Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic RF link quality tools/database

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic RF link quality tools/database

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Weatronic RF link quality tools/database

OK. I've had a look at the log.
First of all you are not the first one to show me a log like this with Rx frames showing zero and RSSI showing -136.
This is to me the default power up condition. Look at the beginning of the log, when you switch the rsytem ON. It shows the same thing: RSSI -136 and zero frames. Also the receiver status shows 0.
Interestingly enough the second event shows a Rx status at zero.
Because the event is ponctual, I believe that it is a kind of datalog or receiver bug.
At this stage I could think of two things: Either a recorder/logger bug or a micro shutdown of the receiver ( thus the log shows 0 as rx status ).

Could you revert to the previous firmware 2.33 and do similar tests ?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Oli.

I think you might be correct suggesting is a datalog or receiver bug. I do not think it is a micro shutdown of the receiver, as the data is being collected all the way through the log, and if it did shut down, I would expect a “power up†or some other message in the events records.

If you look at the channel and servo data at 760s, you will see that they all change, which plainly did not happen during that flight. The servo fields all record a value of 0%, even the unused ones. There was no fail safe events, which is my main concern of course.

I suppose I could revert this Rx back to Ver 2.33. and do some testing. I might keep it at 2.50 for now and see if this issue reoccurs. If it does, I will try a flight using 2.33. I will be doing some more flying with it in 3 weeks.

I suppose there is some irony here in that if I was using any other radio brand system, I would have idea that there was any problem.

Thanks for you help, I will let you know what I find.

Roger
Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 PM
olnico

Thank you Roger. I will follow up the problem to Alwin along with the logs at JP and see what he has to say about it.
Cheers.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Hi Guys,

Sorry not to have made any contribution or assistance in recent weeks but have been travelling extensively in US and Europe, no equipment to hand !

I am back home in Australia now ready for our big jet event next week at Temora, so sorry to miss JetPower, do hope those attending have a great time. Have a beer, or three, for me.

Big news : Alwin Mueller, the brains behind this extraordinary equipment is now CEO of Weatronics. I had along discussion with Alwin at Dayton and appraised him of the difficulties in communications etc in Weatronics, but just how much we appreciate the equipment. I do hope things get a lot better on that side of the business.

I should have the latest Blue tooth Tx module very soon and will bring news on it here and in RCJI. I know it was advertised in Jet Power magazine but these things are planned well in advance and as I know from my own business things can change to the best laid plans, its very frustrating for all concerned.

Conversion of my entire fleet continues, just for fun I have installed a tiny 6 channel receiver in a little electric heli for flying on the lawn !

Regards,

David.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM
fireblade5437

David

Note I have just written on my order to Weatronics:

I have used my MX22 Tx with the Tx DV3 very little around 6 flights and testing and already i have a cable fault at one end of the wire! These connectors are good for inside a electronic box but not strong enough for outside of electronic box etc...if i move cable about I loose PWM signal NOT GOOD! I feel I want to change these connectors or solder a more heavy duty cable between Tx module on radio and DV3 Tx unit

I know it's one end of the cable as I have unplugged and swapped etc and fault stays with the one particular end, I do not know if cable has fractured or bad joint on where the sharp pins press into the cable making contact with inner core.

From the first day of owning this set up I wondered how long this cable would last for [&o]

Still no English voice file ... [&o]

Regards

Alan

The only reason i have just noticed this is I have just received my Micro update cable which I ordered weeks ago, after updating my 12 ch Gyro III I noticed on Giga that my Tx voltage was showing zero and fault LED was flashing etc also when moving the cable end around my PWM was dropping out.

I was just getting ready to install the Rx in my CARF Hawk... thank god I did not.

David, like I have said to Weatronics these type of cable connectors are designed for linking up PCB's internally and are not suited for outside use where they can be moved around also if you have to change Tx modules etc
It would have been better if they had used Ethernet type plug at least they are harder wearing... THESE PLUGS ARE TOO FRAGILE

I will not be using mine until I get a new one also I will look at soldering in a better type the only problem is the Tx module is glued together :-(

It will not be long before someone has this Tx cable fail.... I was very near to this.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67283.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1661873  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM
roger.alli

Post moved to the other thread.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Hi Alan and Roger,

Firstly Alan, sorry no time to meet up when in UK family commitments etc. just filled every day.

I completely agree on the cable there MUST be better solution. I am paranoid about that cable and on my Txs it is secured to the carrying handle with tie wraps and I am EXTREMELY careful to keep my fingers clear of it to prevent any flexing.

Re English file. Alwin told me in Dayton it was ready !! If you get to JP perhaps you could remind him !

Roger, not sure if the Bluetooth will be here by Temora but I'll bring my laptop to the flight line and see if using 2.5 we can display it in real time.

I monitored Lance Campbell's SR71 at Dayton that way as we had re-arranged one antenna positions to try and optimise reception.

Regards,

David.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
fireblade5437

David

Hope you are on the mend, no worries i know planning can quicky go awol.

Had email from Wea today stating that they know the cables can sometimes be damaged even after manufacturing and you have to be careful with them etc.

I have been looking at alternatives, the pitch is 1.27mm 4 way. Like I said these connectors are designed for 'inside encloses' where movement will not occur.

If I can get into the Tx module I am definitely going to get some high quality flexible 4 core and solder either end to the PCB

I have done a bit of research on the cable they use, a flat style 2651 with cores of 7 strands/28 AWG which in all fairness would not take a lot to fracture by bending forward/backwards a little. Where they clamp the assembly to pierce the core the actual contact area is not that great that is why this type of plug/cable joint is not ideal when movement is likely.

Last time I flew my Edge 540 which I have been using for testing I had shall I say a moment where I knew it was not me....

Now I have had that cable fail at one end (hardly used alot) there is no way that Wea is going in my Hawk until I have a solid soldered link
All that technology and it comes down to a flimsy pcb header/plug []

I'll let you know what I do, I don't suppose you can get a spare Tx box that's not been glued?

Alan
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM
olnico

OK, I talked to Alwin this WE at JP.
The failsafe events shown previously are bugs introduced on revision 2.5 and 2.51, corrected with 2.55.
To make it simple, the bandwith of the RF link is now made variable. That way it can be reduced when no order is transmitted for certain channels, and used to increase the precision of the datalogging ( mux board coming up ).
The problem is coming when the bandwith is modified by the system. This was introducing a spurious failsafe event on the log that is not real.

Weatronics is now selling new patch antennas for the receivers. These antennas increase the coverage. They have no weak direction like a wire antenna has. I took two of them and will test them soon.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

A few weeks ago I reported to Gerhard and Oli that I was getting short failsafe events every 2-4 minutes with my Weatronic 12CH Micro receiver. I have since found out my Futaba 9C Tx was set for PCM and when I switched back to PPM the problem disappeared in bench tests. Today I put in one flight and no fail safe events. Below are some numbers from my log file today.

Type of receiver: Wea 12CH Micro v.2.08
Type of Tx: Futaba 9C Wea TX module v.2.03
PCM/PPM mode? PPM
Region? USA
Antennas angle and on what plane ?
Left No1 antenna (Antenna End Rx) on the Horizontal axis
Right No2 antenna (Antenna End Rx)on the Vertical axis

Data analysis for the flight:

Lowest RSSI 1 rx: -78.5
Lowest RSSI 2 rx: -72.0
Lowest frame rx1: 86
Lowest frame rx2: 92

Failsafe ? 0

Losses of feedback communication (0 events )

Lowest RSSI 1 tx: -86.5
Lowest RSSI 2 tx: -86.0
Lowest frame tx1: 55
Lowest frame tx2: 88

Test flight was in a Cosmic Wind, model felt very solid now.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Fortune7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve completed some early flights with my Eurosport and Micro 12 / GyroIII setup; the log information is proving extremely valuable. Confidence in the RF link is high, and I’ll try to post here a couple of screenshots of two log files for comparison. Both have RF link information in – hopefully – Oli’s requested format and appended below are comparative SPEED (GPS and Vario pitot/static) and Height (GPS and Vario baro) for interest. This supplementary info is fascinating to see, but perhaps should be the subject of a separate thread!

Screen 1 was taken from an early ‘proving’ flight and the link quality is truly excellent. Here, there was just the jet flying and almost certainly no other transmitters on and little other RF interference.

Screen 2 was taken yesterday at a very busy Jet meeting (Classic Jets in UK) where due to excellent late-summer weather there were some 73 pilots registered and always 4 in the air at once. Imagine also a crowded flight line where signal degradation and/or blanking occurred with the model on the ground. There seems to be a ‘bad’ area at the end of the flight and landing where there were probably several people between the Tx and model.
I know I preach to the ‘converted’ here but to see real evidence of robust RF link quality throughout the flight does wonders for the confidence!

Thanks to HarryC and others for the early analysis and hands-on tuition with Nav View, and of course contributors to this thread....If anyone wants to see the .nav files, let me know.
Cheers, Andy

Edit: Still can't work-out how to get images next to the text......! Sorry for the double-attachment of 'screen 1'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49039.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1668626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25462.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1668627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27946.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1668628  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
oistein
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have to say that we have now seen that cable problem on three systems here in my club. I saw the problem while turning my system on. I can touch the cable and it will show on the control surfaces as well is the error light on the TX module will blink. I changed my cable and it was good but i guess it is just a matter of time before it goes bad too. So for me its back to fasst until this get solved. I hope it will. The new DV4 has the same cable connector as far i can see. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine he taped the connetors firmly to the cases using duct tape. I beleive this has to be changed. It a VERY VERY serious matter.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM
fireblade5437

That's why I soldered my cables!

I am not using the system at present and also a fellow club member lost his Nano jet on Weatronics a few weeks back......

Alan