Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

In the Path of Sandy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

In the Path of Sandy

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:40 AM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the Path of Sandy

I know we have a lot of modeling friends that are in Sandy's path. I hope and pray for yours and your families safety.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: In the Path of Sandy

Thanks for the well wishes, and my prayers go out to the people who got hit hard.

In Pittsburgh... we were supposed to get hit hard. They were saying +60 mph winds, and "Blizard" conditions. Well.... the cold front stalled out, and fell apart... so by the time Sandy got to us... it was just a rain storm.

Last night... around 10:30 PM... it was snowing... but it was too warm to stick. Locally... there was almost no wind damage, and we picked up 2.5" rain. So... We were lucky.

In Latrobe (where my shop is) They are reporting some flooded streets... but no major damage. It just gives me a reason to stay home, until the creeks/streams drop back down.

Right now... it's not even raining... and the wind is minimal.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony Glad that the brunt of it by passed you. We were lucky where we are as well. All of the other harder hit areas are in my prayers.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

We had lots of wind and rain, no downed trees near us. There was one death due to a fallen tree on a home 30 miles south of ours. Worst for me was contracting food poisoning Monday night. We were just lucky we live so far inland. Ocean City lost its fishing pier and the famous "Fagers Island" lost their gazebo; both I'm sure will be rebuilt. Lots of water damage everywhere, one of my friends never had a sump pump installed in his home until today. They emptied a 16 gallon shop vac 52 times so far the last time we spoke yesterday morning.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a bunch of rain and heavy winds as it passed almost right over us. a lot of trees down and power is out still. that means no heat or water at my place. Im taking the family to a homewood suites until power is restored (est it could be up to a week). good news we are safe, the house survived, and the basement/workshop stayed
DRY (thanks to 2 sump pumps working overtime). Hope our neighbors closer to the shore come through this OK. Thanks to the guys who have emailed/called/texted over the past 48 hours. This is a great community!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
hooker53

Sean, Ron. Glad you held your own and faired well. So many didn't. You all up there hang in there.

Roy.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Roy, we just got very lucky. I was watching the trees out my bedroom window swaying in the wind and was wondering when they would break. Thankfully none of them did. I hope that everyone north of us is ok as the coast of NJ, and NY really took the brunt of it this time.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
hooker53

Ron. Don't know how it just jumped right over us. It's like a big band of the storm was not over us while it was going by but WV right above us got all the snow. I lost some big limbs from the wind but, they will go into my stove. Wink. I think this thing clearly was bigger and surly more distructive than the Perfect Storm that the movie was made after. Again hope that folks and the heads of state rises to the occation up there.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
SPLIT S

Came though ok here, lost some shingles and roof flashing. We didn't get the rain here that they thought we might but the sump ran occasionally throughout the night Monday. Workshop dry. Worst was the look on my wife's face as the flashing continued to beat on the side of the house before it came off. Keeping her calm was probably the worst part of the night here. I know some of my fellow friends from the club are still without power, Monday or so is what I'm hearing for some of them. Farview came though ok too, I know at least one of the members was there to check things. Porta John got blown around, who wants to volunteer to get that back in business?? )))

Dan
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
smchale

Dan,
Glad to hear the field is OK. I was up flying a few days a week or so and it was great. Hope to get out a few more times before winter really hits. Our current estimate to get power back is Tuesday by 11pm.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM
hooker53

Sean. You have Gens and stuff up there?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 PM
smchale

I do but only a 3.5kW one. Moved the family into a hotel on Wednesday. Most people have power so my case is low priority I guess. I only have to see footage of NY and NJ to gain perspective and realize we are fortunate and I can survive without power a few days.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM
hooker53

Good Sean. Glad you made it to the motel. I know it's difficult being away from home without any jets but you will make it. Wink. I know. I been watching some of that footage and it's unreal.