Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I started flying Futaba, then moved to JR after 3 Futaba radio failures (in which Futaba admitted transmitter failures). I have never had a radio failure with JR save for one lockout that I to this day think was caused by a noisy fuel pump

LGM you're lucky, I have seem DSM2 lockout and plenty of planes, now this for spektrum radios, which I think is the same for JR if I'm not mistaken.

Also I heard some jet rallies banned DSM / DSM2?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Ed

It has taken a bit of time since 2.4Ghz has hit the market, but knowledgeable people have learned, that a receiver with multi satellite receivers and antennas, buys a huge a mount of insurance.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread makes me feel so good. I've flown Airtronics, Futaba, HiTec, JR and never had a radio or servo problem after 25 years doing R/C.

I think a lot of modelers focus on the hardware too much, then totally mess up the basics. Same with centering, how critical is it if the pilot doesnt trim or CG the model properly, or doesn't even know how to use the rudder? Yes, the left stick also moves sideways not just up!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 PM
murdock0700

I too have a Radio brand preference, but as far as the servo's go, they are all made by the same Mfg... Just like the Anti-Freeze you buy for your car,... all is made in the same place but is distributed and sold and labeled by different companies.. Yes, the quality, specs, and prices are different, but they all come from the same place.

H.M..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: murdock0700

I too have a Radio brand preference, but as far as the servo's go, they are all made by the same Mfg... Just like the Anti-Freeze you buy for your car,... all is made in the same place but is distributed and sold and labeled by different companies.. Yes, the quality, specs, and prices are different, but they all come from the same place.

H.M..

Not true on the servo manufacture.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely the extra channels early on, the preset programming features that you would use in a jet on the radios and the strong marketing towards the jet flyers on the servos. Other aspects also come to mind, I feel that the cable colors used on the JR servos (black, brown and orange) may be perceived as a stronger, more reliable cable than the black/red/white even if the gauge is the same! Same goes for the connector!

Funny that, like me many swear on JR's (standard US) current programming features, yet JR/Graupner's programming in the MX-22/24 series (since around 2005) is light years ahead, yes I got myself an MX-22! i won't even compare it to the Futaba 12z or 14Mz, but I feel it's far superior. i wonder how this "obsession" would have turned out if all USA JR radios had the same programming capabilities of the MX.
Hey!!! it is still a JR radio....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I started flying jets (ducted fans) in the early 1990's I had an 8 channel Futaba radio. It was fine for my first couple of small ducted fan planes, but as my models got more complex I needed more channels and better servos. I bought a JR 10SXII in 1995 because it was the most advanced radio at the time and I wanted something that would last a long time. I started using JR servos because at the time they had the best selection and most advanced servos on the market.
I used the SXII for 12 years without a hitch, finally replacing it with a 10X in 2007.
A year or two later 2.4 radios started hitting the market, but I decided to stick with my trusty 10X and watch and see which system(s) appeared the most reliable.
This year I finally made a decision. For the same reason(s) that I decided to switch from Futaba to JR 17 years ago, I decided to switch back to Futaba this year. I bought a 18MZ.
I think it is the most advanced radio on the mainstream market today, and from what I have seen over the last years I think Futaba's 2.4 technology is more reliable than Spectrum/JR's. I think this is a radio that will serve me well for years to come.
I am still using JR servos, and will probably continue to do so, but I will probably use some of Futaba's S-bus servos in some applications as well.
I try to buy equipment that is the best bang for the buck. Brand loyalty does play a small roll in my decision making process, but reliability, quality, and innovation are all much higher on the list.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

How is the gear wear on JETS on the JR Servos, I would think they would be more suspect-able to wear then the hardened steel gears on futaba, or the titanium gears on the hitec, and this is what would cause them to jitter.

Lastly has anyone tried using a programming to set a VERY low deadband on the newer generation hitec's also the higher resolution? I'm curious and want to test my 7955tgs against the JR 8711 in centering, also test my BLS157's

I'd look to the giant scale 3d guys for best info on servo wear and what lasts , and what does not ... 3d heli stick bangers also will give you a good idea. Depending on the gear train some servos will develop slop while others won't. Hitec seems to have the most solid slop free gear trains in some of their servos, however motor and electronics are not as reliable as other brands ( based on the number of publicly reported failures )

~V~
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my 40% 3D planes I used TOL Hitecs due to their amazing gear. On my IMAC planes, I used JR due to the better centering.

With jets, I use JR because resale value is higher. No one wants to buy a jet with Hitec servos!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I started flying Futaba, then moved to JR after 3 Futaba radio failures (in which Futaba admitted transmitter failures). I have never had a radio failure with JR save for one lockout that I to this day think was caused by a noisy fuel pump

LGM you're lucky, I have seem DSM2 lockout and plenty of planes, now this for spektrum radios, which I think is the same for JR if I'm not mistaken.

Also I heard some jet rallies banned DSM / DSM2?

The lockout was on 72mhz. I personally have never seen a lockout on any JR 2.4 systems.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

ORIGINAL: dubd
No one wants to buy a jet with Hitec servos!!
That's what I don't understand, is it soley because of centering? I would think USED jr with worn gear trains would be worse than hitec...

Need to look into this further, however, how many flights do you get on a JR servo inside a JET before it needs to be replaced, I know with giant scale aerobatics / 3d / gear replacements happen about every 60-100 flights. I would say a work JR gear train is far worse than the centering of a hitec servo.

Finally, what about Futaba or Aittronics servos, why aren't people using them. I can't say I have seen anyone complain about airtronics failing / lockout? They have some really good prices on coreless high torque digis.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:07 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I don't understand, is it soley because of centering? I would think USED jr with worn gear trains would be worse than hitec...

Need to look into this further, however, how many flights do you get on a JR servo inside a JET before it needs to be replaced, I know with giant scale aerobatics / 3d / gear replacements happen about every 60-100 flights. I would say a work JR gear train is far worse than the centering of a hitec servo.

Finally, what about Futaba or Aittronics servos, why aren't people using them. I can't say I have seen anyone complain about airtronics failing / lockout? They have some really good prices on coreless high torque digis.
I've had jets with hundreds of flights and zero slop with JR servos. It's a different when compared to my experience with JR servos on my giant scale 3D/IMAC planes, where I did have to replace the gear after about 100 flights.

Regarding resale, I believe JR is a safe bet since it's what most jet guys are familiar with. The other servos are comparable in price, so if you're comfortable, why switch or buy a competitors product?

My Skymaster F-16 has high end Airtronics servos throughout and I've had zero issues. However, I know I'll take a hit if I ever decided to sell the plane.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

No obsession with me. Changing from 36 mHz to 2.4 GHZ was crunch time for me, JR for 20 years up until that point. New transmitter & recievers meant no compatibility or
loyalty issues so I simply bought what I thought was the most reliable radio at that time after reading Paul Gray's thread, reading about the issues people were having with JR 2.4 and speaking to people who had already switched to 2.4.

Futaba FASST, a channel hopping system like everyone else (including, finally, JR) use.

Still use JR servos along with most other 'name' brands. - John.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used all three products, but have currently use JR 12X for the past 5 or so years. As the only CD Turbine Instructor on my field, when anyone up grades to a jet, in order to buddy box them, the student then has to match the Instructor's transmitter. Since I am using JR, then my students, if not already using JR, have to buy a JR transmitter to make things easier. In the training jets, most use what is the cheapest, yet digital, so that if it goes into the ground, not a significant loss, but fortunately, I haven't lost one during training yet. One of my students had a high end FUT transmitter that he had just bought for the jets, but sold it, traded it in, inorder to be on the buddy box with the instructor at the field that he respects. There are other jet pilots at the feild using FUT, but that student didn't trust that jet pilot as an instructor, so, he switched to JR. Just makes things easier for teaching. Even though these students did their initial jet training on a trainer jet, I will still buddy box them on their newest creation, if I am asked, which I am often. So, IMHO.....it has to do with teaching, and what your training Instructor is using at the time. Plus, from my point of view, I just like the programming options, reliability of the product, although I do hate the original 12X tranmitter battery and now using straight lipo with no issues.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think jet flyers choose what they consider to be the absolute best equipment available to them regardless of cost, whether it be Futaba or JR. Hitec and Airtronics aren't a consideration as they don't rank with the big boys, they don't offer the high end multi thousand $ transmitters etc. Smartfly is another piece you commonly see in aerobatic stuff but, rarely see in jets, it's all powerbox or in some cases, weatronics. The cheaper brands are just not seen as good enough.

Mike

Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM
snir2001

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using the Futaba 12FG that I think is the best value for what you get in a radio (Yes, I want the 18MZ but the price is f%%@&*)
Also, it seems that the FASST technology is superior.
In my jets only HiTec servos, I like the programming abilities there...
So, after 30 years using futaba (72 50 and 2.4) with no problem what so ever, I can't think about something else.
About the servos, I use the Hitec for the last 5 years on my jets, again, perfect results. and the titanium gear train is superb!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I used to fly JR but after losing 3 high powered EDFs to lock out I switched to Futaba (LGM, I believe you were at Jets Over Whidbey when my Starfire went in due to lock out). Since switching to Futaba, I have started using the sBus system. On the three jets with sBus, l am using the sBus servoson all surfaces except the elevator where I've used the JR 3421 because they fit in the horizontal stab. By the way, since switching to Futaba, I haven't experienced one lock out, glitch, or anything other than normal, smooth operation. I know two JR reps who were previouslyFutaba reps. Both said the reason they switched to JR was because they get a better discount with JR.

Kirk
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

... I think you will find the JR domination is beginning to fade away as the offerings became competitive from Futaba and other brands.....
Todd, does this mean you will start carrying Futaba equipment?

Kirk

Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a guy is trying to decide what brand to use, or whether to switch, the philosophy that seems to work is to watch the folks that fly a lot. You know, the ones that always seem to be on the flight line racking up flight after flight. What are they using? He should go do what they are doing.

This could explain the large percentage of JR equipment. Many; if not most, of the competition jet pilots, flyers that go to many jet meets, the BVM guys, etc., use JR. And they seem to get the job done. This may explain why JR is popular in jets.

Doesn't mean other brands are bad for jets. But if a guy can't decide, then just copy those that are successful.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Here's a quick way to settle this question on your own.

Gather up a selection of Futaba, JR, and Hitec servos. Attach a short stick to the servo arms, 3 or 4 inches is good. A pointy end is good too. The stick will make it easy to see how accurate the servo is.

Now, plug them all into a receiver with a battery and compare centering performance.

I did this some time ago. On my own, I was able to decide which servos to use.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Kirk

Hopefully yes, we are working on Futaba distribution now.....

H.M..
For the most part, this is an incorrect statement! True, there many Asian servos being made in the same facility but for the top brands there is no connection in manufacturing. I have seen a few items cross branded but not a common occurrence.

Todd
Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Kirk

Hopefully yes, we are working on Futaba distribution now.....

H.M..
For the most part, this is an incorrect statement! True, there many Asian servos being made in the same facility but for the top brands there is no connection in manufacturing. I have seen a few items cross branded but not a common occurrence.

Todd

Hi,

You can totally tell some servos are manufactured differently by turning them on and listening to them (let alone observing other aspects of their performance).
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Rob2160

Sorry for the dumb question... but WHY do you need so many channels in jets...

My guesses are...

Split elevators that also act as ailerons / tailerons

Ailerons that double as Flaps.. Flaps that double as ailerons / spoilers?

Gear and Speed brakes of course...

My 8FG Futaba can do all those at once..I must have overlookedsomething? Just genuinely curious why you need so many channels and how are they utilised?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Just genuinely curious why you need so many channels and how are they utilised?
From my F-100

1 throttle
2 aileron
3 aileron
4 flap
5 flap
6 retract/door sequencer
7 elevator (actually a huge all moving tailplane)
8 elevator
9 rudder
10 nosewheel steering
11 wheel brake
12 airbrake
13 brake chute doors
14 brake chute cable release
15 afterburner ring

Many require high power servos and we will not send the current for two or more down a Y lead, so either you need a separate channel for each so each gets its own Rx socket, or use fewer channels but fit a device such as those from emcotec or powerbox, or matchboxes with batteries, or use Weatronic radio, to ensure adequate power and no overloading of any wire.
Of those options, separate channels from the Tx can be the best since it makes for the easiest way to adjust and match travels etc.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: HarryC

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Just genuinely curious why you need so many channels and how are they utilised?
From my F-100

1 throttle
2 aileron
3 aileron
4 flap
5 flap
6 retract/door sequencer
7 elevator (actually a huge all moving tailplane)
8 elevator
9 rudder
10 nosewheel steering
11 wheel brake
12 airbrake
13 brake chute doors
14 brake chute cable release
15 afterburner ring

Many require high power servos and we will not send the current for two or more down a Y lead, so either you need a separate channel for each so each gets its own Rx socket, or use fewer channels but fit a device such as those from emcotec or powerbox, or matchboxes with batteries, or use Weatronic radio, to ensure adequate power and no overloading of any wire.
Of those options, separate channels from the Tx can be the best since it makes for the easiest way to adjust and match travels etc.
Thank you very much..

I can see why now..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.