Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 PM
lxfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Hi,
Any feedback on using a smaller size turbine(140 size) on the Viperjet ?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone flown their Vipers yet? Are the 8411's working well in the stabs?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

All the CARF guys are now using Graupner servos. 13kg torque is the one they use, but they are saying 8411 is OK too at 11kg.

Dave W
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 AM
cassiemitch

Its gone a bit quite . Is there more build photos of this nice jet ?  More photos guys .
Old 10-09-2012, 04:48 AM
lucapieroni

ORIGINAL: pfact

HI guys,

I got a little more done on my VIper.

I installed the wing reinforcement kit from CARF - the instructions were great and other than it being a bit messy wasn't very hard.

The aileron servo installation is pretty straight forward. I used aluminum mounts that I bought from Dreamworks (first photo), 8711 servos, and SWB 1'' double lock control arms for clevis. I attached the mounts to the cover plate with 4, 3mm button head screws and nylock nuts (second photo). I had to trim the lip of the opening in the wing a bit to get the servo mounts to fit but they make for a secure, clean installation. CARF did a nice job of including a reinforcement plate under the wing opening which makes for a very secure attachment for the cover plate. Note that I didn't use the rubber grommets in the servos to reduce the risk of flutter, ala BVM. I used a 6mm titanium turnbuckle to connect the servo to the aileron control horns, a 55mm one would have been ideal. I received wooden servo mounts with the wing reinforcement kit that CARF sent out but they arrived a day too late - if I had had them I would have used them instead.

I also tackled the flap servo installation. Servo mounting is easy if you have a long enough screw driver. I used an untrimmed JR nylon servo horn and the shorter of the 2, 3mm push rods in the wing hardware bag. It just skims along the upper skin of the wing without distorting it. The opening for the flap push rod was 3mm too far inboard to line up with the servo horn if a clevis is used so I widened it a little to keep the push rod from rubbing on the aft wing plate. Other than that flap installation was simple.

Next up is the rudder

Phil
Hi phil and hi to all viperjet owners,
I have a viperjet carf and I have just finished to assemble it, maiden might be for this weekend but I have heard nothing about the wings reinforcement, you could clarify what it is so that I can check if mine is ok or it has to be modified?
thanks in advance...
I will let you know how the story will end. [8D]

B.Regards
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Luca.

As far as I was aware your viper was from the latest batch and had the up to date wing construction. Carf were advising that customers with kits from the very early batches to add reinforcement to part of the wing. Let me check with the guys at CARF just to make sure.
Regards Al
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

All kits should be logged with CARF, they have made several steps on the model, the latest mods I had last week were including a carbon sleeve that now goes inside the ali wing tube. The wing leading edges are the main change as the issues we had were coming from there. If the wing is squeezed during assembly it could crack the LE joint.
We will be flying a Viper in the next week with the latest wings and tube, the new wings have a tube like the UL to stop the issue ever occuring again.

Dave
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 AM
lucapieroni

ORIGINAL: Ali

Hi Luca.

As far as I was aware your viper was from the latest batch and had the up to date wing construction. Carf were advising that customers with kits from the very early batches to add reinforcement to part of the wing. Let me check with the guys at CARF just to make sure.
Regards Al
Hi Ali
[X(]
best service in the shop
best service in the forum

Live service [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 AM
lucapieroni

After some emails with the kind mr. ALI ....... I received confirmation that my viperjet have all the latest updates so yesterday the maiden flight was taken.
The model flies very well , the flight characteristics are very similar to his predecessor, although it has a heavier tail.
Now, it's the time to customize the winglets and apply a special paint scheme...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16897.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1811491  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
zeev barnes

WOW
This jet looks great
I just recived my viper
I am planing to use electric retract
Does any one can recommend the right one
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Dave Wilshere

A customer of mine fitted electric retracts and removed them before the first flight! He was a big fan of electric retracts, but has said he thinks they have some more work to do and has gone back to std air retracts offered by CARF.

Dw
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM
zeev barnes

Do you know if CARF are going to make an electric retract for this jet?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Dave Wilshere

If someone makes a totally reliable set that will fit...they will offer them.
The wing requires a low profile unit. I don't see it happening in the near future.
From what I have seen, we are at a very early stage of electric retract development and even with plenty of development by the companies, we know that real world use is what is needed to fully develope these systems. Temperature and humidity, dust content etc will affect the drive system and I think adjustments to the designs will continue to be made for a while yet. We will see!

Dw
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zeev,

I had Down and Locked convert my retracts to electric - we don''t have a lot of flights on them yet but they work beautifully. The only downside is cost - the conversion adds $550 to the cost of the retracts.

I am converting my Ultralightning Lightning to electric as well.

Phil

Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
zeev barnes

Thanks guys for this information
I think I will use CARF air retract set
I will order from my local dealer
Best
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter from Altecare sells an electric set for the viper, good guy to deal with.

Chatty.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM
zeev barnes

Chatty
Thank you for this information
I will contact him
Best
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Mark H

I have just finished building a CARF Viper, Tighten your seat belts, Over many years I have built many models both arf artf and others.
All i can say is i am totally blown away by the standard of this product, every thing has been quality, the build has been the most straight forward just follow the instructions and put this screw here that part there, it all fits and it all works, all the components, the accessories the fixtures and fittings just work as they should and again of the highest quality. Congratulations CARF.
Yesterday we went out and test flew, range check gear check, c of g was corrected in the work shop using the jig supplied. With the Jetcat 180rx running and fully tested to the black stuff, perfect in every way what a fantastic flying machine..
mark hinton.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
zeev barnes

Hi Mark
Can you post some pictures of your jet
Can you post some pictures how you check the CG with the jig
Best
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Mark H

The jig is supplied with the kit, it slips over the main spar and the front wing pin then slide wings on. There are a row of holes I used the middle hole at the top to lift model on a string through these holes , weight was added until the model hung level, this position gives a very neutral feel . Without pics I hope this explains all. Sorry I have no pictures.
REGARDS Mark
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Xantos

Hi Mark,
I got my Viper too in the scale met Orange and Black color scheme.
Overall impressionsI agree with you - this kit is just fantastic.
Only problem I found was with the color.
The color (Metallic Orange) on Inlets and ventral fins don't match with the fuse and wings.
There is a distinct shade variation,obviously the fuse and wings are painted in the mold and smaller components such as the inlets and ventral fins are painted seperately.
I looked at a friends viper(Green and White scheme) and there is no problem, its probably the metallic orange thats difficult to match .
So all those who might be considering the scale scheme beware if you are ordering a scheme with a metallic color , either accept a shade variation or be ready to respray.
OK I know CARF has a disclaimer in their manual stating no responsibility for color variations but I think it will definitely mar the overall look once the inlets are glued on and you have 2 distinct shades on the fuse.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Mark H

I dont think in the measure of things, that a slight colour shade will matter at 100 mph + no body will even see it, these are flying machines , if you want super scale i would buy a white one and fill seams ,A $1500 paint scheme, put on full gear doors scale undercarriage, you know! what i have found is pleasure in building this aircraft and not fighting with bad fitting parts . Oh yes i forgot to mention the air retracts are superb and no leaks and they work perfect. first day out three flights and the 180RX used 1/2 tank of fuel in 6 min flight. Just got to put light pilot in front seat now.
regards Mark
Old 10-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

The winglets for the Viper are now online. No warehouse stock other than the factory, so contact your rep.

Please refer to item#

150210- white
150211- black
150212- metallic blue

They will paint any custom scheme winglets in one solid colour. From memory these are designed to be glued to the wing.

Dw

Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
zeev barnes

Hi Dave
I cannot find it on CARF web site
Can you post the link
Best
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here you go
http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...chResults.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.