Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

first jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

first jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
paulsreef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first jet

What would be a better first jet, the Comp-Arf Flash or the Boomerang Elan?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:08 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: first jet

The Flash , though easy to fly, is after all a high performance, highly aerobatic precise flying jet ... The Ultra Flash is my favorite flying sport jet from all the planes i have flown over the years ... with that said, the Elan definately makes a lot better of a first jet ... it will go easy on you, yet still leave room to open up on the power/speed and do some fun turn and burn jet flying aerobatics ... Id suggest to look up as many videos you can of both planes on YouTube (there are a lot ) .. look for how they take off, and land .... ( especially how they land ) .. also, consider a Composite BobCat .. It falls somewhere in between the two jets you have on your list

~V~
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boomer has better turbine access, lands slower and can be flown around slowly. The Flash is closer to a typical fast scale jet but still easy to fly.

I had a boomer as my first jet and despite being a high airtime pilot used to flying fast models was glad I did. It was easy to sell on although there were times I wished I had hung on to it as it was fun and relaxing to fly.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:31 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with 'V'......... with that said, go for the Boomer for the first. very forgiving and a dream to fly. then purchase the Flash. Both are great jets. I fly a few different jets and the Boomer XL I fly is very relaxing and comfortable on the sticks. as where the flash will need alot more concetration on the sticks for a newbee.

Mark
Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM
agent adds

Avonds F15!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM
paulsreef

ORIGINAL: trioval00

I agree with 'V'......... with that said, go for the Boomer for the first. very forgiving and a dream to fly. then purchase the Flash. Both are great jets. I fly a few different jets and the Boomer XL I fly is very relaxing and comfortable on the sticks. as where the flash will need alot more concetration on the sticks for a newbee.

Mark
I mentioned the Elan, but now I'm leaning towards the XL and the Sprint looks like a great deal at $899.,.....decisions, decisions.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM
RacerPaul15
My Feedback: (40)

Can anyone provide links or info on the Boomer?? Setting a goal for a Turbine in 2012.

Regards
Paul

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RacerPaul15

Can anyone provide links or info on the Boomer?? Setting a goal for a Turbine in 2012.

Regards
Paul

http://www.boomerangjets.com/us/home.htm
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, I have hundreds of flights on the Boomer XL and it is a great flyer, the envelope of the Boomer is huge. Depending on the size of the turbine you will purchase, the boomer XL will land very slow or rip through the sky at full power. and the same goes for the other boomers too.

Boomerang Jets USA is great to deal with, Patricia runs it for her brother and she is located in Texas, but is out of town or out actually out of country till next week. give her a call and she will answer any question you might have.

Mark
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM
paulflys4fun

Hi, i agree that the Flash is by far the best model mentioned, flys like a dream. The boomerangs are the best range of jets out there for cost and fun. The bigger the boomer the better they fly. All that said when i go out to my grass strip for a fun day hammering my jet to an inch of its life there is only ever one jet for me, my trusty Intro and p70. So if it ever bit the dust a sprint with a vt80 would be my pick.

Get a Sprint and have fun, whatever the flying site and weather.

Paul
Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
RacerPaul15
My Feedback: (40)

Thanks for the replies fellas!!

Paul
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Jet flying has a steep learning curve, and you have lots to learn. I have both the Élan and the Flash and they are both very good flying jets but very different. Make no mistake, you ARE going to be hard on your first jet, that's just the way it is. As the Élan is less complicated with its straight out the back, no tail pipe design, it's easily repaired wood wing panels and spacious cabin area for easy installs, I think the Élan is the clear choice. She will land at a crawl, get up and move out, and do everything in between. And it's just a fun jet to fly.

The flash is the definition of sport jet. It too will land at a crawl once you have it set up right, and flat out haul the mail. I tell people it's like flying a pattern ship on steroids! The down side of the flash is it can bite you if you don't have your ducks in a row, and it's "closed" turbine install could be trouble for a beginner. If you have a buddy that can hand hold you while you get up to speed on her then depending on your skill level, the flash is a good choice, but it is not going to be as easy as the Élan.

I have hundreds of flights on both, so I am coming from experience.

This s the word of Dave.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's another way you could look at it:

Buy a Boomer Elan and a 120 class engine. The Elan flies great on this engine and I have seen several guys have lots of sucess with this combo. With the 120 size engine it will also get moving pretty good.

When you are ready to move up - keep the Elan and the 120 turbine and purchase an Ultra Flash. Put the 120 in the UF and go have some fun. Keep the Elan around as you will find eventually you will want to have it as a go-to plane.

Both are great airplanes and will serve you well.

PaulD