Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum GPS Telemetry Got a Question.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum GPS Telemetry Got a Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum GPS Telemetry Got a Question.

Installed a Spektrum GPS unit in my BD-5 several weeks ago to use with my DX-18 and love it. It records top speed, gives a current speed readout, altitude and heading along with Latitude and Longitude.

As long as you leave the TX on after landing you can turn the RX in the plane off and the TX will still display all the last recorded telemetry. My question is the use of the Lat & Longitude. When i input those numbers into google maps or google earth my location winds up some where in China. Heck it even put me in Kashmir once. Guys that is a lOOOOOOOOONG way from eastern North Carolina. I dont think is the GPS but the way i might be entering the numbers or the way the programs interpret my input.

Need some advice about what I am doing incorrectly. I had a plane go down deep into some woods a few months back and it was almost 2 weeks later before my flying bud happened on it. I was looking at having the last recorded Lat and Long as a great feature to have to help in recovering a plane if that happens again. But I dang sure ain't gonna go to Kashmir to look for one.

thanks!!!!
mike
Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Spektrum GPS Telemetry Got a Question.

Write it here exactly as it shows on your box. It could be in tenths or it could be in degrees/min/secs etc.
For example Grifton NC should read

3522/7833 or N3522.2 W07833.15 or 35d22m12sN 78d33m9sW or there about.
Sometimes the lead-in "0" in the Longitude is left off such as W78 instead of W078.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

?
Originally Posted by zonker123
Installed a Spektrum GPS unit in my BD-5 several weeks ago to use with my DX-18 and love it. It records top speed, gives a current speed readout, altitude and heading along with Latitude and Longitude.

As long as you leave the TX on after landing you can turn the RX in the plane off and the TX will still display all the last recorded telemetry. My question is the use of the Lat & Longitude. When i input those numbers into google maps or google earth my location winds up some where in China. Heck it even put me in Kashmir once. Guys that is a lOOOOOOOOONG way from eastern North Carolina. I dont think is the GPS but the way i might be entering the numbers or the way the programs interpret my input.

Need some advice about what I am doing incorrectly. I had a plane go down deep into some woods a few months back and it was almost 2 weeks later before my flying bud happened on it. I was looking at having the last recorded Lat and Long as a great feature to have to help in recovering a plane if that happens again. But I dang sure ain't gonna go to Kashmir to look for one.

thanks!!!!
mike
Will the gps unit record speed? i just read on another post it wont. i have a DX8 and i want air speed. can someone confirm that this unit does this? I dont want to spend $100 on this thing if it doesnt give me what i want. Thanks for any help on this matter
Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have to convert your Gps numbers to a new read out. I had this trouble on my. Futaba GPS. I'm sure someone here can explain it better than me. I had a buddy that made a spread sheet to convert the GPS numbers to work with google earth format.