Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TurboProp Reliability

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TurboProp Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboProp Reliability

Guys,

For those running the latest Jetcat turboprops, how is reliability nowadays?

Despite the superb reliability of their regular turbines, I've witnessed these units failing far too often. I gambled on one and had it last 4 flights before it needed to go back. That was about 3 years ago.

I'm hoping that they've improved these alongside the regular turbines?

I can handle the hassle of sending it back for fixing etc, just not too keen on the (seemingly increased) risk of losing a model if it packs up in the wrong place.

Any input from anyone? Oh, and rather than start a brand war. I am only interested in using the JetCat unit thanks

Cheers,
Mark
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: TurboProp Reliability

Marc,

I currently have a V2 SPT5-H in a heli with over 8 hours running time.
It runs between 145000 and 16500 most of the time and no issues with gearbox or anything.

It was updated last year to have one of the output drive wheel replaced as the original was within a problem number of being to thin and failing.

Other than that - a great engine.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
schroedm

Thanks Modtron, encouraging to hear.

Also be interested to hear from those with experience in a conventional aircraft setups.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Mark

All the Mk3 units are working 100%. It took a few years, but yes they are there now..
Colin has been flying a Tuc for over a year without an issue and I have other guys seeing the same reliability.

Dave
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I agree with Dave, MK3 units seem to be the most reliable unit on the market at this time.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM
schroedm

Hmmmm, thanks guys.........(goes off to rattle piggy bank)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Mark,

New to the turbo prop thing as I only have 6 flights with mine, but the Mk3 is running like a Swiss clock. I also own a Spt5h since 2009 with absolutely no issues. Neither have had a flame out as yet.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Mark,

I made the 60th flight this afternoon with my Jetcat SPT5-V3. It has performed flawlessly (besides the time I ran it out of gas, but I suppose that was my fault...LOL) and I could not be happier with it. Perfect starts, tons of power (way more that the previous TP I had been flying in my Tucano) and dead solid reliability.

It's the class of the field IMO...you will love it.

Beave

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Springbok Flyer

Beave,

Are you using the standard tanks? If so, what have you set as a time limit on your flights? Currently I have 6.5 minutes and it seems rather conservative.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
bevar

Jan,

I set my timer at 7 minutes. If I fly pretty hard it's time to land...if I take it easy I could probably go almost to 10 minutes.

Beave

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Springbok Flyer

Beave, sounds to me that my timer may be even longer than yours. My timer is only activated once my throttle moves beyond idle. When do you start your timer? Cheers, Jan
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Koenieboy

I have a SPT5 -V3 that needed to go back after two 5min flights. The gearbox began to make a strange noise and grease was coming out of the big front bearing.

It is back at Jetcat for repair now....
Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's been some problems reported with this turbine, but nothing as it used to be. Some people are limiting the RPM's and that seems to be a good solution since none of them have reported problems.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

For slightly smaller planes.. you can't beat the WREN 44tp.. it will give you approx 36+ lbs static thrust and LOTSof fun!
hopefully they will re-introduce the 54TP sometime...
I never had a failure with this unit .. Iused DTE light@5%

SEE HERE>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBUTb4oyNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBqBhwuE2M8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8cKUZ-2xY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHYYth1YWU
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: geh3

For slightly smaller planes.. you can't beat the WREN 44tp..

I wan't Jet cat to release a turbo prop based off of the P-20, so I can fly 120 sized models with it.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM
bevar

Guys,

Turbo props in general are going to be more delicate than a regular turbine or a gasser. The new V3 Jetcat is the cats meow (OK...that was a funny) as far I am concerned. I have over 200 logged TP flights so I am getting pretty used to what the deal is. Are they bullet proof? Oh boy...not by a mile. Are they pretty reliable now a days? Indeed...and getting better by the day.

When I first started flying my Tucano a little over two years ago...I was experiencing powerplant failures, some catastrophic every 5 to 6 flights. I was on my 7th powerplant before I was able to get beyond the 6 flight failure threshold. I worked closely with the manufacturer testing all kinds of things to see how to get the reliability up, including wrapping the engine and gearbox with an Eagletree System to log trends, temps, RPMs ETC to try to see what was going on. My 7th engine was a gem and after 50 some odd flights I sold it to a friend who got another 50 or so flights out of it before a bearing let go. No big deal...they fixed it and it's still going strong...in fact I flew it yesterday with him...as well as flying mine.

I have two friends who have/had identical planes and engines two years ago and they too experienced the "5 to 6 flights in between failures" drama. One friend after 4 failures, had to replace a wing and landing gear on his Tucano because of a dead stick and switched to the Jetcat V3 and has been trouble free for over a year. My other friend lost his Tucano from his final powerplant failure and is looking at the Jetcat for his next bird.

As I said before, both my surviving Tucano friend (highly respected in the Jet community, AMA leadership person ETC) and I both switched to Jetcat last year and have been beyond pleased. We have almost 100 total flights between us and have not have the first issue of any kind. Tremendous power (for a TP), awesome reliability ETC ETC ETC.

I have heard of a V3 or two having problems, but that's just the way it goes I suppose.. I have owned PST, Jet Central, Jetcat and EVO Jet engines and guess what...they have all had some kind of failures/issues of some sort. No...not everyone of them have failed, but what I am trying to say is that no one makes perfect products...sooner or later one of them is going to go kaboom.

Beave

Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Koenieboy

Today my turboprop arrived back. It was last thursday that I had it shipped. Well done Jetcat!! [8D] It seems have a new gearbox (was broken), new fuelpump and I think also the ECU.

I'm curious if the problem is solved (remains solved )
Old 04-27-2012, 07:41 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my Wren 54 turboprop with a brand new JetCat V3 today. The gearbox in the Wren failed a couple of weeks ago so it's going back to the UK for repair.

What a difference in power... Wow. The tucano was a lame duck with the Wren with very limited vertical performance. First flight tomorrow, but spooled the V3 up in the backyard today. Incredibly smooth start and running. And I love the very silent cool down sequence.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
bevar

Woohoo!! JC...let me know how it goes.

Still heading to Top Gun next week?

Beave

ORIGINAL: -JC-

I replaced my Wren 54 turboprop with a brand new JetCat V3 today. The gearbox in the Wren failed a couple of weeks ago so it's going back to the UK for repair.

What a difference in power... Wow. The tucano was a lame duck with the Wren with very limited vertical performance. First flight tomorrow, but spooled the V3 up in the backyard today. Incredibly smooth start and running. And I love the very silent cool down sequence.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Beave, leaving Monday hoping to put a bunch of flight on the Tucano tomorrow and Sunday. Markham Park should be pretty empty with the Air & Sea show going on. The paint is still drying though and we still need to fit some scale details, but it will be ready. It took a little more work than expected to switch from Wren to JetCat. Some bodywork was needed.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
bevar

Cool! I'm heading up there Monday so see ya there. Take it easy tomorrow and get ready to enjoy the power!

Beave

PS. Don't forget to set the turbine to 170,000 and the prop to 7750.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM
jonesmarvin
My Feedback: (10)

What size prop are you using ?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mark,
Ali is building me the new Comp-Arf SIAI Marchetti, I am sending him the new Jetcat turbo prop. Looking forward to something differant than the Tucano. Marchetti will be here for this year's Best In The West.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 AM
bevar

Marvin,

We are using Biela 24/12 3 blade props on our Tucanos. I just received the new Biela 24/14 "Turbo Prop" propeller from Gerhard at AI. I have not tried it yet (I will after Top Gun) but it looks pretty sweet.

Beave

ORIGINAL: jonesmarvin

What size prop are you using ?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM
bevar

Joe,

Sounds sweet!!!

Beave

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Hi Mark,
Ali is building me the new Comp-Arf SIAI Marchetti, I am sending him the new Jetcat turbo prop. Looking forward to something differant than the Tucano. Marchetti will be here for this year's Best In The West.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.