Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle F-14 1/7.5 and F-15E 1/7 scale build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle F-14 1/7.5 and F-15E 1/7 scale build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle F-14 1/7.5 and F-15E 1/7 scale build thread

Starting to look like Mr DJ's house up in there!
Scott
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Nope I will have my 3 jets and I will fly them.
ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Starting to look like Mr DJ's house up in there!
Scott
Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
FenderBean

Eye candy! Videos will come when I get some motivation, im bummed cant go to KY jets crazy I get bummed when I cant go fly rc jets because im flying a 30million dollar helicopter
Some cool things you may notice, my hinges are installed, and so are the servo boxes, which are all wood by the way. Fej has me figured out finally but I dont care what anyone says this f-14 is niiiiiccccceeeee!!!!!!
One other thing I never noticed was the main gear has a small air cylinder for a locking the strut.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76802.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1779072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77277.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1779073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44805.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1779074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56497.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1779075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53532.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1779076   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43581.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1779077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61851.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1779078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72825.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1779079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36712.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1779080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95296.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1779081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73029.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1779082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98875.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1779083  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
FenderBean

more

Name:	Nl28629.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1779084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69369.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1779085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73485.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1779086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88653.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1779087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25289.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1779088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo32077.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1779089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93336.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1779090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55606.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1779091  

Name:	Mr39960.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1779092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60880.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1779093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98733.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1779094  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith, it's really looking good. Can't wait to see you get it done. THey are great flyers.

Lowell
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 AM
EagleJC
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Keith:

Great, all is in good condition during shipping to you. The big bubbple rapes make the model safer during transportation.

Bring it to KY Jets and I might have one there too.

Thanks
James

Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Man, you are soooooo lucky the servo boxes were installed on yours. Not sure why they weren't for Dantley's. It sure is creating a lot more work for me though.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, can FEJ explain the inconsistency? fender gets wood servo boxes installed and I get "honey comb" and it's not installed....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
FenderBean

Dudb, just a thought to your post, I got the first set of slat wings, so mine are pretty much trial and error . The normal kit comes as yours did, plus I told FEJ to give me all ply with honey comb skin. I'm a weird cookie when it comes to the hobby, I have my idea on things, even if its totally wrong I still like it my way. FEJ goes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy beyond what I would do for someone to make them happy. I am sorry if my jet and request upset anyone, I really like the fact I have such a personal relationship with the company and the reps. I am very understanding and after a year in this hobby I have found there is no perfect jet or way of doing things. So I take each project/jet and try to make it my own and as personal as I can, I love to build and love the challenge.
I would like to restate something I commented on your build, the wing servo boxes are fine being honey comb, as long as they are attached to the top and bottom skins and all hard points are secure you should have no problem. My brain has been going 90 to nothing for a year on some things, we are way over doing everything. We are adding way more tq than needed on servos and making something waaaaaaay more complex than it has to be. Just my thoughts, I know they dont count since everyone doesn't care what I think. Good luck with your f-14 im sure you will love it.
I am starting to think my efforts to do build threads to help people and learn are doing more harm than good, I have no problem vanishing and doing my own thing if something as simple as my request vs yours causes problem. Lots of passionate people here, which is cool but can be rough for morale at times. I will stop this build now and just do it on my own, if anyone needs my help feel free to ask via pms.
ORIGINAL: dubd

Seriously, can FEJ explain the inconsistency? fender gets wood servo boxes installed and I get ''honey comb'' and it's not installed....
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Dudb, just a thought to your post, I got the first set of slat wings, so mine are pretty much trial and error . The normal kit comes as yours did, plus I told FEJ to give me all ply with honey comb skin. I'm a weird cookie when it comes to the hobby, I have my idea on things, even if its totally wrong I still like it my way. FEJ goes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy beyond what I would do for someone to make them happy. I am sorry if my jet and request upset anyone, I really like the fact I have such a personal relationship with the company and the reps. I am very understanding and after a year in this hobby I have found there is no perfect jet or way of doing things. So I take each project/jet and try to make it my own and as personal as I can, I love to build and love the challenge.
I would like to restate something I commented on your build, the wing servo boxes are fine being honey comb, as long as they are attached to the top and bottom skins and all hard points are secure you should have no problem. My brain has been going 90 to nothing for a year on some things, we are way over doing everything. We are adding way more tq than needed on servos and making something waaaaaaay more complex than it has to be. Just my thoughts, I know they dont count since everyone doesn't care what I think. Good luck with your f-14 im sure you will love it.
I am starting to think my efforts to do build threads to help people and learn are doing more harm than good, I have no problem vanishing and doing my own thing if something as simple as my request vs yours causes problem. Lots of passionate people here, which is cool but can be rough for morale at times. I will stop this build now and just do it on my own, if anyone needs my help feel free to ask via pms.

Seriously, can FEJ explain the inconsistency? fender gets wood servo boxes installed and I get ''honey comb'' and it's not installed....
Hey Fender. I think your over reacting big time to Dantleys post. Seems pretty simple to me, hes bummed cause his install wasnt as easy as yours and it should have been. Didnt sound to me like he was having a crack at you. People do value your opinion and your recommendations. Myself included. You will always get the odd keyboard hero in this game who has to unconstructively point out every this and that, but there is also alot of good advice from people who have been there. Just think of the people your helping and carry on with your build threads mate.
Cheers
Levi
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 AM
marcpamjoce

ditto
Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 AM
FenderBean

Yeah I know, I just dont want another event like last time is all. I was having a bad day when that got posted, so your right I over reacted. [&o] I am having some problems getting motivated these days. Could be the south Alabama humid heat getting to me, plus now I have to move in about 7 months to New York state and deploy a month later to Afghanistan. I may just wait till i get back before I even start these jets, my Army pay doesnt support the hobby very well, I need to hit the lottery it takes awhile of saving up to get the big ticket items.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Levi Wags

Hey Fender. I think your over reacting big time to Dantleys post. Seems pretty simple to me, hes bummed cause his install wasnt as easy as yours and it should have been. Didnt sound to me like he was having a crack at you. People do value your opinion and your recommendations. Myself included. You will always get the odd keyboard hero in this game who has to unconstructively point out every this and that, but there is also alot of good advice from people who have been there. Just think of the people your helping and carry on with your build threads mate.
Cheers
Levi
Levi nailed it. . I can't wrench on anything until my workshop is set-up, so it's causing my buddy/builder Ian more work. Keep on keeping on! It's good to get your point of view on these planes. In the end, the entire community benefits.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
FenderBean

One of my favorite movies
on a better note, I have been looking over the F-14 in microscopic detail[>:] so far I have found no flaws, my paint is perfect, clean and have found nothing wrong. It really is a work of art, can't wait to get the new F-15, it really sucks I cant get these jets flying before I deploy. Army has me in save mode with all the cut backs and draw downs coming down the pipe. Hey dubd can you get me a weight on your wings? trying to compare how much heavier the slat version is with all ply vs the non slat with honey comb boxes.
ORIGINAL

ORIGINAL: Levi Wags

Cheers
Levi
Levi nailed it. . I can't wrench on anything until my workshop is set-up, so it's causing my buddy/builder Ian more work. Keep on keeping on! It's good to get your point of view on these planes. In the end, the entire community benefits.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 PM
dubd

I'll see if Ian can weigh the wings.

Sucks about the uncertainty of your Army career. I hope things work out for you.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are the interior surfaces of this honeycomb covered in some sort of composite? The only honeycomb construction i have seen utilzed primarily prepreg not wet layup and any wet layup areas had to have the honeycomb cells filled up with a cabosil mixture which weighed a ton.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 AM
FenderBean

Well all the jets FEJ is producing use the honey comb material and it from I saw with my F-16 it is less weight. My F-16 was the old material except for the new set of elevators and rudders I received. I checked the old against the new and the were less. The 1/5 F-16 was less weight than my 1/6 so i dont know, im smart on material lay up so I cannot answer your question. If you look at the close up picture of the wing mounts about u can see the honey comb material which is the skin of the entire aircraft.
ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Are the interior surfaces of this honeycomb covered in some sort of composite? The only honeycomb construction i have seen utilzed primarily prepreg not wet layup and any wet layup areas had to have the honeycomb cells filled up with a cabosil mixture which weighed a ton.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Matt, the honeycomb on the interior parts is just sandwiched between thin fiberglass sheets. This is fine for large areas like the fuse. The cells are NOT filled with resin as this would create ridiculous weight. They are definitely not infusing these parts otherwise that is what would happen so I am thinking it is a wet layup. The problem with this is that if you dont do it right and saturate the outside layers of the sandwich thoroughly then you will not get a good bond to the core material. I think this is happening with the servo box parts. They are laying up sheets of core material and then cutting the parts out on a CNC. But some of the parts I got were not bonded properly so they were peeling and when that happens well forget about strength. You are not saving much weight so I just don't know why they don't stick with ply. But that is what I am doing, designing new ribs to tie into the spars and then a plate that goes on top to mount the servo to.

Fender, I will try and weigh the wings at lunchtime.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
FenderBean

Building has started
Overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryKBi...ature=youtu.be
enjoy
Old 08-04-2012, 07:20 PM
FenderBean

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktcYT...ature=youtu.be
#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPaNk...ature=youtu.be
#4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmqXh...ature=youtu.be

Elevator servo tray mod and install
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 PM
FenderBean

Good night RCU land feels good to build some, I will go through nose cone tray install tomorrow and probably the rudders servo install.

Does anyone know a place to get paint templates decals for this size f-14? I would really like to add some of the more detailed markings.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 PM
FenderBean

Finished the nose cone install and the elevator assemble. I made an aluminum part to prevent the mounting hardware on the elevator assemble from crushing the ply. Enjoy
#5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5rDR...ature=youtu.be
#6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGMtj...ature=youtu.be

Name:	Bz78027.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1789519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67021.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1789520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11349.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1789521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91399.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1789522   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27948.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1789523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38691.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1789524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41789.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1789525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77675.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1789526  

Name:	Ig11070.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1789527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49270.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1789528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30688.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1789529  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Fender,

Can you send me two of those piece you built for the end?   Let me know the cost.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
FenderBean

I can but its a simple thing to make I the aluminum I used was thin enough to use cutting shears, even being heat treat. My friend has the material I will ask if he can cut two more, it took like 30 mins to cut and drill both.
ORIGINAL: Wap4life

Hey Fender,

Can you send me two of those piece you built for the end? Let me know the cost.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
FenderBean

I have a questions for current and past FEJ F-14 owners. Any problems with the robart hinges not being pushed in to the pivot point? I have seen this done on WW2 type planes for flaps and stuff. My flaps have about 1/4 in extending from the wing to the pivot point, and same for rudder.
The hinges are weakest at the pivot points so I dont thing it would matter just pondering
See drawing

Name:	Ca82074.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1789796  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.