Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: BillJohnson

Went to HK UK tday and met and talked to Scot for about 40 mins very interesting it was too. Picked up my boat and excellent it is to
You should share more about it. Not many share anything substantial about HK. It would be nice to know how they handle things. Most that have had problems have really struggled getting anything done. I have been very fortunate as I have not had one issue, yet I don't order much from them. Maybe three orders a year.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
RacerPaul15
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

A few of us at our club have gone so far as to suggest that our LHS stocks up on Hobby King batteries, motors, esc's and such and start re-selling them. I would happily pay $25 for a $15 li-po to support the LHS and not wait for shipping. Our suggestions met with laughter, but the LHS is still claiming poverty.

We all know the LHS's are hurting with all the direct-from-China stuff...why not just ride the wave?

A very good idea! A few of my friends began buying HK components from me when I had extras and were happy to pay a few more dollars for shipping and not having to wait 2 to 4 weeks for shipping to the US!

Also the components such as Orange receivers, Satelite recievers, servos, esc's and such were already tested and if any were N G I took the burden of chucking them in the bin or sending back for credit.

In fact, I was encouraged to expand my efforts to stock and test parts for my mates and also have been offering them here in the classified section with some small success. Have a bit of a following of repeat buyers and all seem to be happy with the service!

I'm not taliking big time here... but some find it worthpaying a few dollars for the guarantee and availability of having components on hand in days not weeks or months.

I have had no problem returning items for credit, yes it takes weeks and weeks for the credit to show but in the long haul you get something back for the 6 dollar item that costed 2 dollars to send back to China.

LHS types would do well to at least stock Lipo's and motors. There are online websites that mark up HK components for resale in the US...PM me fora few links to USvendorsof HK components... And truth be told,besides my classifieds here on RCU, I have a website in progress to carry HK products underway. PM meif you are interested in the link as I don't want to be flamed for shameless promotion! LOL!

Some products such as the new Gyro Stabilizer that HK claims is created in house cannot be found elswhere and have some merit... where else can you get a 3 axis gyro stabilyzer for around $15 plus freight??? ( well freight... t could be a problem).

I agree with previous posts... Foamies, electronic components, lipos and assorted doo dads are a good value from HK, Large items and higher priced stuff... not so much.

Regards
Paul
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

A few dollars more for HK items here locally would be a decent deal for a lot of folks. You are correct, having the stuff on hand is huge for some folks.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
wallace.tharp

Re: Post 49. Way to go Jo, A+ and well said! I love my Turnigy Nanos and I got a great power supply from HK, but when it goes to "poo in a hand basket," you have the best advice I have ever seen on a blog about HK. wallace.tharp
Old 10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
RacerPaul15
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

A few dollars more for HK items here locally would be a decent deal for a lot of folks. You are correct, having the stuff on hand is huge for some folks.
Thanks Luchnia... glad you agree. PM me for the links to buy some and/or check out my classifieds.

Regards
Paul
Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: RacerPaul15

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

A few of us at our club have gone so far as to suggest that our LHS stocks up on Hobby King batteries, motors, esc's and such and start re-selling them. I would happily pay $25 for a $15 li-po to support the LHS and not wait for shipping. Our suggestions met with laughter, but the LHS is still claiming poverty.

We all know the LHS's are hurting with all the direct-from-China stuff...why not just ride the wave?

A very good idea! A few of my friends began buying HK components from me when I had extras and were happy to pay a few more dollars for shipping and not having to wait 2 to 4 weeks for shipping to the US!

Also the components such as Orange receivers, Satelite recievers, servos, esc's and such were already tested and if any were N G I took the burden of chucking them in the bin or sending back for credit.

In fact, I was encouraged to expand my efforts to stock and test parts for my mates and also have been offering them here in the classified section with some small success. Have a bit of a following of repeat buyers and all seem to be happy with the service!

I'm not taliking big time here... but some find it worth paying a few dollars for the guarantee and availability of having components on hand in days not weeks or months.

I have had no problem returning items for credit, yes it takes weeks and weeks for the credit to show but in the long haul you get something back for the 6 dollar item that costed 2 dollars to send back to China.

LHS types would do well to at least stock Lipo's and motors. There are online websites that mark up HK components for resale in the US... PM me for a few links to US vendors of HK components... And truth be told, besides my classifieds here on RCU, I have a website in progress to carry HK products underway. PM me if you are interested in the link as I don't want to be flamed for shameless promotion! LOL!

Some products such as the new Gyro Stabilizer that HK claims is created in house cannot be found elswhere and have some merit... where else can you get a 3 axis gyro stabilyzer for around $15 plus freight??? ( well freight... t could be a problem).

I agree with previous posts... Foamies, electronic components, lipos and assorted doo dads are a good value from HK, Large items and higher priced stuff... not so much.

Regards
Paul
Interesting, I have been told by our club's, MKD, "most knowledgable dude," to never trust the orange rcvrs. As stated by me prior, I love the Turnigh Nanos, 5s, 5000 to be exact. I use a 60L Hacker with them in series and a Castle 120 hv, esc. 22 " pop. Killer power and duration. Mix and match eh? Those batteries are about $78 ea. Tower Hobby's nearest lipo that I have found is about $168. Economic sobriety? Not knocking Tower here at all, I buy lots from them and love their customer service. wallace.tharp
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
wallace.tharp

Topspin, increadable!!!!! Anyone that wants to know how it really works at HK and petty much in China, this link is a "Must Read!!!!!" I have an ESM 80" P-39 that is a work of art. I ordered it from VQ Wardbirds. Its a marvel for the Price! $379 I believe it was. True, as you read through the build threads you know you will have to check everything and add a little epoxy here and there. Just emagine how much this would cost to build from scratch or even a kit. As wages and working conditions improve in China the old capitolist picture will come more into view. The cost of labor & fuel, (shipping) is already cutting into thier profits. As per this link, you can see they are really just learning the game. The Japanese took a few years to learn how to do manufactering & marketing after WWII. The Korean are just now becoming kings at the car bis. Just sayin. wallace.tharp
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: VictoriaP

Here are some pics of the damage to my Hawk. Repairable by someone with skill. I also waited over 7 months and am still waiting on China but the UK gave me a new fuz.

Marcs is your damage much worse than this
7 months?? Sounds like they are teaching you a lesson of the Buda, real name Siddhartha Gautama..... patience! Man! wallace.tharp
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

Marcs why dont you post pics of the damage to you fuz so that we can all judge for ourselves how bad it is

Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: marc s
Dom, I'm getting it sorted as a friend who travels to the HK depot is going to help me resolve - interesting that one click on the link you provided immediately says 'denied access' - gotta love em..........
marcs
UK warehouse? Thought it was collection only. Got my doubts they will resolve this over the counter. Also L-59s in UK warehouse out of stock. They don't come in very frequently and in low numbers. They tend to get snapped up fairly quick as they are a good model (based on the RCG reviews) if you get one undamaged. Still think starting a thread on the support forum is best. Worked for me.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29069
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

I am told that the HK Hawk, L59 and the other 90 mm fiberglass EDF Jets are soon to be discontinued and a new line introduced. I have found the counter collection service to be very good at the UK warehouse
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 PM
DominicM

I have found the counter collection service to be very good at the UK warehouse
Very good for what? Collection (which is about as simple as it gets)? Or them dealing with issues (e.g. missing or damaged parts)?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Topspin
May I suggest instead of attacking me you turn your ire on the instigator of the original post.
He is connected to an online store, therefore he must be responsible for forcing the LHS's
to close.

ORIGINAL: topspin

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

it has worked for me because I am patient and can read instructions
Seamus just PM's you on this comment.

marcs
PM replied to,
A little perplexed at to why you challenged me as you were not included in any of the quotes.
And in case any of the other contributors are offended I was not implying any of you can not read.
It is me who pedantically reads, term and conditions and email instructions.

I just want to know what you'll be spending your hundred bucks on this month, Dathi?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
RCUFan

I am told that the HK Hawk, L59 and the other 90 mm fiberglass EDF Jets are soon to be discontinued and a new line introduced. I have found the counter collection service to be very good at the UK warehouse
Denis, Bigplumbs, Vicpr, victoriap, bertieboner, now 'bill'

Do you have a financial interest in HK uk, you seem to promote them allot?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

ORIGINAL: DominicM

I have found the counter collection service to be very good at the UK warehouse
Very good for what? Collection (which is about as simple as it gets)? Or them dealing with issues (e.g. missing or damaged parts)?
Both. I went in to collect an item and took my damaged Hawk fuz from China (That I had been waiting on a replacement from China for over 7 months) and they replaced it for me. Not sure this is standard procedure but thy did it for me but then I have bought loads from them. When you collect a kit/item from the UK warehouse they offten open the box so that you can look at the item to ensure it is ok and not damaged. I have visited to collect about 6 times so far and each time the product has been fine so no need for any action from HK. I am sure however if the item was damaged they would give you another one on the spot assuming they had one.

Interesting also that when I visited yesturday my LHS Owner whos business sadly went to the wall 2 months ago was working in the warehouse for Hobby King
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCUFan

Denis, Bigplumbs, Vicpr, victoriap, bertieboner, now 'bill'

Do you have a financial interest in HK uk, you seem to promote them allot?
I have absolutly no financial interest in HK or any other Hobby based product what so ever. In fact it is my belief that those that do spoil these forumns.

I am a Chartered Surveyor running a firm of Architects, Engineers and Surveyors for a living. Radio control is simply my hobby and I have had mostly(Some not so good from China)very good service from HK. Now quite be chance their UK outlet is only 2 miles from my house.

I simply speak as I find

Bill
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
RCUFan

'Bill',

ORIGINAL: VicPr

ORIGINAL: skippy7399

Buy local, buy happy!
The Hobby King outlet in the UK employing local people is 2 miles from me so isn't that buying local
You must know this chap above here given he lives right near you. he seems to have dissappeared from posting on here though........

Anyway welcome to rc jets considering you have had all these jets and only joined today then welcome.

off to bed no its too late for me now
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCUFan

'Bill',

ORIGINAL: VicPr

ORIGINAL: skippy7399

Buy local, buy happy!
The Hobby King outlet in the UK employing local people is 2 miles from me so isn't that buying local
You must know this chap above here given he lives right near you. he seems to have dissappeared from posting on here though........

Anyway welcome to rc jets considering you have had all these jets and only joined today then welcome.

off to bed no its too late for me now
Yes I know him well he is a member of the club I fly at. Jolly nice chap. Been around RC several years in all sorts including jets.

Many thanks for the warm welcome but interesting it should be from a member with only 12 posts. It is as though you have been here rather more than you are letting on

Happy dreams

Bill
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
marc s

Bill or whatever your name is as I stated very early on the 'level' of damage is not relevant - its damaged and thats that - I am not spending my time fixing it, it was advertised without damage and thats how I want it - simple!

If I can get pics to upload (RCU not playing ball so far today) then I will just for those doubting dudes.

marcs
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM
DominicM

Both. I went in to collect an item and took my damaged Hawk fuz from China (That I had been waiting on a replacement from China for over 7 months) and they replaced it for me. Not sure this is standard procedure but thy did it for me but then I have bought loads from them. When you collect a kit/item from the UK warehouse they offten open the box so that you can look at the item to ensure it is ok and not damaged. I have visited to collect about 6 times so far and each time the product has been fine so no need for any action from HK. I am sure however if the item was damaged they would give you another one on the spot assuming they had one.

Interesting also that when I visited yesturday my LHS Owner whos business sadly went to the wall 2 months ago was working in the warehouse for Hobby King
Blimey...out of 7 pages we've finally got a useful post. Hurrah! Sounds like Marc's mate may get some help then.

Let us know how it goes Marc.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 PM
DominicM

If I can get pics to upload (RCU not playing ball so far today) then I will just for those doubting dudes.

marcs
Send them to me and I'll do it mate. These things can be difficult for you poor Mac users.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

ORIGINAL: DominicM

Blimey...out of 7 pages we've finally got a useful post. Hurrah! Sounds like Marc's mate may get some help then.

Let us know how it goes Marc.
He may indeed if of course they have one in stock. As I posted I think this jet will soon be discontinued so not sure when or if they will have more.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

Bill or whatever your name is as I stated very early on the 'level' of damage is not relevant - its damaged and thats that - I am not spending my time fixing it, it was advertised without damage and thats how I want it - simple!

marcs
I agree that it should not have been damaged at all but truth is that if they were to send you a new one from China itwould also probablyget damaged. So in my world repair would be the best option.

By the way the reason these get damaged is to do with the factory trying to reduce shipping weight and removing the outer shipping box and some of the packaging. Mad I know but that is what happens I am told.

Foam models that come in foam inners seem to reach the end user ok

Bill
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 AM
marc s

So in my world repair would be the best option
That's your world not mine, logistics, packaging, saving money on outer boxes etc is not my problem - I ordered goods in a undamaged condition, its how they are advertised, and that's how I expect them to arrive - period.

If the chances of damage are so high then maybe they should show them pre-damaged on the website then we won't be disappointed!

marcs
Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Sadly, what still seems to be lost in all of the Hobby King Hoopla, is that we as society are encouraging poor customer service if the price is low. But what happens when all of the LHS's are gone, nobody has inventory locally for the simple things like glue, or any of the other things that you don't think about that you might need immediately to go flying tomorrow? How long will it be before China produces a copy of a Porsche and sells it for only $5000? Will this same society buy those cars and make comments like "Yeah, I'm laid up in the hospital now with tubes running out of me because my copy car had an axel break, who knew plastic wouldn't work, but it's ok because it was only 1/20th the cost of a real porsche.

Part of the problem with the inexpensive HK stuff, is people are willing to say "yes, I know it won't last, or it might show up broken, but it was cheap" and they are happy to have 20 airplanes today instead of having 2 or 3 really nice ones that always work, that you can rely on, like it used to be. I've been in this hobby 30+ years and it amazes me each time I see people go flying with an entire fleet of small electric airplanes, sure, they look different, but how many really fly different enough to be worth dragging all of them out?

I just wanted to comment on the above paragraph.. You mention 2 or 3 really nice planes that always work? I have several Hobbyking planes that ALWAYS work.. this Spitfire has over 800 flights in the past two years and still flies exactly the same as day 1.. It cost me $69....

I have a hobbyking helicopter that cost $59 and has over 1000 flights.. zero problems.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRaI0t4n5Do

It flies just as nicely as my $700 Gaui from a Hobbyshop..

I have been in this hobby since 1978 and flew those "really nice planes" you are referring to.. I had them for over 20 years.. flying an average of 4-8 flights per week.. eventuallyi lost interest because I could only afford a few planes and they became boring.. also the mess of glow fuel just annoyed after 20 years....

3 years ago I came back to the hobby and now only fly electrics.. in the past 3 years I have flown more than 20 times the number of flights of the previous 31 yeas.. and it has been the most fun I have had in this hobby.. Charge 20 batteries and fly all day.. no mess no fuss..

I have over 25 different planes and over 15 helicopters, and they all fly Differently.. truly I enjoy each one for its unique character. I have even fitted them to different radios and set up different stick tension to give varying tactile feedback for each genre..

But also.. flying the planes is no challenge at all now after 34 years... I am not even aware of what I do with the sticks.. I like flying because I enjoy wathing the planes fly around me..

Like a mini air show.. Who wants to go to an airshow and watch the same plane flying all day.. variety is the spice of life..

I'll get off my soap box now... just my opinion and it works for me.. I love this hobby now more than I did as an excitable 14 year old firing up his first glow engine..

I don't know, I ordered once from HK and the 2 batteries I bought were both DOA. That is a 100% failure rate for me. Doesn't mean it is for everyone, or even half of their customers, but for this one customer it was enough to make me realize that, sure, the local hobby shop might cost more, in the case of these batteries the local hobby shop had the exact same turnigy batteries and they were about 40% more than I paid for the ones from HK with the shipping, but had I bought them from the LHS, I could have brought them back and gotten replacement ones. Sure, HK said they'd exchange them, but the return shipping was just a little MORE than the original purchase price meaning my "good deal" would have cost more than the LHS. (I was never given an option of sending a picture, this was a few years ago, they required me to return the batteries).

Thank you for a real world experience.. its pointless saying HK is crap without any real evidence.. sorry to hear you had a 100% failure rate with those batteries.. that is just incredibly bad luck... I have personally bought over 40 different Lipos from HK and only 1 was DOA.. my friend has bought more than 50 and all have been perfect..

I'm not stating that to be a HK basher, but to show that there comes a time when we need to think more long term about our hobby, think about the people locally who TRY to support our hobby. Nobody gets rich owning a hobby store, this thread is proof enough of that, modellers are some of the cheapest SOB's in the world.

Here is another perspective... I started back in this hobby with a Futaba 6EX, and an EDF F-18... This got me hooked.. I bought the HK Spitfire and then bought a Futaba 7C from a local hobbyshop..

This got me further hooked, I bought more models, more RX's from Hobby Shops, more Transmitters..

Basically thanks to Hobbyking.. the local hobby shops in Perth have gained over $6000 from me.. 2 x DX8s, 1 x DX7s, 2 x Futaba 8FGs, 2 x JR 11xs.. Yes, lots of radios.. but I am addicted to this hobby..

Without hobbyking I probably would not have bothered coming back to the hobby... Thanks to Hobbyking the Local Hobby Shops have make lots of extra sales..

Read any of the HK forums about helicopters.. a majority of people, including myself will upgrade critical parts on their HK Helis with genuine parts from a Hobbyshop..

I have 12 HK helicopters.. and that has required 12 receiveds.. 8 are genuine Futaba bought from hobby shops....

But when you go to buy your next airplane, your next battery, whatever, consider that when the LHS closes because they simply get no modeller support anymore, you won't even be able to buy glue to fix your airplane when it shows up damaged in the box, or after you crash it.

I can't agree with this from my own experience.. the HK aircraft all turned up perfectly.. as per my previous post. serveral planes bought at local hobby shops were damaged in the box...

It is just my opinion, so take it for what you will, but for any of you that work, that earn a paycheck, more importantly, that might own a business, how does it make you feel when you lose out on work to asia, or even take asia out of the equation, how do you feel when you've invested large in your job/company, and know you do quality work, but you lose out on jobs because of the backyard guy doing mediocre work, under the table, offering to do jobs for less than your cost. Stings doesn't it, well, when you buy stuff from HK, that is what you're doing to the LHS.
Hobbyking has encouraged me to spend over $6000 at local hobby shops.. without Hobbyking it would have never happened

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.