Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 PM
rcaircraftnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

As the title says I am looking for a few options for kits or even arf's that run a nitro ducted fan. I am not interested in the cost or complexity of a turban, nor am I interested in the electric fans AT ALL!!!!!! I want nitro ducted fans only. Anyone know of any kits still being marketed?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 PM
rcaircraftnut

Default RE: Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

I am looking for a winter project and it will be my first jet in over 20 years, thx.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i think i would start my search at yellow aircraft.

http://www.yellowaircraftplanes.com/

try that link.

don't really know what is stocked all the time, but appears that most of the old df kits are still available, even if ya gotta wait a bit.

mongo
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Jet Hangar Hobbies for sure is still selling the same kits that were used for DF power.

However, there was a time when it was hard to get the motors for those airframes and then EDF came along and now the performance is like night and day with the Turbax.

Otherwise you can still find the occasional BVM F86 come up for sale and plenty of BVM motors and fans out there. Heck I have a good BVM 0.91 I could sell you.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can find many kits here on rcu but Top Gun Aircrat, Byron kits, there are JD airrcraft, yellow aircraft, jet hangar hobbies, bvm, and AD aircraft. The kits are still out there just gotta dig some. Do you have a particular size, type or manufacturer your loking for?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 PM
rcaircraftnut

Looking for something in the 60-90 size, preferably an F4 Phantom. I just like the simplicity of nitro and I dont care for electric as I have seen many lipo fires as well as if the batteries are improperly maintained during storage they fail. Nitro can be stored almost indefinatly without issues as long as you oil it enery so often.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM
rcaircraftnut

Just found out the OS .91 VR DF is out of production or discontinued. Ratz. Looks like I may have to buy everything for this project used except the airframe lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just bought at our latest auction a bvm setup including fan and motor for $100. there are quite a few deals still out there. the biggest issue may be the fuel requirements. i currently have a jhh panther, byron f15, AD rafael ready to go in DF setup.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 AM
rcaircraftnut

I also already have a Jett FIRE 50 with pipe that was supposedly fan ported to turn 20,000+ on the ground. I have not ran it yet but will soon as it is getting mounted to one of my 32" Scremin Demon wings. If it would work I would not be opposed to a 40 size model on a fan. But I like them bigger so I can see em better lol.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM
rcaircraftnut

Ok I looked at the EDF systems for these larger birds and I have to say I am impressed. Some of them even sound turbine like. I may have to give this more thought lol. I still dont like the idea of batteries that can self combust, but it seems like the glow D/F setups are hard to come by.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

We still stock and sell all of our kits, but are currently out of stock on the Starfire and F-16. You can find used or second hand DF setups all day long. Nobody makes off-the-shelf fuel anymore, though, so you'd have to carefully blend your own if you don't want to blow up your engine.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

To rcaircraftnut:

Why woudlnt' you want to do EDF?? Sure... the lipos can pop... but they are getting more stable as years go by... AND... the power output is great !!! Also... have you ever watched a typical "Glow" DF fly? THEY SUCK !!!! I allways remembered watching the IC-DF guys flying... and laughing about it because most of the time... they almost couldn't get off the runway. And the ones that did... took +300' to do it. Besides... they sound horid. (and very loud)

As you already found out... the high power, larger EDF's sound great. They aren't very loud, and sound more like a turbine.

I'm really not trying to sound like a Jack-off... but there is a reason why IC-DF has basically died.

As far as Shaun's comment about fuel... I don't know if there was some special blend of fuel... but there are still high nitro fuels available for the boat guys. (+60%)

As a final FYI... there is a bunch of new fan stuff over on RCG. I know there are a bunch of fans, Pipes, and 2 new 91 OS engines. But, in my book... he's asking too much for the new engines.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 AM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

For fuel you do not want high nitro. You will want to use 5% nitro with at least 22% oil content and most of that oil should be castor. You can use 10% nitro store bought fuel, but you will want to know the oil content and then add additional oil to bring the oil content up. DO not use all synthetic oil. Add castor in the appropriate amount, in order to achieve that 22% oil content by volume.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I think you can still get Wildcat Jet A fuel for DF use.............
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jedijingle

For fuel you do not want high nitro. You will want to use 5% nitro with at least 22% oil content and most of that oil should be castor. You can use 10% nitro store bought fuel, but you will want to know the oil content and then add additional oil to bring the oil content up. DO not use all synthetic oil. Add castor in the appropriate amount, in order to achieve that 22% oil content by volume.

OK.... I wasn't sure on the fuel thing, since I never played with the IC-DF's. But... knowing boats, cars, and other high RPM glow situations... I assumed it was high nitro. But adding cater oil is easy. Klotz or 927 is available at any off-road shop.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM
TED ANTON
My Feedback: (7)

JUST MY TWO CENTS
I THINK OPERATING A TURBINE IS MUCH EASIER THAN RUNNING A DUCTED FAN
I DONT MISS THE STARTING, TUNING, VIBRATION , NOISE ETC. ETC.
EDF SEEMS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU WANT TO GO THAT ROUTE

GOOD LUCK

TED
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

yes there are fans like me. however i had a scorpion jet from JHH years back. the hole setup. os .91, bvm pipe,. ramtec fan, inflight mixture control, robart retracts. the jet kit was alot of work,foam sheeted wings and fiberglass fuse still left me with over 2 months steady work and 2100.00 to build. and that was 15 years ago. the os is the only motor i would use and they suck fuel from two duel 16 oz saddle tanks that fit around the fan unit, like you wouldn't believe. i spent hours painting it with k&b super poxy paint and an airbrush. it flew about 120-140 mph, but it wasn't worth all the work. you never see them anymore, but they were cool in there day. there is to much money involved when you can get an electric that fast for around 800.00 and a lot less work and fuel. think twice thats all i'm saying. if they were any good people would still have them. for the cost, fuel, work, and the fact that most models go down like a rock with no power, you risking alot.there is so much out there today that people don't want the headache of having one. that's just my .02 plus......... so good luck...........RON
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

GO TO THE FORUMS ON THIS UNIVERSE LOTS OF THINGS THERE ABOUT DF
Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

On the bay
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

The other point about EDF is you will likely get more flights for a given amount of maintenance as compared to ICDF. No deadsticks and less mess. I mean no mess.
Energy density is not quite as high as a liquid fuel but just means shorter flights. One disadvantage of EDF is the AUW on landing is higher than ICDF. So arguably a little harder with EDF.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
asmund

EDF sounds like a vacuum cleaner
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijingle

5% nitro with 20% oil was my magic number. Wildcat was awesome, if its still around.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to prey on ICDF's on RCU marketplace. I got a lot of really good deals cheap. Flew the hell out of some models.

I.e., my first DF was a BVM F-16 fully loaded with BVM equipment for $800. It flew awesome and looked even better. This was in 2004. I later got a BVM Agressor II with all the works for $600.

Again, there are always good deals with lots of fun potential out there. My recommendation, Viofans like BVM Engines. Dynamax and Ramtec like OS 91's wth Tom Cook or Weston mini pipes. Keep these combos together, don't mix and match. Avoid Rossi, K&B, Picco.......they never ran good on anything.

David
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As for me I think an ICDF at a jet rally would get my pilots choice vote. I would love to see one again.

We have a local field that looks like it is going to ban LiPo and already banned turbines, you could be the only jet guy there!!

BVM Sport Shark with KBV 72!! That would be awesome.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I remember some of the Byron units running 91's and they were a bit lumpy but flew good and did suck the fuel! A club member who built and flew them is considering an electric conversion for the Byron fan for some of his planes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.