Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 DSMX any problems? Satellite distrubution.. >

DSMX any problems? Satellite distrubution..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DSMX any problems? Satellite distrubution..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: DSMX any problems? Satellite distrubution..

ORIGINAL: 2walla

Why anyone wouldn't want more antennas/receivers out there to hopefully get a good signal is a mystery..
Because its simply not necessary! Why would you want to HAVE to install more than one receiver if your don't need to? (I do like the word "hopefully" )

Also the ability to monitor system performance- holds, fades, etc is nice also..
Agreed, but experience has shown that this isn't really necessary either...

Bob
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tp777fo
I have made extensions for the remotes that are over the 3' normal ones with no problems.
That answers a question I've always had: is 36" the max allowable extension length for a remote rx? 36" can be limiting in a larger plane, especially if you want to put a remote in the vertical stab.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

OK... I wasn't going to... but I have to throw in my 2 cents.

There is nothing wrong with the JR/Spektrum stuff. I've been flying it since it came out with the original DX6. (the original stuff, not DSM2)

Some of their Receivers can run without a remote Rx. Others, need at least one remote Rx. The big receivers that can use multiple remote Rx units, only need one... and as above... you have to rebind if you change, add, or remove an Rx.

SNIP
Thats not true of the Power Safe recievers which as been accurately stated, are nothing but a power bus and need 3 remotes (you're welcome John ) connected.

R1222x, R922x, and R1222, R12110 are such examples.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks Andy. Just hit this thread again and Tony's information is a bit misleading. The big receivers need more than one. As Andy stated the Powersafe receivers need 3 remotes as a minimum. The 1221 from JR needs 2 as a minimum. All of the JR or Spektrum receivers include at least the minimum amount of remote receivers required. The 1222 includes four. I honestly cannot remember what the 922 includes.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 AM
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously, NO system is perfect.  The question I have is, since these remote receivers themselves are NOT about "brown outs",  isn't a "brown out" just a loss of power to the main RX?  This is strictly an issue of a direct relation with the battery and receiver.  Adding gazillions of additional remote receivers doesn't change one iota about voltage failure/irregularity does it? 

I also understand the desire to have as much safety involved in ones setup between rx and tx as possible.  It seems to me that spending that much money on a radio system, I sure as hell shouldn't have to worry about shoving 6 pounds of receiver equipment (exaggeration made to emphasize point, I know there's not 6 pounds of equipment) in my aircraft to hopefully assume it's set up right!

I use a good old DX7 DSMX and it works fine.  I also fly poverty glow fuel planes  (in comparison to all these high buck jets) and have no issues with my AR6200, 7000's.  I hope like hell I never have to fly a plane that I'm not 100% (there is NO greater percentage that that people so one can't be 110%) positive that the money I spent on radio equipment will operate to 100% perfection. 

The old adage of "bad news spreads faster than good news" and "all it takes is one apple to spoil the whole barrel" seems to dominate the alleged "radio / receiver" failure threads.  We only hear about the bad news of each manufacturer's failures.  That DOES help as long as we can factually state that the proven failure was mechanically due to the equipment.  Unless something falls off my plane during flight, I do a slow fly by and can see and issue, I have never bagged a crashed plane that distinctly reveals the cause of the crash. 

NASA,  I HAVE A SOLUTION........What all you high buck pilots need is a $75,000 Black Box for each of your (price of a good used car) airplanes that tells you why they crashed so you don't have to spend so much on this and that Radio systems!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Why anyone wouldn't want more antennas/receivers out there to hopefully get a good signal is a mystery..
Because its simply not necessary! Why would you want to HAVE to install more than one receiver if your don't need to? (I do like the word ''hopefully'' )

Also the ability to monitor system performance- holds, fades, etc is nice also..
Agreed, but experience has shown that this isn't really necessary either...

Bob
2 or more receivers aren't necessary but, they ARE safer.

JR/Spektrum, Weatronic, and even Futaba guys that want the ultimate in safety run 2 receivers (it just costs them twice as much ).

Mike
Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 AM

If your receiver fails, you are going down... regardless of how many remote antennas you may have.

"it just costs them twice as much" maybe, in some cases, but they are real receivers.

Doug.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: DougV

If your receiver fails, you are going down... regardless of how many remote antennas you may have.

''it just costs them twice as much'' maybe, in some cases, but they are real receivers.

Doug.
They are receivers Doug, not just simply remote antenna. Infact the new powerbox units allow you to just plug in JR/ spektrum remotes without using the base receiver at all.

Mike
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Thanks Andy. Just hit this thread again and Tony's information is a bit misleading. The big receivers need more than one. As Andy stated the Powersafe receivers need 3 remotes as a minimum. The 1221 from JR needs 2 as a minimum. All of the JR or Spektrum receivers include at least the minimum amount of remote receivers required. The 1222 includes four. I honestly cannot remember what the 922 includes.

Sorry... you are right. I just checked the "Power Safe" Rx book. You need 2 remote Rx units to run it. (But you don't need all 4, and I fixed my original post)

Personally... for the $35... I put the extra Rx units in. (when needed) So, if I have an RX that can use 3 remote Rx units... I plug in 3 units.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I have seen futaba FASST systems go into failsafe If it does where do you start?? I think they don't want to make a monitoring device to show what their receiver is seeing because it may be something you may not want to know Kinda like wanting to know what that tasty meat is at your favorite chinese restaurant..

At the end of the day all of the systems work.. If you do a good install and feed them adequate power all will work ok.. If you have broadband 2.4 interference all will make a smoking hole of your airplane.. No system is immune to interference.. pay your money, take your chances and belittle those that have differing opinions.. Thats what modeling is all about.. giving your fellow modelers grief for their choices in equipment....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM

I have used 2.4 9x and recently 12x DSMX. No problem to date. I have seen several experiencing problems and concluded to be pilot error i.e lack of preperation especially power on seqeunce.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

''it just costs them twice as much'' maybe, in some cases, but they are real receivers.

Doug.
They are receivers Doug, not just simply remote antenna. Infact the new powerbox units allow you to just plug in JR/ spektrum remotes without using the base receiver at all.

Mike

Incorrect info.

The new PowerBox Royale you're referring to has a Spek RX built in. The twinkley miniature plug-ins you call RXs are not that at all.... they ARE simply remote antennas..... We Futaba types call them extra 'features' Band-Aids

... just sayin'.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM

The following is  Incorrect Info.

" The twinkley miniature plug-ins you call RXs are not that at all.... they ARE simply remote antennas...."

The Jr & Spektrum remote receivers are infact complete receivers with a data link back to the main unit.  Some electronic homebrewers are using them as the only receiver in custom systems.  
  John
  Scottsdale, Az.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Incorrect info.

The new PowerBox Royale you're referring to has a Spek RX built in. The twinkley miniature plug-ins you call RXs are not that at all.... they ARE simply remote antennas

... just sayin'.

Ummm.... No.

They're receivers.

....just sayin'.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 AM

Just my 2 cents worth..

I fly Futaba, Spektrum and JR with thousands of flights with each brand and Zero issues ever.

i have the JR 11X and matched with a Spektrum AR8000 receiver and one satellite it gives me better range than any other radio..

Here is a vid..

i don't have a problem with the satellites.. they definately work as advertised.. I tested all mine before use and even with all antennas on the main RX sheilded and only 1 satelite antenna visiible the connection is solid and reliable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gl6e25m9WU[/youtube]
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 AM

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Doug.

Mike

Incorrect info.

The new PowerBox Royale you're referring to has a Spek RX built in. The twinkley miniature plug-ins you call RXs are not that at all.... they ARE simply remote antennas..... We Futaba types call them extra 'features' Band-Aids

... just sayin'.
Incorrect info.

The Powerbox system i'm referring to is the new Cockpit SRS and you can plug JR/ spektrum remotes, 2x Futaba receivers or several other brand receivers into it. There are no receivers built into this Powerbox.

Unfortunately, many "Futaba types" are misinformed about the value of the remote receiver feature.

Just sayin'....

Mike
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

I've been researching this issue for two years and I have both an 11X and a 12Z. What strikes me most is the near IRRELEVANCE of one person's own experience. Statistically it is meaningless. Yet, people trot their own flawless track record with one system or another as conclusive proof to themselves that their choice is the correct one. Worse, others point to one or two public incidents as proof of an entire thesis.

Add to this the brand biases and innate "confirmation bias" that all humans exhibit (eg we like conclusions that agree with ours and dislike those that don't) and you have a recipe for misinformation and conspiracy theories.

I propose an incident website that allows individuals to report incidents with various facts. Then, we can take sample sizes of 1-2 hundred and really determine what is going on.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

As I thought about this further, it might be even better if the site tracked both uneventful and eventful flights so the true scope of any issue could be quantified. That would require a mobile logging application to which pilots would submit all flights. Could be done but would require lots of voluntary cooperation.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
My Feedback: (24)

I'll be installing a Cockpit SRS in my test bed Boomer XL as soon as it arrives. Very capable unit. Your choice.....connect S-bus input from 2 FUT 6014 HS or 4 S-bus JR DSM/X Remote/Satellite/Hanging Out in the Back Forty or whatever you want to call them and you are ready to go....actually once you are fired up with 4 JR, you can run with only 1 remote......

Unit has 2 high power batt inputs, fail safe switching, filtering, and ability to record fades, frame losses, and holds and nice clean S-bus, 3-wire inputs.....In about 10 minutes, I will be able to switch between my 12X and 12 FGA to show the JR vs FUT wonks that either allows a safe sortie....been doing it for 11 years in jets and have not lost a jet or helicopter to radio failure with either JR or FUT......

Weatronics is the gold standard for the developers and tinkerers, but carrying a laptop around is a pita IMO......way too much data input for my near 70 y/o brain..... Sort of like rather than just hitting the icon for RCU, some guys have to know the code that generates the icon.......
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

As I thought about this further, it might be even better if the site tracked both uneventful and eventful flights so the true scope of any issue could be quantified. That would require a mobile logging application to which pilots would submit all flights. Could be done but would require lots of voluntary cooperation.

Interesting idea, but in order for it to work effectively, you'll need the system to automatically update the site; otherwise, your sample size will only include people who remembered to do the update.

BTW - How did the Ultra Flash flight go?

Pete, as others have mentioned, brown-outs have nothing to do with the satellite receivers and everything to do with a power issue. I personally don't mind the satellite receivers. The main benefit that Spektrum brings to me is the ability to see data around reception. If Futaba offered this I might consider switching back as I miss my "old" 14MZ.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

I've been researching this issue for two years and I have both an 11X and a 12Z. What strikes me most is the near IRRELEVANCE of one person's own experience. Statistically it is meaningless. Yet, people trot their own flawless track record with one system or another as conclusive proof to themselves that their choice is the correct one. Worse, others point to one or two public incidents as proof of an entire thesis.

Add to this the brand biases and innate ''confirmation bias'' that all humans exhibit (eg we like conclusions that agree with ours and dislike those that don't) and you have a recipe for misinformation and conspiracy theories.

I propose an incident website that allows individuals to report incidents with various facts. Then, we can take sample sizes of 1-2 hundred and really determine what is going on.

GREAT post.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (55)

Dang, Shaun...now I'm agreeing with you! What the heck is going on here?!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger
.....connect S-bus input from 2 FUT 6014 HS or....
If you are going with SBUS why not save some money and use [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARPB&P=7]R6203SB[/link]!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 AM

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Dang, Shaun...now I'm agreeing with you! What the heck is going on here?!

I know, huh?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Hey guys, Tony aka Dr. Honda pointed out the 1222 instructions state it needs 2 remotes to function. We have alwasy been told 3 were a minimum. After discussing with multiple people in the office and trying ever combination known we have confirmed that 3 remotes are a minimum for it to work.

A huge thanks to Tony for reading the instructions and helping me out here. We are having them adjusted at JR and will get them fixed.

Thank again Tony!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.