Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Russian Afterburner Featured at JWM 2011 video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Russian Afterburner Featured at JWM 2011 video

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Russian Afterburner Featured at JWM 2011 video

Thanks, I figured that was the case, just making sure.

Is the waiver requirement really for the operation of the engine and sub-systems or the speed of the airplane or both?

Tim
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Thanks, I figured that was the case, just making sure.

Is the waiver requirement really for the operation of the engine and sub-systems or the speed of the airplane or both?

Tim
That's part of it, but it is a mechanism that allows us to operate turbine powered aircraft in a specified framework that originally was outside the AMA safety code; and allows the waiver holder to enjoy this facet of the hobby under a new set of AMA safety regs and to fall under the AMA insurance coverage.

END OF THE AMA LESSON

Anyone have other videos of the AB?[8D]
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
knobby1

ORIGINAL: George

Anyone have other videos of the AB?[8D]
Here's a couple of vids of my Aussie 1/4 scale dragster with one fitted, not as clean burning as the Russian effort but works pretty well nonetheless. I get ~30%, (~10lb) augmentation depending on ambient conditions....on a nice cool crisp day it really cracks.....she's damn thirsty though, the A/B by itself will drink 1200ml of fuel in less than 30 secs...[X(] The car has been clocked at 146mph during a speed meet at a drag strip.....has working chutes too..!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk5-evHF1uA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-UC5afVIM

Cheers,
Smithy.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Smithy!![8D]
Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 03fomoco
...augmented turbojets have an always will be very finicky. Very fine line when controlling EPR (engine pressure ratio) to avoid stalls and blowouts.
Hmmm...sounds a lot like a TF-30

Sluggo
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What metals are you referring to? Titanium? Oh, I was stoked seeing this... hope he continues the effort sometime in the future.

I wish AMA was a bit more open minded about pushing the boundary limits(not just jets).. at least my dad has a farm (and mind) big enough to let me have this kind of fun.

ORIGINAL: 03fomoco

Very impressive, augmented turbojets have an always will be very finicky. Very fine line when controlling EPR (engine pressure ratio) to avoid stalls and blowouts. The modern turbofan made this much easier but still much more control needed than what a non-augmented turbojet needs. One item to note was the lack of any type of secondary cooling or ''boundary layer'' for cooling of metal parts. Leave it in burner and it would soon look like the incredible pictures of the old J58 (SR-71 engine) where it would look so hot as to almost appear translucent. Good engineering and extreme metals are needed for continued operation.

People like this are what take things to the next level!

A modern 4th generation fighter engine is burning about 1.5 gallons a second or around 30k pounds an hour in full aug. I like how you can see the scale effect of this in the fuel jug he is using and how inefficient an after burning system is.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:57 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would AMA care about afterburners anyway? I'm just curious. It seems to me that they are no more or less dangerous than a pulse jet engine.

Andy
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Jgwright

Working model afterburners have been around for some time. There was a commercial firm in Germany making them called Skypipe but I guess that there was no commercial sales and the firm is no longer operating. They used a KJ66 size engine with an afterburner. I guess the AMA attitude did not help. I have only seen one plane fly with an afterburner once in Germany in 2004 and it was interesting but not as spectacular as you might imagine. It was a home constructed one and worked well and there were no 'flames' visible. You could hear the roar as it was switched on. Now we have such powerful engines in such light weights it removes any benefit from having them. Having said that the Russian one looks the most competant and certainly works well.

John
Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM
knobby1

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

What metals are you referring to? Titanium?

No, titanium is not much good for this sort of thing, we're talking high temp stainless type materials such as Inconel, hastalloy and the like. John is correct about the "Skypipe" from several years back, I do remember seeing it.

It's actually quite difficult to get a decent burning A/B system for our small engines, we can quite easily scale down everything mechanical, but it's our inability to scale down air and fuel molecules which can cause problems, giving the fuel enough oxygen and the time to burn is where we can find problems, as can be seen in both the above examples, the tailpipe is quite a bit longer than the engine itself to allow enough time for the fuel to burn within the can. The engine itself doesn't take kindly to reverse pressures generated inside the A/B can. One has to do their homework to work out the pressure ratios and fuel burn requirements etc... They're horribly inefficient and thirsty, for a 30% increase in thrust, you use ~500% more fuel..!

When up to a decent rpm there should be very little flame visible outside the exhaust. If you've seen real jet dragsters in action, they do plenty of low rpm burns to give a nice fire show for the crowd. I try to do this when I do static shows with my little 1/4 scale dragster at my local drag strip. The "big" kids are the ones who enjoy it the most..! Me included.

Cheers,
Smithy.