Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Makita 18V Blower

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Makita 18V Blower

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makita 18V Blower

I was thinking that i would pick up a Makita Blower (i know-some friends say its a waste) for my 1st and 2nd fully ducted turbine.

i went to the following website

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...oducts/bbo.asp

any body have any dealings with these folks. the Makita is still a bit pricey but this place appears to have the best prices.

thanks

and see some of you at Kentucky Jets.

Joe
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Makita 18V Blower

Joe, My Black & Decker leaf blower that I purchased at Home Depot is still going strong .... and this is my 5th season with it. I think I paid $ 79. Just something to consider ....

Bob
Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
weazel1

have you tried amazon .com i had to get a charger for my makita and it was alot less than what they are selling for on that site
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Ur never gonna wear it out.....go with what's inexpensive.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i still have my makita thats at least 6 plus years old. still going. small and compact and works great.
Scott
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the Makita as I had the drills and a couple batteries. I like the size and the rubber discharge nozzle that can be reversed to turn into a vacuum if needed to suck some FOD out of a fuse. It's a great unit.

PaulD

Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

What are you using the blower for?

http://www.bing.com/shopping/bub182z...182Z&FORM=HURE
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: indubitably
yeah, +1 on that
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 AM
jetster81

[quote]ORIGINAL: indubitably

And why is this thread on this forum?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 AM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

My question is about cooling measures, - Since the point is raised, lets hear some cool responses?

Is the cool down built into the ECU program not adequate? The other extreme for an example, is a recent crash that i witnessed. P100RX in a Flash. Too slow in final turn to land, and the plane went in vertical from 30 feet. Fortunately no fire. The engine was cleaned up, and the pins from the ECU straightened (no parts presently), and the engine runs perfectly. Not flown yet, but the engine is in another plane, and ready to fly. But there was no cool down at all, and the engine still works. Perfectly. The point is - the question. Do we need weed blowers to assist the cool down after a flight? Im glad there is a cooling cycle for the sake of both engine and airplane, and the new RX engines seem to be more serious about cooling, in that cooling is done when it stops. The earlier versions would stop and start several cycles of cool down. Possibly with the internal T probes, the end of cooling is better determined.
I am trying to reduce the parafanalia need at the air field, and wondered how important further cooing measures really were. A real question.
John
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the blowers are from a time gone past when the thought was that we could "lessen" the stress on starter motors and batteries by "helping" them during the cool-down period by shortening the amount of cycles. I entered turbines right after air-start was on its way out, but don't know if the blower may have also been used to save scuba air?

I quit using the blower many years ago, then went back to using a blower about a year after that stopped. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but it definitely doesn't hurt!![8D]
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A blower (leaf, or otherwise) is useful to help remove radiant heat from the engine and airframe after the engine is shut down.

On an airframe with an internally mounted engine the ducting (intake, bypass, tailpipe, etc) is designed to maintain airflow through and around the engine for proper cooling, and to protect the airframe from excess heat. Once the engine is shut off there is no more airflow and the radiant heat within the engine has to be dissipated somewhere as the engine cools off. If there is no airflow through the ducting the excess heat will be contained within, and transferred directly to the airframe and all the equipment inside.
I always use a blower to help cool my models with internally mounted engines, not because the engine needs it, but to help dissipate the heat from the airframe, electronic equipment, and control linkages that might be damaged by high temperatures. I almost never use a blower on my Bobcat since the engine is externally mounted and excess heat is dissipated directly into the atmosphere without any possibility of affecting the airplane.

FWIW, I use a 12V marine blower like this: http://www.go2marine.com/product/202...FVJntgodkR8nwA powered by a 2S Lipo, and a short piece of dryer vent pipe for cooling.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

preventative maintenance.
30 seconds to blow out really hot air from your inside the airframe goes a long way.
Im in Texas and its already hot to begin with. I dont really want the insides of my expensive jet baking cause Im too lazy to blow out the heat. Not to mention the outside as well.
Scott
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

My supereagle had a problem where after running it everything would expand a little and I got a slight rub. Well it would skip the cooldown cycle due to the extra friction. A blower saved the day for me to help cool it down. I have since sent it out for repair and its all good now.

We always due a 2 min cooldown on our fullscale turbines not so much to (cool it down) but to normalize the temp on the turbine wheels.

Will skipping a cooldown mean all is lost.... No But it will make your next service more expensive when parts are warped.

Also your best friend in a hot start will be the blower if you can get the fuel shut off.