Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which F-86 is this?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which F-86 is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which F-86 is this?

I would pass on the entire plane at $300+. To me, that is $75 plane at MOST. The engine is not suitable for DF usage. The VX-DF is far better, but you need or at least should get a new center body for the fan, new pipe, etc etc. If you are dying to go glow DF, you can find a much better deal, otherwise get an EDF and enjoy the reliability.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I hate to break up the party but TCHIEF had the correct answer. This is the F86 kit that was originally built by House of Balsa and later Pauls Flying Stuff. Flew great with OS 25 and Kress RK20 fan. Lots of people tried larger engines and all it did was add weight, did not fly much better or faster and was a whole lot more difficult to set up with engine and fuel.

Best way to fly it today is with 90mm fan on 7 or 8 cell lipo.

Lots of identifiers in picutres that tell which airplane it is. Builder went to lot of work to do Navy training scheme but forgot to take the dihedral out of the stab.

Paul S
Pauls Flying Stuff
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul,
Thanks for correctly ID'ing the F96 as a HOB and/or one of yours (PFS).
I'm no too familar with the -86 but tried to respond to the OP on the engine mentioned- which wouldn't work as it has no carb for throttling. Perhaps you can steer him to a suitable EDF package that would fly the Sabre very well. All my EDF experience is with the smaller 60-70 mm fans and the BVMEVF which is too large for this model.
Has anyone tried electifying the Kress RK-20 fan unit?

Art ARRO
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just emailed the guy and told him I was no longer interested. If I have to spend upwards of $1000 to make it fly, I would rather have one with flaps and retracts. I guess I will spend some more time on my 50cc Prop driven planes and forgo the jet side of the hobby a while longer. I apreciate all your guys help and honest advice on the matter. I think it led me to to the correct decision. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Art ARRO

67Stang,
You're most welcome and glad to be of assistance, even though I was wrong on the F-86 kit maker.
I recommend checking the Jet Forums Classifieds for any prospects on an entry level jet, be it glow or EDF. There's a load of glow DF out there and some of it is selling for less than .50 cents on the dollarof the original price which is great for someone wanting to experience R/C jet powered flight. Keep in mind for being "buyer beware" ,and feel free to inquire here on any purchase prospects.
Glad to have saved you over $1000 to get this F-86 in your hands.

Art ARRO, Sr Jet Pilot
Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If I have to spend upwards of $1000 to make it fly, I would rather have one with flaps and retracts.
If you just want a ''jet with flaps & retracts '' there's lots of cheaper EDF jets available. Some are crap & not worth
the effort but some are good quality & fly great right out of the box.

Example: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

John.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 AM
John Tancock

That's a very true comment John,

Some of the EDF packages out there, could almost have a guaranteed success rate with no experimentation!
With racks of standard spares available, the odd spill is taken on the chin!

JT
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for something bigger with more power to handle my grass runway. I alreadt have an EFlite BAE Hawk That does not have the power to get up to speed on grass. I have only flown it twice because I hit a lucky bump. EDF has not impressed me. And the larger EDF's cost as much as a turbine it seems.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Art ARRO

The Eflite BAEHawk is a "marginal" example of an EDF jet due to poor inlet design and other factors. Their Habu has greater performance and I routinely fly my Habu I off grass fields, even off a dirt track leading to our field. The Habu II has flaps and retracts which should further improve the performance of this model. The Habu 32 is a big step up and almost mimics the flight performance of some turbine jets- however at a far greater cost. If you desire a scale jet then the Eflite F-4 would be a good choice from what I hear. I have not personally flown this jet but heard good comments on it. Again, the price is rather high when adding up the batteries/chargers, etc but this is usually a one-time expense.
EDF is generally more reliable and less "fussing" than glow DF jets. The learning curve is less with EDF as compared to glow DF or even turbine jets.
I recommend inquiring on various jets flown in your local area and seeing them fly to make a wise purchase decision. Also, attend a jet rally or jet event to glean first hand information on this.

Art ARRO