Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM
jack744
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

+3
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Hey Gary,

Am I seeing right in that pic, all four of your receiver antennas mounted parallel and in the same plane?

This is about the worst arrangement for signal path diversity. I would strongly recommend you move at least one from each Rx to lie at right angles to the others.

Malcolm
Looks like he has 90degree diversity on both pairs of aerials (only the exposed part needs to be at 90deg) but both are in same planes so still not great at all! As lovely as the install is, it's not working properly. Luckily it's a 5min fix and the RXs can stay where they are.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

ORIGINAL: Rush!

I definitely need flight conditions... Cruise, takeoff and landing modes and individual trims are important...

Than get a used 12z it will be the best investment you can have for what you are looking for.

Other choice is to get an 18mz

Don't get the 14sg or 14mz

thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Does anyone know if the first generation FASST radios can be upgraded to use the latest transmission protocol, perhaps a different plug in module?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Not that I have heard, but I guess anything is possible.

I looked at an 18MZ, but the opportunity cost is very high. I keep thinking of all the other things I could get with $3K (at least with today's dollars) and I have a hard time getting worked up over it. Also, the distance between the sticks and the bottom of the tranmitter (that rests on my gut) seems a little off, and not comfortable. Maybe eating less (as I would have $3K less food money) might help offset this issue.

For telemetry, I am anxious to hear how that Robbe box works out. I could convince myself that is a better use case anyway (all Futaba RX/telemetry in the plane, a separate handheld telemetry receiver on the ground). Having all of the telemetry displayed on your TX is not a design "win" in my book. Vibration feedback, maybe.

Plus with the 12z you can still use the MPDX-1 and get 26 channels.

Bottom line, Robbe box seems a no brainer even if I end up with an 18MZ in the future.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: DougV

No Conditions on airplane mode ''YET'' but you can do 95% of that with Rates.
Doug.
You don't use Flight Conditions do you? One of the big benifits, besides being able to change the entire model config. at the flip of a switch, is to be able to trim independantly for each flight mode. You can't possibly accomplish that using ''rates'' only.

As I said, 14SG is a very nice radio, just be aware that you can't do flight conditons with it.

Mike

As a work around you can use a sailplane setup and then you will have conditions.
I wish Futaba would include it in the 14SG as this radio would fit the bill for about 95% of the fliers out there looking for a high end system
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
stevekott

ORIGINAL: haisanjafri

Hey Gary,
I am using the same two r7008sb receivers with pb competition in my 1.9m futura. When the telemetry is set to ON frame losses reaches 1, 000 but when the telemetry is set to OFF frame losses comes back to 20 or 25. Is it normal? I am using receiver #1 in Mode B and receiver # 2 in Mode D.
Am I missing something? How do you measure frame losses on the R7008SB? I have a little Spektrum data logger thingy that I used on their radios but I've never seen anything like that on the FASSTest.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is being detected and displayed on the PowerBox unit he may be using.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
stevekott

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Does anyone know if the first generation FASST radios can be upgraded to use the latest transmission protocol, perhaps a different plug in module?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Not that I have heard, but I guess anything is possible.

I looked at an 18MZ, but the opportunity cost is very high. I keep thinking of all the other things I could get with $3K (at least with today's dollars) and I have a hard time getting worked up over it. Also, the distance between the sticks and the bottom of the tranmitter (that rests on my gut) seems a little off, and not comfortable. Maybe eating less (as I would have $3K less food money) might help offset this issue.

For telemetry, I am anxious to hear how that Robbe box works out. I could convince myself that is a better use case anyway (all Futaba RX/telemetry in the plane, a separate handheld telemetry receiver on the ground). Having all of the telemetry displayed on your TX is not a design "win" in my book. Vibration feedback, maybe.

Plus with the 12z you can still use the MPDX-1 and get 26 channels.

Bottom line, Robbe box seems a no brainer even if I end up with an 18MZ in the future.
Just my 2 cents Matt, If you like the dependability of the Futaba protocol and your current tx is working for you the Robbe box is a pretty nice option, In fact you are the one that told me about it. I could see it easily dropping into your shirt pocket with an earpiece or held by a spotter and it will vibrate or chirp for whichever alarms you would like. It has an additional option of "alert time" where it will alarm as set and then silence so as not to distract you after you know you have a problem. Not to mention the $3000.

Steve

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
stevekott

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

It is being detected and displayed on the PowerBox unit he may be using.
Ah Ha thanks. I'm guessing it picks it up off the S.Bus I'll have to look into that.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
DiscoWings

The robbe box appears to only work with SBUS servos, this can be a problem, based on this I think the only viable option is the powerbox SRS if you aren't usin sbus servos.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
stevekott

The little Robbe box I was referring to is the Telemetry box. It monitors the telemetry output from the FASSTest Rx's.
It can be used as a stand-alone or in conjunction with the 18mz. It doesn't matter which servos.

www.robbe.de/telemetry-box-2-4-ghz-fasstestr.html
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM
mr_matt

And I did not first spot that Robbe box first, someone else did.

But unless I am missing something, this Robbe telemetry box will let someone control a model with a non FAASTest TX (like a 12Z) and still get Futaba telemetry on the handheld, even a smartphone.

Does anyone know which Futaba RXs that support this mode?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

The robbe box appears to only work with SBUS servos, this can be a problem, based on this I think the only viable option is the powerbox SRS if you aren't usin sbus servos.

Not true, Robbe has adapters available which allows the use of non-sBus servo's. Currently I am embarking on a SM F-86 install using the Robbe unit and not a single sBus servo. My reasons for doing this is purely based on my stock of non-sBus servo's and the fact that I would like to use what I have.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM
stevekott

And I did not first spot that Robbe box first, someone else did.

But unless I am missing something, this Robbe telemetry box will let someone control a model with a non FAASTest TX (like a 12Z) and still get Futaba telemetry on the handheld, even a smartphone.

I know the R7008SB works. I think its any of the receivers with the FASSTest mode (the "est" suffix).

Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM
DougV

Futaba R7008SB, R7003SB and if using a FASST only radio then you need to use R6308SBT.

Doug.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i still fly with my old single channel citizeship radio and have a good time and my old deltron radio
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
mr_matt

Hi Steve,

I THINK that RX only works with a FAASTest transmitter.

I am waiting for you to prove out that Robbe!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
stevekott

Roger that, I think you are right. If you want to use the Robbe Telemetry Box without the 18mz per Doug above you need to use theR6308SBT. The literature states that receiver works with FASST systems. That box does work in parallell with the 18mz and shows the same data with nice alarm flexibility.

Here's an item of interest I bought from Dirk Bubley in Germany, i think it was 80 Euros.

http://www.cb-elektronics.de/HSS330%...d%20Sensor.htm

It's a pitot type airspeed indicator that works with the Futaba S.Bus telemetry. I've installed it in my Eurosport. I can flick a switch and it will call out my airspeed on final. I'm still testing it, It spoofs an RPM sensor and you calibrate it using the gear ratio on the rx/telemetry screen.

Steve
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just thought it would be nice if Futaba brought out a new module for the 12FG and 14MZ so they can use FASSTest can't be beyond them, just seems they are abandoning those that have FASST.

Mike
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
kimba

Hi all
As explained in a previous post I have been using the Futaba 18 MZ for the past 9 months and also the Robbe PSS Battery backer with twin receivers the primary Reciever is pluged in to the PSS2018 to enable the eight Chanel's with PWM servos ( non sbus servos ) you the plug a PWM Adapter into the PSS2018 for the rest of the non sbus servos which will give you 16 Chanel's +2 for your non sbus servos
If using telemetry with 2 receivers the 1st Reciever has to be bound as the primary Reciever and the second then bind the second one as the secondary. The telemetry has to be pluged in to the Primary Reciever only I am using the Futaba Multi Sensor which provides Gps,speed, altitude, and vario. $134.00 US The PWM adapter is $61.00 ther is also a display modual which is apprx $104.00
I fly jets and have various power boxes in them and my large comp ARF Yac and Powerbox Royals in some of the jets now that I have used the Robbe Power box I will not go back to the others it is fantastic and not only for Futaba it will also operate with JR with 4
satanist receivers so you have the best of both worlds if you want to change systems
The Manual can be downloaded in English on the Robbe site ( if having trouble pm me ) The othe thing is you can Reciever all you telemetry in a nice female voice you do not have to look at the screen sorry fly making this so long but the best thing is to download the manual and go through it and not make wrong statements for others to follow.
If you guys in the states want this equipment it is all available here in Austrailia at good prices Pm me if you want the web sites.

Cheers Bronte
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: kimba

it is fantastic and not only for Futaba it will also operate with JR with 4
satanist receivers

Cheers Bronte
Well now there's proof, JR is the "Dark Side".

Marty
Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Not true, Robbe has adapters available which allows the use of non-sBus servo's. Currently I am embarking on a SM F-86 install using the Robbe unit and not a single sBus servo. My reasons for doing this is purely based on my stock of non-sBus servo's and the fact that I would like to use what I have.

Cheers,

Jan
that effectively makes it useless, if you have to by a robbe powerbox (which is considered an adapter in its own right) then purcahse another adapter, your defeating the purpose. Robbe is really only effective if you have S-bus servos, and even then its questionable on how many amps each of the busses can supply.

A power expander that also acts like a large decoder would be the ticket, Smart fly is working on which will have 2-3 out puts / channel for a total of 42 outputs and has a sbus decoder built in.[8D]
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
DiscoWings

I just thought it would be nice if Futaba brought out a new module for the 12FG and 14MZ so they can use FASSTest can't be beyond them, just seems they are abandoning those that have FASST.

Mike

how could they make you buy new radios if they did that?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Rush!

LOL,....

ORIGINAL: afterburner

ORIGINAL: kimba

it is fantastic and not only for Futaba it will also operate with JR with 4
satanist receivers

Cheers Bronte
Well now there's proof, JR is the "Dark Side".

Marty
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Rush!

+1...

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.