Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King turbine!

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

Now that thread has calmed down a bit,
I wonder if the real reason SOME jet guys are annoyed about
cheaper turbines being available, is the fact that they will
half the current resale value of their old engines.
''It's hard to sell a second hand OS for the price of a new ASP''

I doubt that's a real consideration. I have run JetCat, Jakadofsky, JetCentral and EvoJet turbines in my helicopters and jets. If I even sense that an engine will not perform, I will not risk my aircraft. At least for the near term until sufficient flight hours have been logged by a statistically significant number of pilots, HK will have to prove the airworthiness of its engines (just like every other manufacturer). Cheap parts don't hold up well under 600 degree Celsius heat. If the engines test out, I suspect people will begin using them, but not in huge numbers.

I do also think that low price may attract less serious users. But even that is a stretch. The difference in price is only about $1,500 I suspect and if that amount is enough to bring a guy in who is otherwise unqualified, then the turbine waiver process will stop him at the door. If not, nothing would have stopped him.

I believe every manufacturer should have his day in the market and let the market decide, provided the manufacturer is adhering to the same rules and regulations as the rest of the lot.

MK
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

I'm wondering what turbine is actually made in the US??

JetCat - Germany
EvoJet - Germany
Jet Central - Mexico
Jakodofsky - Austria
Pahl - Germany
King Tech - Taiwan
Extreme Jet
EXCELLENT!! Do you use their engines? I had never heard of them. Perhaps a turbine round-up is in the offing!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Seamus OLeprosy

Fair points MK but I did say some.
I have few bob spare and would like to try turbines at least once, and depending on what
pricing HK come out with and if It will fit the kit I identified.
This way I might be able to get in the air for circa $1500, still a lot
of money but at least affordable.

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

Now that thread has calmed down a bit,
I wonder if the real reason SOME jet guys are annoyed about
cheaper turbines being available, is the fact that they will
half the current resale value of their old engines.
''It's hard to sell a second hand OS for the price of a new ASP''

I doubt that's a real consideration. I have run JetCat, Jakadofsky, JetCentral and EvoJet turbines in my helicopters and jets. If I even sense that an engine will not perform, I will not risk my aircraft. At least for the near term until sufficient flight hours have been logged by a statistically significant number of pilots, HK will have to prove the airworthiness of its engines (just like every other manufacturer). Cheap parts don't hold up well under 600 degree Celsius heat. If the engines test out, I suspect people will begin using them, but not in huge numbers.

I do also think that low price may attract less serious users. But even that is a stretch. The difference in price is only about $1,500 I suspect and if that amount is enough to bring a guy in who is otherwise unqualified, then the turbine waiver process will stop him at the door. If not, nothing would have stopped him.

I believe every manufacturer should have his day in the market and let the market decide, provided the manufacturer is adhering to the same rules and regulations as the rest of the lot.

MK
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: rodman293
... I bought a F-86 jet from modellbau, and decided to convert it to an EDF, had over $1800. in the plane and whent and bought a top of the line ESC for it a 190amp 12-S for a 120mm fan for that only needed 160amp ESC andd figured that with that higher amperage ESC, I would be relatively safe from over heating and the unthinkable happened the ESC got so ot it exploded in midair ...
How high (or low) was the battery current you measured?
Did you extend the battery wires? If so, by how much, and did you compensate for the extra wire length i.e. install input capacitors, what capacity, how many?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• diy motor tips • Drive Calculator •
• diy motor group • Cumulus MFC •
• Get a life ... get a 3$ Wattmeter •

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like it or not, these Chinese turbines are coming, just like the gassers recently.

They will have problems for sure, but much more likely than not, they will sort them out eventually. Will I rush out and buy one? Certainly not. Give it a some time though and the possibility of a budget priced reliable power plant is very real. The smart thing to do would be to drop the elitist attitude. Stop bashing them which does no good & instead promote the hobby as a whole to the newcomers who can now afford turbines to operate them as safely as possible.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DELETED by author
Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
bb-q

Default RE: [Deleted]

This thread is hilarious, worrying and in some places libellous.

Gatorbait2, I hope you have a good lawyer if you mouth off like that about everyone you have a beef with! Do you still have all your own teeth or have a few been knocked out over the years?

This thread reads like "Team America joins RCU".

Seriously guys- get a grip. This myth that American products are high quality purely because they are made in the USA is laughable. Many are of course, but many aren't. I have experienced this first hand. This is the same in any country and no amount of radical, fervent or extreme patriotism will change that.

The truth is that hobbyking have been working on the software for over 12 months now because they have tried to make it truly idiot-proof (the info is on the forum if you care to read it), but all indications on here prove the theory that no matter how idiot- proof you make something, someone will invent a new kind of idiot!

And as for those who believe that they are somehow superior to those who don't fly turbines: are you serious? Do you genuinely believe that you are somehow better because you make more money? I've met millionaires that I wouldn't trust to sit on a toilet the right way round!

Yuo could accuse me of being a fan of Hobbyking as they have allowed me to pursue the hobby in much greater depth than I would have been able to otherwise. I'm not, however, a paid fanboy. If a product is bad I'll gladly and vocally say so. But to say some of the things that have been said on here before the thing has even been run smacks of fear and loathing of something that might take away the exclusivity that so many jet jocks seem to find great pleasure in. I'm told that jets require great skill because they're so fast. Really? My 1100w Funjet is faster than most sport jets!

The fact of the matter is that this engine is coming, it is the first in a range and it will (eventually) be the popular choice, much like Turnigy LiPos- remember when they were considered dodgy? remeber when DLE engines (or DL as they were known then) were going to fall into the crowds and kill people? That props were going to fly off as the engines were cheap Chinese junk? So many of those detractors now have a DLE engine in a model.

History has a habit of repeating itself and no amount of waving the Star Spangled Banner or shouting "America, f*ck yeah!" is going to change that.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
snir2001
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Sorry guys, this is unavoidable.. some years ago giant scale ARF´s with Chinese engines where unthinkable.

This is just the same.

Anyway, hope that this will bring more people to the hobby, specially the ones with lots of talent and not so much money.

Enrique

+1 for that...
Only time will tell...
I own a Jetcat and JJ (Chinese) and the JJ was pretty frustrating at the start, but now working just great...
So, if HK will take it serious, it might be the next "big thing" in our hobby.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
rodman293
Banned
My Feedback: (136)

did your airplane suvive ? and I bet it did not get completely destroyed like my did budy! you should be a llittle more comprehensive about other peoples misery, or do you work for HK too ? C Rod.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
snir2001

ORIGINAL: gatorbait2

Okay, where's the x-ray certificate for the wheel of this HK turbine? Oh, there isn't one.
The parts are not made in Europe, they want to hint that Jetcat made this turbine, but ask Jetcat, they have nothing to do with this.
And they showed a completely different turbine a few months ago, when they first showed pictures.
So if you want to believe the HK stories, that's fine, but know they simply don't tell the truth.
They talk all the time about having developed or flown this model or that, most of them, they never even flew, and most of them, they just bought from other companies, they don't develop them themselves.
And how do you know all that for FACT ?
(I think) no one here can say that he truly knows where the turbine \ parts are coming from....
Guys, we need to WAIT and see, than after a few working (or not...) turbines judge the quality.
Again, I do hope it will be a good running turbine because I want to make my fleet bigger and a low price good turbine will help
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
snir2001

ORIGINAL: rodman293

did your airplane suvive ? and I bet it did not get completely destroyed like my did budy! you should be a llittle more comprehensive about other peoples misery, or do you work for HK too ? C Rod.
Yes it "survive" and flying every other sunday.... but I can't compare it with my Jetcat
And no, I will NOT buy another JetJoe.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: topspin

As far as I can see the only people who will buy these motors are the ones who shouldn't even have one. And no liability when they get hurt.
I have to agree with this statement.....

Small 450 Helis and foamies are one thing.... a kero sucking turbine is another...

And how about Cessna new Skycatcher? They are manufactured in china (well, not sold by HK, I grant you that). They will manufacture jet parts now (for Cessna), and actually before manufacturing this turbine, they have been manufacturing turbine parts for an European model turbine manufacturer (unnamed).

Only time will tell how they will service them, and the price they set will determine how many they will sell.

This is a free market economy, as soon as there are enough HK turbines out there, a third party service place will pop up somewhere in the US.

Modellbau sells a reasonable intro jet for what, about $500? One day not too far away you will be able to purchase a $1,000 turbine for that jet. And I see that as a good thing.

Your statement "As fas as I can see only people who will buy these motors are the ones that shouldn't even have one" really says a lot about you, I am sorry! I mean, I woill not qualify the statement, but if this is what you really think, men, I feel sorry for ya'

Gerry

No need to waste energy feeling sorry for us Gerry, but thanks for the humanity...

Do you know "Toy Level" RC Helicopters were one of the hottest selling item for men and boys over the past 3 years.. in the WORLD... 98% of these helicopters end up broken and thrown away in the first week.. less than 1 % of people who start with a heli like this progress to the point of actually being able to fly one and then moving on to more advanced and CCP Helis.

20 Years ago, you couldn't get an RC Helicopter without spending many hundreds, if not thousands of dollars... this kept the "Dabblers" at bay and the % of those who had the dedication and aptitude to follow through with helis was much higher.

A $5000 price tag for a turbine will not stop a dedicated enthusiast with a passion who REALLYWANTS a turbine aircraft.. (I fly real jets for a living so i have zero interest in an RC turbine, but to each his own)

however a $500 turbine will definately attract a lot more customers and some of these will no doubt have great success with them.. but we all know there with be Without QUESTION, some people buying these cheaper turbines who can barely fly an ARF Foamie... to expect that not to happen is naive IMHO...

Go fly planes Gerry, don't feel sorry for others who don't share your opinion..
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
downunderdog

I agree with your post, and even the statement I've quoted below, but I've just got to throw this comment in....

92.4% of all statistics quoted on the internet are made up by someone and not based on any real data. I know this because I read it on the internet.

Do you know ''Toy Level'' RC Helicopters were one of the hottest selling item for men and boys over the past 3 years.. in the WORLD... 98% of these helicopters end up broken and thrown away in the first week.. less than 1 % of people who start with a heli like this progress to the point of actually being able to fly one and then moving on to more advanced and CCP Helis.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 AM
fishmark

Default RE: [Deleted]

Wow!what great publicity for HK. Isn't it amazing when somebody else starts to get a bigger slice of market share all the negativity that comes out bagging this person and that. I deal directly with warranty claims everyday and I do not work for HK. I would have to say I knock back at least 50% of all claims because people simply try and take the piss. Yes there are legitamate claims that do happen but with so many shonks trying to claim one must excersise extreme caution when processing these claims and hence that takes time.
I ask you all to stop and have a look at the bigger picture, think outside the square realise just what HK has done for the hobby In the race to Zero!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:41 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: topspin

As far as I can see the only people who will buy these motors are the ones who shouldn't even have one. And no liability when they get hurt.
I have to agree with this statement.....

Small 450 Helis and foamies are one thing.... a kero sucking turbine is another...

And how about Cessna new Skycatcher? They are manufactured in china (well, not sold by HK, I grant you that). They will manufacture jet parts now (for Cessna), and actually before manufacturing this turbine, they have been manufacturing turbine parts for an European model turbine manufacturer (unnamed).

Only time will tell how they will service them, and the price they set will determine how many they will sell.

This is a free market economy, as soon as there are enough HK turbines out there, a third party service place will pop up somewhere in the US.

Modellbau sells a reasonable intro jet for what, about $500? One day not too far away you will be able to purchase a $1,000 turbine for that jet. And I see that as a good thing.

Your statement ''As fas as I can see only people who will buy these motors are the ones that shouldn't even have one'' really says a lot about you, I am sorry! I mean, I woill not qualify the statement, but if this is what you really think, men, I feel sorry for ya'

Gerry

No need to waste energy feeling sorry for us Gerry, but thanks for the humanity...

Do you know ''Toy Level'' RC Helicopters were one of the hottest selling item for men and boys over the past 3 years.. in the WORLD... 98% of these helicopters end up broken and thrown away in the first week.. less than 1 % of people who start with a heli like this progress to the point of actually being able to fly one and then moving on to more advanced and CCP Helis.

20 Years ago, you couldn't get an RC Helicopter without spending many hundreds, if not thousands of dollars... this kept the ''Dabblers'' at bay and the % of those who had the dedication and aptitude to follow through with helis was much higher.

A $5000 price tag for a turbine will not stop a dedicated enthusiast with a passion who REALLY WANTS a turbine aircraft.. (I fly real jets for a living so i have zero interest in an RC turbine, but to each his own)

however a $500 turbine will definately attract a lot more customers and some of these will no doubt have great success with them.. but we all know there with be Without QUESTION, some people buying these cheaper turbines who can barely fly an ARF Foamie... to expect that not to happen is naive IMHO...

Go fly planes Gerry, don't feel sorry for others who don't share your opinion..

Also made up the price of the turbine? $500? Really? People will go from foamies to $1500-2000 jets? Really? In a park? Really? Well, this is a free country and one can think whatever one wants, one can make up numbers at wish.

My point is that there are many great modellers that do not have a jet that might take the plunge if the prices drop. I know a lot of experienced pilots that might. Remember, many of us do not fly jets not because of lack of funds, but because of the value we assign to things. Example I do not object spending in European vacation every year (we are leaving to the French Riviera and Barcelona the 21st. for the second time in less than one year) or buying a new Nikon body or a lens, or going to Oshkosh or Sun n fun. But we set a limit in the expense of buying a RC model (prop or jet), or (like in my case) we are really quite far from a place where we could fly a jet. So, it is a practical thing.

The $500 price for the TK turbine, where did it come from? I am 98.75% sure that that price might not be right.

Gerry

Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 AM
Bravo77

I have read most of the posts and I agree with some and I also disagree with some of the comments . I was involved with turbines from the beginning , and we had some rough days . No one has been killed so far and we were experementing with wood compressors to hand made turbines wheels and hand made cases .Today the technology has really advanced , and with todays CNC and CAD programs , one can buy a popular turbine and copy it part for part and make a great engine. I have seen many good popular turbines in the hands of inexperinced operators and they make a mess out of things and you know who gets the blame , Yes the turbine manufacturer. So it is not the turbine that will kill but the operators themselves who has no knowledge how these things work I have seen people trying to start an engine without the presence of a fire extenguisher and worse yet yelling and screaming that the thing does not work and they forgot to open the fuel valve, and many more stupid things.

What I would really like to see is that everyone buying a turbine be given a course on how to operate . I know some would say it is impossible but It can be done in the name of safety . Let us all for respect for our hobby work towards safety and if there is a bad product out there at least we have the tools that in case something could happen we can defend our selves..

Thanks everyone and I am not supporting any one just my general comment .

Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Squirrelboyblue

I have read most of the posts and I agree with some and I also disagree with some of the comments . I was involved with turbines from the beginning , and we had some rough days . No one has been killed so far and we were experementing with wood compressors to hand made turbines wheels and hand made cases .Today the technology has really advanced , and with todays CNC and CAD programs , one can buy a popular turbine and copy it part for part and make a great engine. I have seen many good popular turbines in the hands of inexperinced operators and they make a mess out of things and you know who gets the blame , Yes the turbine manufacturer. So it is not the turbine that will kill but the operators themselves who has no knowledge how these things work I have seen people trying to start an engine without the presence of a fire extenguisher and worse yet yelling and screaming that the thing does not work and they forgot to open the fuel valve, and many more stupid things.

What I would really like to see is that everyone buying a turbine be given a course on how to operate . I know some would say it is impossible but It can be done in the name of safety . Let us all for respect for our hobby work towards safety and if there is a bad product out there at least we have the tools that in case something could happen we can defend our selves..

Thanks everyone and I am not supporting any one just my general comment .

I am not a turbine owner, and I do not know if a CD with a video comes with a turbine or with some turbines.

If it does not, your idea is brilliant. Just a video showing the initial set up and start up. We use video instructions with a lot of technology, why not with a turbine?
Heck, why not with a radio system. Those manuals are very arid to read in the first place:-) It is easier to be shown something than to read about it.

Gerry
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM
rpm303
My Feedback: (18)

One of the problems with HK is the lack of proper instructions with there products. Little to none with most of there products.
I just recieved a package from them yesterday and the data logger had no instructions at all. Not to difficult to figure out but NO INSTRUCTIONS.
I beleive when bruce unpackaged the turbine, I didnt see any paperwork. Very difficult to have success without clear, concise and user freindly instructions.
I know there is big setup differences between my jetcat and jet central turbines, I can only imagine what HK turbine will be.

Bob
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Bravo77

Great Idea
Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Bravo77

Just my point . Education Education . The turbine governing body should force them to make and supply an instructional video with each sale.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Just my point . Education Education . The turbine governing body should force them to make and supply an instructional video with each sale.
Not being flippant but, in what language? English for Toronto, French for Quebec, Spanish for the US.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
bb-q

Turbine Governing Body?

Who?

I thought you lived in the Land Of The Free?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hobby King is what it is. Some have nothing good to say about them others rave about their products. They are still in business and even are expanding as you complain about them. I see the first ones having the normal teething problems but if the demand remains strong most likely they will eventually get it good enough to make it a viable alternative for some to get into jets. I think most of the crying comes from those who have paid the big bucks for brand name and fear the cheap motors are going to affect the value of all they have invested. It also may irritate some that with the advent of inexpensive turbines and airframes they loose their exclusive group status. Same thing happened when the cheap China gas motor frenzy happened. I don’t see any of the brand names run out of business they are still around. I think the same thing will happen with the turbines and just like the giant scale gassers there will be a whole new group willing to give turbines a try if the price is right. More interest equals more new product and increased volume can only make things less expensive. Its going to happen like it or not.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: Propworn

Hobby King is what it is. Some have nothing good to say about them others rave about their products. They are still in business and even are expanding as you complain about them. I see the first ones having the normal teething problems but if the demand remains strong most likely they will eventually get it good enough to make it a viable alternative for some to get into jets. I think most of the crying comes from those who have paid the big bucks for brand name and fear the cheap motors are going to affect the value of all they have invested. It also may irritate some that with the advent of inexpensive turbines and airframes they loose their exclusive group status. Same thing happened when the cheap China gas motor frenzy happened. I don’t see any of the brand names run out of business they are still around. I think the same thing will happen with the turbines and just like the giant scale gassers there will be a whole new group willing to give turbines a try if the price is right. More interest equals more new product and increased volume can only make things less expensive. Its going to happen like it or not.
Well said that man, on the nail!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It also may irritate some that with the advent of inexpensive turbines and airframes they loose their exclusive group status.
So true

More interest equals more new product and increased volume can only make things less expensive. Its going to happen like it or not.
Less expensive and in the other end better products. As Hobbyking will be the largest producer of turbines in the world they will have the best prices. No way the big brands are going to sell engines with the same spec for 3 times the price. They will be forced to wrap more features in the package such as the Jets munt VT80 with buildt in ECU etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.