Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question on customer service expectations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Question on customer service expectations

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on customer service expectations

Alright.... I'm dying to know what initially broke . Gyro? JetCat I/O board? Electronic gear valve?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You got a case. And you also got a repaired item. One was Free and the other wasn't. Had they told you to "send in for service" you still would have paid.

If you dont trust their work then sell it or give it to a poor person.

I think the company is just fine.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
bidrseed2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're being unfairly hammered in this thread, comments from Fmrr and rragmanliam are hardly constructive.

All credit to you too for not naming the manufacturer.

I think it's entirely reasonable for the average jet model consumer, to be expected of being capable of replacing a case, if all that's required is a screwdriver.

If its not possible to remove the case without causing damage, then they shouldn't have supplied the part.

Someone used the spark plug anallergy above. I dont think this is the same situation, but I'm struggling to think of a better comparison.

I think if I was in your shoes, I might reluctantly take this one on the chin, although I think you've done the right thing, but had the wrong outcome.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Terryh6336
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for very little cost the manufacture could have landed a customer for life. However, they won the battle but lost the war. I would rather have a repeat customer. Nuffsaid
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

IMHO you have a bill to pay
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Can some people please give me some opinions on how they think the following situation should be resolved?

I had an electronic component where the end of the case had broken off. The damage was caused by normal usage and not the result of crash damage or mishandling. I emailed the manufacturer to see if they could send me a new case and they said that it would probably need to go back for servicing. They also asked me to forward a photo of the damage which I did.

I packed up the component and was just about to ship it when I received a new case through the post. I was a bit surprised as I wasn't expecting it but was quite happy to be able to fix the unit myself. Having changed cases on receivers, servos and ECUs before I wasn't worried. That was, until tried to take the old case off. What the manufacturer hadn't told me was that some of the electronic components were actually glued to the inside of the case and there was no way I was going to be able to remove it without damage. As a result I ended up breaking several of the components away from the PCB.

I thought that it would now be be beyond repair but I sent it back anyway, they have fixed it, and I have just received a bill for the work. Do you think this is fair?

Is it my fault for causing the damage or should the manufacturer take some of the responsibility for supplying me with a component (the case) that wasn't simple for me to replace? Had I known what might happen, I would have sent it to them to do for me. At best now, it seems that I will have to pay to get my repaired unit back when it only had a damaged case to start with[&o] I'm not a great fan of using repaired items in my jets so it is now almost worthless to me.[&o]
I think that the manufacturer should have given you a new jet, a nice home with a two-car garage near the beach, an all-paid one week ski vacation in the Alps, free dinners (with two bottles of Crystal Champagne) for you and five guests at the finest restaurant in your area, and new 2.4g receivers for life. Anything less would be an insult.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
rpm303
My Feedback: (18)

If i sell you a toilet, should i make sure you know how to install it and every pitfall that you may incounter while installing it,
Of course not. If you take on a repair and you mess it up, its on you.
Call a plumber.
Pay your bill.[]
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

+1

ORIGINAL: FMRR

You got to be kidding? If you buy a spark plug from Auto x and strip out the head installing it,.....is it auto x fault for selling you the spark plug? You decided to take on ther repair and broke it.Just because it was not what you thought to be the norm does make it the factory fault.Pay the bill and forget about it.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Max_Power

So, they replied to your email saying it probably needed to go back to repair, and that was the last communication but then they changed their mind and just sent one to the mailing address you had given in your initial email. Correct?

Did the components break before you could see them as you initially "cracked it open" or as you were trying to get them out of the glue? I guess I was suggesting you call when the cases came apart and you saw they were buried in glue before you started prying. But that was just how I was imagining as rarely are internals glued to both halves of a enclosure then all stuck together. So the case just broke in half without touching anything at all initially?

If there is a design fault or possible defect why not let everyone know about it so they can inspect theirs and prevent a jet crash?? I mean really? Do you think someone should crash their $$$ plane so a manufacturer can be shielded from negative comments when the fault is partially theirs?(you insinuate it even might be a design fault?) The fault is either "theirs"(even if it was a bubble in the mold or a bad batch of plastic) or "yours". Why all the mystery? What if someone else has a broken case and a "spare" and is contemplating repairing it thierself?

So it just broke for no reason then just broke again for no reason while you happened to be trying to recase it? So thats what more of the story I was looking for...some details that would help people understand. Why not just give out the photos or a better description instead of the "It doesnt matter anyway" attitude....you might get some more people agreeing with you if it really looks like it was a defect or a impossible repair. Sounds like you hamfisted it and want a hug and for someone to say it wasn't your fault and don't want to give out any info that might show otherwise....Yeah, I might be a A** but I call em' as I see em
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Terryh6336

I think for very little cost the manufacture could have landed a customer for life. However, they won the battle but lost the war. I would rather have a repeat customer. Nuffsaid
I agree especially if the situation was explained at the time the part was sent in for repair.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: bidrseed2
comments from Fmrr and rragmanliam are hardly constructive.
BINGO- you got it bud! I wasn't trying to be constructive. If it makes ya feel better here is my input. Where I come from If you break somthing through sheer ignorance, then have the MFG repair it and they send you a bill for the good work they did- YOU PAY IT.
What you don't do is try to weasle out of it and blame others for your mistake. It's called personal responsibility.

rrragman
Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 AM
bidrseed2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Substitute the word "constructive" for helpful.
The OP asked for help if this was considered reasonable. It wasn't an open invitation for anyone with a keyboard to take the p###,anymore than on any other thread.
Its easy too when you're 3500 miles away.

I have thought of another anallergy- if you damage the nut on a kit build engine, you could order a new nut. ( as per the early wren 54) as it was possible to balance them at home.
The wren 44 needs a dynamic balancer. If I called up wren and asked for a new nut, the first question they'd ask is how I was planning to balance it? As I don't have a very expensive dynamic balancer, I'd expect to be told to return the engine to them, and that they wouldn't supply me a nut as its not a "user replaceable item".
If one subsequently arrived in the post and they hadn't explained the need for dynamic balancing, I'd assume it was user replaceable.

But that's just me.

I do wonder though how they were going to replace the case without causing damage.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Bravo77

If I sell you a diamond and you broke it while trying to set it is this my fault?.

pay the bill you broke it
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM
FMRR

Substitute the word ''constructive'' for helpful.
The OP asked for help if this was considered reasonable. It wasn't an open invitation for anyone with a keyboard to take the p###,anymore than on any other thread.

I have thought of another anallergy- if you damage the nut on a kit build engine, you could order a new nut. ( as per the early wren 54) as it was possible to balance them at home.
The wren 44 needs a dynamic balancer. If I called up wren and asked for a new nut, the first question they'd ask is how I was planning to balance it? As I don't have a very expensive dynamic balancer, I'd expect to be told to return the engine to them, and that they wouldn't supply me a nut as its not a ''user replaceable item''.
If one subsequently arrived in the post and they hadn't explained the need for dynamic balancing, I'd assume it was user replaceable.

But that's just me.

I do wonder though how they were going to replace the case without causing damage.
Wrong wrong wrong.You should have the proper education,knowledge,skills,tools and equipment to do the repair or build you decided to take on.If you don't pay a pro to do. I can see you trying to do heart surgery on one of your friends and making a mistake with a scalpel. Then wanting to sue the scalpel mfg for not telling you how sharp they are.

But that's just me

Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Really? Asked for help? I quote "Can some people please give me some opinions on how they think the following situation should be resolved?" He asked for opinions and that is an open invitiation.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 AM
marc s

If I sell you a diamond and you broke it while trying to set it is this my fault?
If the customer who wants the diamond asked if it was possible to mount the diamond in the mount he has (assuming you supplied the mount too as in this case) and you knew it was not possible would you still have supplied the diamond without advising him?

This is more in line with the scenario and if your answer is no then I would be very concerned!

I make a small range of hand made accessories for jet models and if I was asked by a customer if he could have a spare part for one of these, and I knew he would have trouble fitting it or could damage things in the process I am not sure I would happily supply the part but suggest he sent it to me for a repair or replacement. It does not make the case right or wrong but its important to make sure the facts and situation are kept the same.

marcs
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that says it all. Pay the bill.

Can some people please give me some opinions on how they think the following situation should be resolved?

I had an electronic component where the end of the case had broken off. The damage was caused by normal usage and not the result of crash damage or mishandling. I emailed the manufacturer to see if they could send me a new case and they said that it would probably need to go back for servicing. They also asked me to forward a photo of the damage which I did.

I packed up the component and was just about to ship it when I received a new case through the post. I was a bit surprised as I wasn't expecting it but was quite happy to be able to fix the unit myself. Having changed cases on receivers, servos and ECUs before I wasn't worried. That was, until tried to take the old case off. What the manufacturer hadn't told me was that some of the electronic components were actually glued to the inside of the case and there was no way I was going to be able to remove it without damage. As a result I ended up breaking several of the components away from the PCB.

I thought that it would now be be beyond repair but I sent it back anyway, they have fixed it, and I have just received a bill for the work. Do you think this is fair?

Is it my fault for causing the damage or should the manufacturer take some of the responsibility for supplying me with a component (the case) that wasn't simple for me to replace? Had I known what might happen, I would have sent it to them to do for me. At best now, it seems that I will have to pay to get my repaired unit back when it only had a damaged case to start with[&o] I'm not a great fan of using repaired items in my jets so it is now almost worthless to me.[&o]
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
rrragmanliam

Substitute the word ''constructive'' for helpful.....

I have thought of another anallergy.....

Then you would be responsible for the damage caused because you were ignorant of the correct procedures involved to make the repair correctly. Your analogy ( substitute the word analogy for the word anallergy ?) makes my point not yours.

Rrragman
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
[email protected]

go to pb hobbies for the best service in the usa
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
flyinfool1

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with and applaud you for keeping the manufacturers name and/or product out of this thread. It really is irrelevant to the topic.

When the case did not come apart the way you thought it should, that is where you should have stopped and asked a question, either here on the forums or another call to the manufacturer.
Odds are that it was hot melt glue holding it together. Thats very common. I have replaced cases on certain electronics that were hot glued on. I have the experience and knowledge to have noticed this at the time it did not come apart easily, and then used a heat gun to release the glue. You NEVER pry or yank anything electronic.

Yes I would be POed, but at myself for not doing it right.

It sounds to me like the manufacturer was trying to do the gracious and right thing to make a happy customer by sending you the case for free. You did send them your address which would imply that you were hinting at a new case, otherwise there was no reason to include your shipping address in the original email.

The only way I would say the the manufacturer was in the wrong is if the repair bill was outrageously expensive where you would have been better or cheaper off buying a new unit.

As far as trusting the repaired unit.
If it was just leaded components that you broke off the leads while prying it apart, the repair will likely be MORE reliable that the original flow soldering. Hand soldering by someone that knows what they are doing is of higher quality than production machine soldering. I have repaired MANY bad solder joints that were done by automated machinery including some in very expensive top of the line equipment.
Had it been a case where it was burned out then you would be reasonable to assume that other components might have been stressed by what ever condition caused the burnout and the long term reliability may now be in question.
When I have a piece of electronics that needs repair, if I would not trust the repair, it goes right in the trash. If I cant trust it then I will not repair it just to sell or even give it to some unsuspecting person just to recoup some of my losses. I know I would not be happy to buy a used part that failed and the seller sold it because they did not trust a repair job.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Max_Power

FlyinFool1....Your interest seems to be in defending the manufacturer from "Bad Press" .Just to clarify my viewpoint, The reason I think the OP should reveal the manufacturer is that he states the the product failed without crash damage or mishandling and with "normal use", And implies that there might be some non-visible issues if disassembling or a design defect. I think it is VERY relevant ...perhaps not to this specific post...but in the interest of safety and money that might be lost in another fliers failure (would not a broken case cause stress to the electronic connections?) .

To me its the same as someone posting "Hey, my 2 friends and I just got new x brand radios and are using them with a g4567 reciever and have all had multiple glitches 2 resulting in crashes and destruction of the model!" What if THAT person refused to say the name of the product? Would you urge them to? If it really just fell apart that is definitely something that should be shared with "The Brotherhood of Aeromodelers" As far as disputing the company's customer service it isn't necessary, But honestly a picture might show that the issue was far different than we are assuming. Actually my assumption was that the picture might show a larger factor of user error and DEFEND a seemingly accused manufacturer. There are simply too many threads here where a poster only writes half the story and to me that is far less "fair"

Honestly if the issue is as stated and the manufacturer will charge for the repair then I don't see any way that it would be "slamming" the manufacturer or not important for prospective consumers to know. Todd
Old 05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
flyinfool1

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

FlyinFool1....Your interest seems to be in defending the manufacturer from ''Bad Press'' .Just to clarify my viewpoint, The reason I think the OP should reveal the manufacturer is that he states the the product failed without crash damage or mishandling and with ''normal use'', And implies that there might be some non-visible issues if disassembling or a design defect. I think it is VERY relevant ...perhaps not to this specific post...but in the interest of safety and money that might be lost in another fliers failure (would not a broken case cause stress to the electronic connections?) .

To me its the same as someone posting ''Hey, my 2 friends and I just got new x brand radios and are using them with a g4567 reciever and have all had multiple glitches 2 resulting in crashes and destruction of the model!'' What if THAT person refused to say the name of the product? Would you urge them to? If it really just fell apart that is definitely something that should be shared with ''The Brotherhood of Aeromodelers'' As far as disputing the company's customer service it isn't necessary, But honestly a picture might show that the issue was far different than we are assuming. Actually my assumption was that the picture might show a larger factor of user error and DEFEND a seemingly accused manufacturer. There are simply too many threads here where a poster only writes half the story and to me that is far less ''fair''

Honestly if the issue is as stated and the manufacturer will charge for the repair then I don't see any way that it would be ''slamming'' the manufacturer or not important for prospective consumers to know. Todd
Really???
You are comparing what started as a cosmetic issue with something that is crashing every plane that brand X is used on.

I responded to the questions that the OP asked.

The questions the OP asked were for opinions about the fairness of the manufacturer for asking to get paid for repairs to user damage. The case that you have brought up is a very different issue that I would expect to need to know the specific product.

The OP was not condemning the product, just being billed for damage he did.

Too many people try to turn everything into a which hunt.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
kingtight

I think something is missing here the manufacture knew he wouldnt be able to repair it without damage and they never told him.They witheld that information
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

FlyinFool1....Your interest seems to be in defending the manufacturer from ''Bad Press'' .Just to clarify my viewpoint, The reason I think the OP should reveal the manufacturer is that he states the the product failed without crash damage or mishandling and with ''normal use'', And implies that there might be some non-visible issues if disassembling or a design defect. I think it is VERY relevant ...perhaps not to this specific post...but in the interest of safety and money that might be lost in another fliers failure (would not a broken case cause stress to the electronic connections?) .

To me its the same as someone posting ''Hey, my 2 friends and I just got new x brand radios and are using them with a g4567 reciever and have all had multiple glitches 2 resulting in crashes and destruction of the model!'' What if THAT person refused to say the name of the product? Would you urge them to? If it really just fell apart that is definitely something that should be shared with ''The Brotherhood of Aeromodelers'' As far as disputing the company's customer service it isn't necessary, But honestly a picture might show that the issue was far different than we are assuming. Actually my assumption was that the picture might show a larger factor of user error and DEFEND a seemingly accused manufacturer. There are simply too many threads here where a poster only writes half the story and to me that is far less ''fair''

Honestly if the issue is as stated and the manufacturer will charge for the repair then I don't see any way that it would be ''slamming'' the manufacturer or not important for prospective consumers to know. Todd

WOW, the sky is falling...... RC manufactures are holding out and not letting their consumers know the truth.... OH MY........

I guess you guys have never tried to replace servo cases, the circuit boards are glued in to keep them positioned correctly as well as some of the motors. i found this out 10 years ago no black ops here.
The case most likely failed from being subjected to chemicals (fuel), excessive heat or cold and vibration. Oh and i forgot it is our responsibility to monitor our equipment and replace it when necessary.....

Alan

Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

I provide warranty support on software that we sell to our customers, if one of my customers calls in and requests an upgrade to their product that they are entitled too because they are under a warranty agreement or service contract i will send them what they request. I will suggest that they have us perform the install at a minor cost.

If they decline and have their technical staff perform the install and screw up the installation we will bill them to correct the issues their staff created, we are not responsible for training them in the proper procedure to upgrade their system.

Alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.