Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

YA Skyhawk and Wren 44 Gold Perfect together

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

YA Skyhawk and Wren 44 Gold Perfect together

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YA Skyhawk and Wren 44 Gold Perfect together

ORIGINAL: Vettster

$500 bucks?? Must have been a bunch of EDF'ers thinking they could play with the big boys for the same price..lol

Im not in hurry for one.. Winter will soon be here

That's what I was thinking too.

I Picked up a boat project for the fam... and I was going to sell my 44 to fund the rebuild. Plus... it was sitting on the shelf for over a year. So I posted it. But, after getting the low offers, and selling a few other things... I decided to finish my T-45 project.

At this point... I'm glad I kept it... but I am shocked that it didn't sell. (FYI, it was posted for $1500 with new bearings, and a wren pipe. AND, it only had 2 hrs on the fuel pump, and temp prob)

ORIGINAL: Mark 5

Tony if your T-45 is only 8 LBS ,it will be a rocket with the Wren 44.

I'm hopping to have it done tomorrow. So... I'll get a weight on it. I'm thinking about turning down the thrust a little. I don't need +1:1 on a little jet. (lol) I think Ron told me that 175K rpm would be 7#.

I guess I took it a little off subject. Sorry. I'll shut-up now.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

WIsh I had seen that ad!!

If you decide to sell it again give me a jingle. Good luck with your T45.

Mark, I may have overlooked it previously but how much fuel are you carrying and what kind of flight time?

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: Vettster

$500 bucks?? Must have been a bunch of EDF'ers thinking they could play with the big boys for the same price..lol

Im not in hurry for one.. Winter will soon be here

That's what I was thinking too.

I Picked up a boat project for the fam... and I was going to sell my 44 to fund the rebuild. Plus... it was sitting on the shelf for over a year. So I posted it. But, after getting the low offers, and selling a few other things... I decided to finish my T-45 project.

At this point... I'm glad I kept it... but I am shocked that it didn't sell. (FYI, it was posted for $1500 with new bearings, and a wren pipe. AND, it only had 2 hrs on the fuel pump, and temp prob)

Tony if your T-45 is only 8 LBS ,it will be a rocket with the Wren 44.

I'm hopping to have it done tomorrow. So... I'll get a weight on it. I'm thinking about turning down the thrust a little. I don't need +1:1 on a little jet. (lol) I think Ron told me that 175K rpm would be 7#.

I guess I took it a little off subject. Sorry. I'll shut-up now.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Mark 5

Yeahbaby, I have a total of 36 ounces, two 10 oz up front and two 8 oz in the back. I get 5 min and after landing i have a little more than 8 oz of fuel left. Mark.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 AM
yeahbaby

Awesome!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Gordon W

Gordon, my Wren 44 gold is about 3/4 of an inch from the pipe. Tony if your T-45 is only 8 LBS ,it will be a rocket with the Wren 44.
Thanks Mark. I'll give my unknown make pipe a try at that distance.

Cheers

Gordon
Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Mark 5

Hi Gordon, please let me know how much thrust you are getting out of your Wren 44 gold with and without the tailpipe. Mark
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
DAVID WILDE

Hi Marc,
Thought you might like to see my video of my simliar sized A4 with wren 44 GOLD an excellent combination weighs 12 1/2 lbs has 2 dubro 24 0z tanks and flys for 8 minutes with 2 minutes reserve of fuel.
The video is from an event i ran i my local club 2 weeks ago .

Dave wilde Colchester a1 models

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWvh...2&feature=plcp
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good flying and Kudo's to your camera man. Kept it right in frame. Hard to find one that can. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
yeahbaby

Fantastic video and flight!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

The real deal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmq3...e_gdata_player

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good video Douglas, nice A-4
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Mark 5

Dave, That was some good flying.Thank you for sharing. Were you full throttle for most of the flight? Mark
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 AM
DAVID WILDE

Hi Mark.
Most of my flying is done at half throttle as you said with yours.The verticals and fast low runs are at full throttle. The plane is about 5 years old and was the review model from RCJI MAG and has had about 150 flights now and is the perfect small plane as it fits in my ford mondeo estate in one piece.
As you can see from the video it flies from our grass field albeit the field is a little bumpy and really slows down for landing especially with the delta wing shape and large flaps. A very under estimated plane i think can't understand why there are not more about.
The videoing was done by a local chap Peter Coxon who spends his whole life looking through a camera lense so you know when he is videoing you have to put a show on for him and he does all of the editing himself.
If yougo to Utube and type in TBOBBORAP1'SCHANNEL you can see all of his videos from different events he has attended including the 2012 BRITISH NATIONALS . STILL WAITING ON YOUR VIDEO ?

Dave Wilde Colchestera1models

Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Mark, David,
Thanks for posting your info on the 44 Gold powering an A-4 Skyhawk, looks like a great combination. I purchased a 44 Gold K last month and am currently flying it in a Boomerang Nano (built for local grass field operations). At 13 lbs all-up-weight, it flies almost as well as with the FTE T-500, but withoutthe T-500 starting issues.
I'm seeking a scale jet for this engine and have an oldBVM(now JHH) NIB that I bought from Charlie Chamberssome years ago.You may recall theglow DF A-4 that I flew for many years, firstin theBlueAngels scheme, then in an Agressor/Adversary scheme (similar toyours) after the "TOPGUN" movie was released.This will be amajor winter building effort! Keep in touch on how your A-4 flies to provide further inspiration on this project.
To Mark, we missed you at Capitol Jets VIII and the Maine Jet Rally this season, but hope to see you more next year.

Art ARRO
Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Art. On a note. When you traded your T-500 out for the 44 Gold, did you see much AUW Diff or fuel consumption?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Art ARRO

Hooker 53 and All,
On the turbine swap of my Nano, I achieved a pound and a half ( 24 oz) weight reduction going from the T-500 to a Wren 44 Gold K. The 44turbine weighs much less than the T-500, plus the ancilliaries are both smaller and lighter. I also expected to see a CG shift but the Nano balanced the same, with either turbine. The 44 is also very miserly on fuel usage and I upped my timer to 7 minutes from 6 minutes and still land with about a half tankful-with the standard 50 oz Dubro tank specifiedfor the Nano. I believe I can stretch a 10 minute flight from 50 oz, but will work my way up to this figure. I'm not a thrust jockey and generally fly at 3/4 throttle except for climbout and vertical maneuvers. Trust this answers your questions.

Art ARRO
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Mark 5

Hi Art, good to hear from you, hope all is well. I bought this Skyhawk after watching you fly yours. I was impressed with the way it flew, the very short take off roll and how very slow it landed, all of this with only a Turbax and a .45 motor. I have to say it flies better with the Wren 44 Gold. If you can get your A-4 lighter than mine ( which i know you can ) it will be an impressive flyer. Mark
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Mark 5

Got 4 flights in today! The Wren 44 gold comes to life when going vertical and it uses less than 30oz of kero per flight. I am having a tough time slowing down for landing. This could be the result of being nose heavey. I had my first flame out(trim set to low) and was surprised how far the Skyhawk glides. Much further than all of the othe jets that I flew.( Skymaster F-16 , Yellow Aircraft F-16, JHH Kfir, Yellow Aircraft F-4). Art, I hope we can fly our Skyhawks together soon!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Art ARRO

Mark,
Congrats on the 4 flights including the dead stick landing. I'd say you were very lucky with the dead stick unless the glide was a straight-in approach. These Scooters don't like to be steeply banked especially in the glide. I'd verify the CG to the plans and the value that Shaun provided in an earlier post. My glow DF version carried a 16 oz fuel load between the inlets so it was slightly nose heavy for takeoff and just right for landing with the fuelconsumed. No flaps were installed but I plan to include them in the turbine model.
My build will be a winter project and I look forward to flying with yours nextseason.The versionwill be the A-4L, with the avionics hump, and a civilian color scheme- I alreadyhave the documentation from my former employer.
'gards,
Art
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM
L Turner
My Feedback: (3)

Gents,

I have a (spare) Gold '44 and an older (DF version) A4 to convert for the '44. What retract units, struts, wheel & brake combinations are you guys using? I think you have pursuaded me it is time to get this project going.

L. Turner
GJC Sabre,
Wren '54 T-2 Buckeye
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Art ARRO

L. Turner,
Which version of the glo DF A-4 do you have and plan to convert to turbine power ? There are several, including a Byron, BVM(now JHH) and Yellow AC. Also, the Yellow had both a scale and a sport wing along with some improvements to the ducting along the way.
My A-4was the original BVM, purchased in 1979, maidened in 1980 and flown for over 20 years at various jet and scale events in the US and Canada. I lost it at a Scale Masters Qualifier in N. England due to a high speed stall and snap. Originally fitted with a K&B7.5 DF and later upgraded to the Fan Jett 50 engine. The retracts were B&D pneumatic which I struggled with continual leaks.Radio startedwith Kraft-7C and later changed to a JR PCM-10 with a mix of JR andKraft servos.
The Wren 44 Gold version will utilize Spring Air retracts and BVM wheels/brakes. The main struts are rather short and 3/16 wire should suffice. The nose strut is longer and I may have something custom made or adapt an existing strut with a wheel yoke. Mine will begin life as a BVM/JHH semi-kit and is planned to be a major winter building project. It may qualify as a Fun Scale entry if ever flown in scale competition, but will be primarily flown in various jet events here in the northeast.
Let us know your plans to keep the project moving forward.

Art ARRO
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Mark 5

Hi L.Turner, I used Spring Air retracts, BVM wheels and brakes with wire struts on the mains. If I had to do it again I would use the Spring Air 701 or try to fit the Spring Air Falcon 120 retracte, struts and brakes which are strong, light, and inexpensive $450. I would also recommend building the A-4 with flaps. Mark.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Mark 5

Shaun, you probeally have more experience flying the skyhawk (turbine powered) than anyone. How does it fly with a large turbine like a P-70? Is it difficult to slow down without flaps? Although I dont have many flight on the Skyhswk, I must say it is very easy to fly and looks great in the air. I dont know why we dont see more of them (turbine powered). They are inexpensive, easy to transport, uncomplicated and a joy to fly. Mark
Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

This little wren is a cool engine.

I've maidened the T-45... and it's a fun little jet. It weighs just under 9lbs wet. I have the wren turned down to 185k rpms (8lbs thrust) and it jumps off the ground in about 80'... and flies great at half throttle. AND... since I'm off the power most of the flight... we flew for 6 min, and I still had a 1/4 tank left on landing.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Mark 5

Tony, congratulations on your maiden. You are right, the Wren 44 Gold is a great little turbine, I just wish that I could squeeze a little more power out of it for taking off of my grass field (thick sod). Do you have any video? Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.