Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thief in Sarasota, FL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thief in Sarasota, FL

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Good catch.

In Scotland the seller would likely have been guilty of RESET OF THEFT, The receiving and keeping of stolen goods knowing them to be stolen, with a design of feloniously retaining them from the real owner.

Is there a similar offence in Florida
There is a similar offense in the USA. It is called being an "accomplice" (partner in crime). However, there must be proof of guilt or reasonable suspicion of guilt. If the detectives took the money back and did not arrest the seller, as described in this case, it is because they had no reason to believe the seller was connected to the theft. The seller was most likely a victim himself. However, since the item was stolen, it had to be returned to the original owner is was taken from. The seller most likely gave the detectives all the information they needed to conclude the seller had no part of the theft, and probably gave the detectives enough information to find the person who sold the jet to this seller (which would most likely be the thief).

Last edited by Airplanes400; 08-23-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:42 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
Great to hear the RC community worked this out to a great conclusion! It makes me feel better about moving to the Sarasota area in 10 days!
Thomas we need to get together for some flying bro! I will be down at the scale qualifier event (Corvin Miller) in 2 months. Maybe we can hook up then. They got a great field down their but have turbines banned allot in the spring and fall with dry weather.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 AM
invertmast

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Thomas we need to get together for some flying bro! I will be down at the scale qualifier event (Corvin Miller) in 2 months. Maybe we can hook up then. They got a great field down their but have turbines banned allot in the spring and fall with dry weather.
Heck yea man, i agree! I may make a trip up your direction for some turbine flying anyways one weekend cause it seems the fields down near sarasota and northport dont really like turbines, atleast that is the feeling i get from the club websites
Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 AM
gunradd

Allot of it is they just don't understand turbines and think they will cause a fire and shut down the field. I went to a club meeting at my club and did things like start the engine and shut off my transmitter and watch the engine shut down. They had no clue it did that. So educating people will go a long way in peoples perception. But your more then welcome to fly with me at my field. We have a tight nit group of turbines guys up their.

Originally Posted by invertmast
Heck yea man, i agree! I may make a trip up your direction for some turbine flying anyways one weekend cause it seems the fields down near sarasota and northport dont really like turbines, atleast that is the feeling i get from the club websites
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Cape Coral Seahawks are VERY jet friendly, and that is why I am going to try to sell my home here in St. Pete, and move there. Love to get together with you, Kris again for a day of jet flying!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottkieper
I do...... you gotta be dumb ***** if you cant afford home owner insurance
Like school on the weekend....

No class
Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Cape Coral Seahawks are VERY jet friendly, and that is why I am going to try to sell my home here in St. Pete, and move there. Love to get together with you, Kris again for a day of jet flying!
Holy crap!! This IS an expensive hobby if you are willing to sell your home & move just to fly these toys!!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM
invertmast

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Dan,
i just checked out the club and it looks like a good one. The three of us will definitely have to get together and burn some jetA!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allot of it is they just don't understand turbines and think they will cause a fire and shut down the field. I went to a club meeting at my club and did things like start the engine and shut off my transmitter and watch the engine shut down. They had no clue it did that. So educating people will go a long way in peoples perception. But your more then welcome to fly with me at my field. We have a tight nit group of turbines guys up their.
Not to hijack the thread but I see you are in Spring Hill, where is your field? I'd like to come watch some jet action (I am a piston guy), I didn't think there were any up here on the hill, at least I haven't had the pleasure of running into any jet guys.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I fly out in two clubs in Orlando . I'll keep my eyes open
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Giant_Scale_Gasser
Not to hijack the thread but I see you are in Spring Hill, where is your field? I'd like to come watch some jet action (I am a piston guy), I didn't think there were any up here on the hill, at least I haven't had the pleasure of running into any jet guys.
Well I have to drive up to Ocala to fly. Cant fly turbines around here. The good part is Ocala is one of the nicest fields in Florida It takes about an hour from where we live to get their. You should come to the summers end event for all large scale aircraft. I will be their along with other jets and allot of other big aircraft.

End summer flyinn is Sept 14-15 Club website is http://www.ocalaflyingmodelclub.com/ Hope to see you thier. Make sure you introduce yourself. I will be the one with the F22.

Lopflyers nothing to look for lol. The plane was recovered. Read the previous page....
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I fly at RCACF in Apopka, though I don't fly turbines, or jets at all, they are allowed and a lot of people fly them. Check us out at RCACF.com
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM
straitnickel

Might you give your keyboard a break .
Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM
planedriver_2

Allot of it is they just don't understand turbines and think they will cause a fire and shut downs one the field. I went to a club meeting at my club and did things like start the engine and shut off my transmitter and watch the engine shut down. They had no clue it did that. So educating people will go a long way in peoples perception. But your more then welcome to fly with me at my field. We have a tight nit group of turbines guys up their.
Hey guys
You dont understand we had a serious jet crash that caused a huge fire, it burned A large area at the field, all that wasn't the big deal.
It was the gas wells and one of them was cooked, some 50 thousand dollars damage was caused. We answer to the county in our club and they wanted to be compensated for the damage. So when the persons involved didn't want to pay up it became a real problem for a long time. Long story short. WE DO UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN AND ONLY WHEN THE WEATHER IS VERY DRY AND ALL THE BEST FIRE OFFICIALS SAY THERE IS A FIRE DANGER THE CLUB FEELS IT SHOULD BE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED SO WE DON'T END UP IN LITIGATION AGAIN BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR DAMAGES. It is the agreement i think that the club and the county agreed to so we could remain on the property and still have jets fly when possible. We welcome any jet flyers normally, sorry you feel that we are uneducated about model jets but my opinion is we are highly educated on the matter.
I am not a jet owner but really love to see them fly, we miss them when the fire danger is high but. We have to protect our precious field. It really is a premier place to have a model aviation site. We will continue to protect it no matter how dumb we look to some.
The land with the space needed to have a great flying field is very hard to come by. I hope this doesn't keep anyone from flying jets at our field ( if weather permits). I just thought it should be said in case some of the many readers of this thread really don't understand what we have been thru first hand.

Sorry if anyone takes offense, let me apologize for our ignorance !
If Alden's jet is airworthy I will enjoy seeing him fly it this weekend.
Congrats on the recovery all.

Last edited by planedriver_2; 08-23-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
Holy crap!! This IS an expensive hobby if you are willing to sell your home & move just to fly these toys!!
I have out grown my local field and can't fly my larger jets there. I am tired of the 100+ mile drive one way.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:49 AM
RCFlyerDan

Thomas! CC Seahawks is an excellent jet field, and the Prez is a jet guy, and all of the Officers are extremely friendly, creating a good atmosphere for flying and having fun. In the spring, they host Gathering of the Giants, which also allow jets. Fun event. I also belong to Kris's field, and he and I have flown together up there together. What is nice there is if you are a member, they allow over night camping. It is also in beautiful horse country.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by planedriver_2
Hey guys
You dont understand we had a serious jet crash that caused a huge fire, it burned A large area at the field, all that wasn't the big deal.
It was the gas wells and one of them was cooked, some 50 thousand dollars damage was caused. We answer to the county in our club and they wanted to be compensated for the damage. So when the persons involved didn't want to pay up it became a real problem for a long time. Long story short. WE DO UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN AND ONLY WHEN THE WEATHER IS VERY DRY AND ALL THE BEST FIRE OFFICIALS SAY THERE IS A FIRE DANGER THE CLUB FEELS IT SHOULD BE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED SO WE DON'T END UP IN LITIGATION AGAIN BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR DAMAGES. It is the agreement i think that the club and the county agreed to so we could remain on the property and still have jets fly when possible. We welcome any jet flyers normally, sorry you feel that we are uneducated about model jets but my opinion is we are highly educated on the matter.
I am not a jet owner but really love to see them fly, we miss them when the fire danger is high but. We have to protect our precious field. It really is a premier place to have a model aviation site. We will continue to protect it no matter how dumb we look to some.
The land with the space needed to have a great flying field is very hard to come by. I hope this doesn't keep anyone from flying jets at our field ( if weather permits). I just thought it should be said in case some of the many readers of this thread really don't understand what we have been thru first hand.

Just curious why the AMA didn't pay anything? I know that home owners is first, if you have it. Renters don't have homeowners insurance, so AMA is supposed to pay? Was a claim filed with the AMA? I have belong to SRQ for a year, and wouldn't join again, but won't go into on here. Thus, by passing you all on the highway and drive to CC.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 08-24-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by planedriver_2
Hey guys

Let me make a correction here. The plane that caused the fire did not crash, let me repeat that again....THE PLANE DID NOT CRASH. Here is what happened, we had some idiot come in as a guest turbine flyer at the field with one of our turbine members. He flew his jet and when he landed he landed long and rolled into the tall dry grass, since he did not shut down his motor when he went into the grass it started a fire. This moron decided he did not want to pay for the damages he caused so we (the rest of the turbine flyers) had to pay the price for his ignorance. We have had turbines crash at the field before and none of them have caused fires or any problems whatsoever. Reason being is that we know if we are going down kill the engine as soon as possible. It really was an unfortunate incident that occurred but this is what we have to deal with in order to fly our jets during the rainy season.

Patrick
Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have to drive up to Ocala to fly. Cant fly turbines around here. The good part is Ocala is one of the nicest fields in Florida It takes about an hour from where we live to get their. You should come to the summers end event for all large scale aircraft. I will be their along with other jets and allot of other big aircraft.

End summer flyinn is Sept 14-15 Club website is http://www.ocalaflyingmodelclub.com/ Hope to see you thier. Make sure you introduce yourself. I will be the one with the F22.

Lopflyers nothing to look for lol. The plane was recovered. Read the previous page....

Thanks for the info. I will put it on my calendar. The field looks amazing in the photos. I haven't flown of anything but grass since I flew at the old WPMPA back in the 90s. It'll be nice to bring home "ALL" of my wheel pants for a change!

I noticed you said for all large scale aircraft, but on the website I don't see any actual details or requirements. I am going to assume it's the standard Giant Scale stuff (80" mono - 60" Bipe)?
I like forward to bringing a couple of my larger planes for the day. I'll look you up.

Thanks for the invite.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Wow, glad to see you guys recovered, man so the seller wasn't prosecuted? What did he say, who did he buy it from.

A local guy in our glub had his GP pits stolen, the theif was and idiot and sold everything to the hobby shop using his Drivers License to sell it. He got 4 years, as the total exceeded $2500.00
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

ok just read about the info being withheld. Damn.. lol I wish I would have been there to see when he got caught red handed, he may not have been the one who stole the jet but he sure sounds like he knew what was up and happily accepted stolen items.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well Im sure this will go over great, I had a few boats stolen out of our trailer in cocoa Fla. I also went to boat races and we had a hobby shop as well, so my 58" boat was well known. My story is this. A few years later, in almost perfect shape one of my boats showed up at GRAVE's hobby shop, GREAT right? A customer of both shops told me he saw it there, so I called. Bill himself, told me it was not my boat he knew the customer. So I drove over there and sure enough there was my boat. it was a 2,500.00 boat with a 1200.00 engine.I had known Bill for years. He had even bought boats from us.I told him it was in fact my boat.More importantly I now had a link to who stole all of our boats out of the trailer.Now the story changed to some guy dropped it off a few month's ago to get it fixed,and with all the paper work that must go into running GRAVE's hobby shop, he does not know who the boat was dropped off by. HMMMM. then to add more the broke part was a 20.00 flex cable.I called the sheriff It took me 3 months to get my boat back even with a cocoa police report and pictures of my boat.I'm posting this because its my thought that Bruce knows who dropped the 2500.00 boat off for a 20.00 repair,That's my story. you decide if its possible that your plane is in a storage bay somewhere.and has already been sold, but it was not a low down Pawn shop.That it was sold too.

Last edited by expresscraft; 09-12-2013 at 06:35 AM.