a problem with a Y. So far, no probs with Matchboxes, either.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Steve N.

I've had a reversing Y-wire fail on me where one side simply quit working. I also found that the centering function wasn't fine enough for equal centering. A friend (long time jet guy) had standard Y-wire fail after some time when the solder joint broke down. I'm not certain, but I believe the problem was intermittent and took forever to track down. I guess if it failed when linking two servos on a wing, it wouldn't be critical. But I wouldn't want it to fail leaving only a flap or elevator working on one side of a jet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they can't/shouldn't be trusted. I'm just saying that I'd much prefer to mix the channels if I've got them. Like I said, this is just my two cents worth.

On the other hand, I have used MatchBoxes in the past with good success and I'm not aware of any associates that have had MB failures. On the other other hand, I used three Smart-Fly Equalizers on my 3rd scale Cap for 850 flights... never an issue.

Steve
Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
jzuniga

Jamie... You mentioned that you were using a 1222 receiver, but you didn't mention the transmitter. I assume (like others) that you're using a 12X. If so, I can't see any reason for you to need the use of MatchBox or a Y-Wire. Even with twin tail-booms, you can do it all within the transmitter (except smoke?). If you do run out of channels and have to link two surfaces, I would recommend a new MatchBox with instuctions and/or assistance. If you do end up using a MB, I'd use it between nose steering and ruuders(s), rather than between two control surfaces.

Steve
Steve,

Actually I have an 9503... I just happen to have a 1222rx... I still think I could do the flap mixing, but the rudders, ailerons, and elevator would be "Y" harnesses...

Z
Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
jzuniga

Just to clarify, my MB failure was due to ignorance in that I knew nothing of the jumper that needs to be used in order for the MB to work without a separate battery source! In reading the instructions I stumbled upon the note for the jumper and since I had bought a used one and the person whom I purchased the MB did not include the jumper, nor advised me on it, I used a spektrum bind plug as a jumper. Obviously, that will not work, and the jumper fried, as well as the MB (I believe?)... I also fried a couple of Y harnesses in my bundle that I can only attribute too being to close to the MB extension I had going to my RX. It was a total rookie mistake. As such, I will use the mixing for the flaps and Y's on the remaining control surfaces... Also, I have never had any problems using Y harnesses in 20+ yrs of RC flying...

Z
Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Ummm....

Whats a matchbox?

But seriously, what is a Jumper?

Don't give up man, and follow everyone's advice. You don't need, or want, a match box. Where you can, keep it simple. Use your 12x to its potential.

Raf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.