Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Merlin 35?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Merlin 35?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merlin 35?

I have a 90mm T-45 and am considering putting a P-20 in it but have heard that there may be a Merlin 35 that will have more thrust and better suited to the 90mm size jet. Does anyone have any updated information on it and anticipated date of realease?

Thanks.

Hal
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Merlin 35?

I've seen the Merlin in person at Jetpower and it looks nice. Then the starter was missing, the thrust needed to go up more and the internals were from stainless steel for heavy duty testing. The steel parts made it feel heavy, but I was told production engine would be alot lighter. Only thing you could tell is that it is P-20 size. If it puts out the 7.7lb that they are aiming for and the weight drops to 13oz like the P-20 it will be a nice engine, but personally I would not buy an engine before they been proven to work well.

Not really on topic, but you could still choose the 30% lighter Kolibri that put's out 6lb of thrust, mount it at the back of the plane shaving another 5oz of the total as you need no thrust tube. Gas start calls for a smaller battery pack and if installed with care you will ofcause get a lighter setup. 1lb might not sound much but with this small planes it's like 15% lighter

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kolibri's are super turbines, the issue I seem to read over and over is the backup and service, there have been a few threads where 'no response' to emails and calls have resulted in frustration and disappointment.

In this game service is very important and key to success.

I would like to hear if this has now been improved at Kolibri Turbines?

marcs
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: marc s

Kolibri's are super turbines, the issue I seem to read over and over is the backup and service, there have been a few threads where 'no response' to emails and calls have resulted in frustration and disappointment.

In this game service is very important and key to success.

I would like to hear if this has now been improved at Kolibri Turbines?

marcs
It's much better now days compared to two years ago, but I only got Lambert turbines so I can not compare with other brands. For the Nordic region the dealer is great so no problem what so ever for the end users. 19 or 20 engines sold over here since april 2011 when I got my T25 and no problems I'm aware of.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

The Merlin 35 is a development of the Sprite engine which I have seen fly many times. It puts out a lot of thrust, Considerably more than the P20

Deno
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Colin Gontier

The Merlin 35 is going to be a great new turbine but it's release is not "close" as yet. It is now full auto start and is being subjected to rigorous bench testing and tweaks being made accordingly. It has also been on a bit of a diet and been made lighter. The next step will be flight testing after which we will be advised of a release date.

I for one am really looking forward to this one. Although I love the P20, and I have had numerous airframes with my P20's they all feel just a little bit too small and the novelty wears off after a while. Small turbine powered jets are fun to have but I personally would prefer just a little bit bigger small jet [8D]
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Colin

I agree with what you have said above, the 90mm EDF jets that are available for are just a bit marginal for the P20 on a rough grass field, could do with a bit more thrust, look forward to the Sprite/Merlin hybreed.

Mike
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 AM
mick15

Habu 32 with the Sprite 32.

m

http://youtu.be/_oeiK5FX5ks
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I was in contact with Jet Munt a couple months ago about the M-35. I was told it would be available early summer this year. Right now, they needed to finish the starter pod, and the thrust was down at 30~32n. So... they needed to massage it a little to get it up to 35n.

I feel exactly the same way... the P-20 is a very cool engine... but it's a little on the small side for the 90mm jets. it's better suited to a 70mm jet. Besides... who wants an 8Lb jet with only 5Lbs of thrust??? (lol)

I'm personally using an wren 44 in a 90mm T-45. It's WAY more engine than I need, but it's overall weight isn't any higher than an proper 90mm system with a 6s 5000mah LiPo.