Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Conditions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Conditions

So how many of us jet pilots take advantage of conditions in their transmitters? I'm thinking about the new Futaba 14SG as an upgrade from my 10c, but a little dismayed that conditions are not available on the airplane side, only on the glider and heli. I have never used them myself, never really had a reason to but see where they could be an advantage with the more complicated airframes. I.e. setting up landing modes and the like.

I fly both JR and Futaba so please don't let this degrade into a one vs. the other, not at all what I am interested in, just some opinions from more experienced pilots than myself. I have a new YA F15 that I hope to get started on later next year and am considering upgrading some of my gear to better accomodate my long term jet goals, as well as WWII giant prop fighters. I fly the 9303 as well as my 10C now, the new 14SG looks really nice, the price point being very reasonable, but get the feeling somewhere, somehow I may be missing out. A 18MZ at $3000 just isn't an option for me. Conditions, or the lack thereof, is the only thing holding me back.

So what say you? Conditions important, or more of a luxury?

Thanks much,
Dan
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Conditions

with a jet you fly in one condition

with a heli youfly in many ( hold/ normal/ idle up 1, 2 )

you don't need conditions in a jet ...maybe dual rates but not conditions

my 2c
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Like many others, I use different conditions on every model - no difference between jet, piston of heli.
Been doing it ever since my old 9Z days.
That way you can tweak flying trim, control response and settings at the flick of a switch.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Miltiadis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use conditions (futaba 14mz) in both of my jets. I found it very helpful (especially for the maiden) to use separate trims in every condition, in that way i don't have any problems with the behavior of the jet when the flaps deploy on take off and landing. Also i don't use any flaps to elevator mixing.

You can find a used MZ14 for a pretty good price and you will solve all your problems

Miltiadis
Old 12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
ViperOneNL

Hi,

I use conditions on my jet so I can have different trims or mixers active depending on flightmode.

Can you do without, probably.

Would I ever buy a TX without conditions, Probably not. .

Cheers,

Mick
Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 PM
SPLIT S

So far the responses are what I expected, and what I feel in my gut myself. Just don't understand why Futaba would introduce a radio, a 14 channel no less, without something as basic as conditions on the airplane mode. I've sent them an e-mail today asking just that, hope to get some sort of response.

On another note, it is way cool to get responses back from the UK, Netherlands, Cyprus and Greece. We truly are a global brotherhood. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:42 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Dan,

I would say that not having conditions is a major setback for that radio.

Looking at it, I would say that the 14SG is a continuation of the 9C - 10C programming modes. The 9C was a great radio in its time, but its programming style was severely limited by today's standard. Why they continued it into the 10C, and now apparently, the 14SG, is beyond me.

However, the solution is a fairly simple and straight-forward one. Spend the extra $100 and get a 12FG. Its actually a 14 channel radio and its programming is *much* more powerful than the 14SG. It has conditions, the ability to assign virtually any channel to any function and to any switch, stick, or trim lever, 6 digital trims, lots of switches and sliders, etc. The 12FG is a great radio and appears to be a *much* better option than the 14SG.

Bob
Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

All,

what about the futaba 12Z? I have one and it has conditions.

Scott
Old 12-16-2012, 04:39 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: csandt051196

All,

what about the futaba 12Z? I have one and it has conditions.

Scott
Yes, conditions or flight modes are a must for me. I didn't realize that the new 14sg doesn't have them...makes it pretty much worthless in my book. If you are not concerned about telemetry, you can grab a 12z from Tower right now for $825 ! The 12z will do just about anything imaginable. It's on for $949- $125 tower discount and free shipping. Two months ago it was a $1500 radio. Oh and they're also giving a second receiver (7channel) free!

Mike

Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

conditions allow for some very nice setup with a plane or jet, just my opinion I would get a 14mz. Plenty of people selling them to go with the 18mz
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

conditions allow for some very nice setup with a plane or jet, just my opinion I would get a 14mz. Plenty of people selling them to go with the 18mz
+1

Shaz
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

with a jet you fly in one condition

with a heli youfly in many ( hold/ normal/ idle up 1, 2 )

you don't need conditions in a jet ...maybe dual rates but not conditions

George,

I have seen you post many things that have made me scratch
my head,but this takes the cake. One condition?!?

Danno will get my 14MZ when I get a new 18MZ,and he will
have the benefit of dedicated trim for each condition,and the
enhanced programming capability commensurate with the level
of complexity of the airplanes he's flying.

Erik

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

The 14sg does not have conditions in the airplane mode it is quite easy to remap. the channel output in the glider menu. I just helped a friend do this on his 8fg. The 14sg is a very nice though edpecially at its price point.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Dan,

I would say that not having conditions is a major setback for that radio.

Looking at it, I would say that the 14SG is a continuation of the 9C - 10C programming modes. The 9C was a great radio in its time, but its programming style was severely limited by today's standard. Why they continued it into the 10C, and now apparently, the 14SG, is beyond me.

However, the solution is a fairly simple and straight-forward one. Spend the extra $100 and get a 12FG. Its actually a 14 channel radio and its programming is *much* more powerful than the 14SG. It has conditions, the ability to assign virtually any channel to any function and to any switch, stick, or trim lever, 6 digital trims, lots of switches and sliders, etc. The 12FG is a great radio and appears to be a *much* better option than the 14SG.

Bob
Bob,
Looks like the 12FG has been discontinued as well as the 12 and 14mz's. At least that's what's on Towers website.

Marty
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Jeremy300

Can someone please explain the use of conditions for a jet setup. I fly everything....jets, helis, and gliders. I use conditions for helis and gliders because the setups between conditions are so drastic in change. With my jets, I simply use a dual rate for elevator (large throw for landing and takeoff, less throw for flight) and my trims. Are your jets seriously changing that much trim between setups that you need the conditions to keep track of trims and throws? How do your conditions know the prevailing winds for the day? Depending on winds, you are going to be retrimming anyway for approaches, cross winds, etc.

Please explain why you think it is necessary for a jet to have conditions.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Jeremy300 conditions allows you to have seperate control trims for each flight condition so if your model roll slightly with the flaps deployed you can independently trim the model reducing pilot workload.
There are many other features it adds too.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Jeremy300

ORIGINAL: Bob_B

Jeremy300 conditions allows you to have seperate control trims for each flight condition so if your model roll slightly with the flaps deployed you can independently trim the model reducing pilot workload.
There are many other features it adds too.
I understand that. In your example, I would mechanically "fix" my aircraft after test flying to ensure roll does not occur. I rarely use subtrims or radio functions to fix an improper flying airplane. Obviously, not every type of flight problem can be solved, like yaw coupling, without a major redesign of the airframe but a simple mix would take care of that. But in the jet world, I still do not see a need for conditions like we have in soaring and helis.

Convince me!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM
luv2flyrc

Hi Jeremy,

I don't think you necessarily need them but, many of us prefer them.

I usually run 3. Takeoff - which gives me more elevator, reduced steering, half flap, increased gyro gain. Normal- which reduces elevator, reduces gyro gain, maybe reduces aileron depending on the plane and gives full nose wheel steering for taxiing . Landing,- which again increases gain, reduces steering, drops full flaps, increases elevator. Of course all conditions are trimmed independantly so, no need to make numerous flights to get a flap elevator mix right.

I like to be able to change all that stuff on 1 switch.

Mike

Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For a long time, despite being quite capable at programming my 9Z and 14MZ, I did not find a need for conditions, even when I started flying jets.

I use them on most of my setups today, with one simplifying idea: I link the conditions (I typically use 3 conditions) to my flap switch. So I have one condition for landing (full flaps), one condition for takeoff (partial/mid flap) and one condition for regular flight (flaps up). This means I get all the power of conditions, and don't have to think about a separate switch .. it happens rather naturally.

The use of conditions started for me when I was getting a Yellow Aircraft F-15 dialed in after several flights. I found that the ailerons were quite crisp and effective during normal flight, but rather mushy on approach and landing. I thought about adding taileron mix to the model (I am told the full scale F-15C has this too), but I wanted it only on approach and landing. So I set up three conditions and linked them to the the flap switch so I could vary the mix percentage of taileron from 0% with flaps up, about 20% with mid-flaps, and 40% with full flap. This really helped the plane feel more crisp and controllable on final and kept a similar "feel" to the roll rate in different flight regimes. Yes, this can be done without conditions, but it is *much* easier when using conditions.

Since then I have been setting up most of my jets this way and find some mixes that vary with conditions, some trims, etc. It may not be the most leverage one can get from conditions, but it is very simple and works very well for me.

I don't know JR programming very well but I believe it can do the identical setup with its conditions.

Dave McQ

edit for typo
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Bob,
Looks like the 12FG has been discontinued as well as the 12 and 14mz's. At least that's what's on Towers website.

Marty
Hummm, interesting. That would be a real shame if its true. I don't know how old it is, but I found this on the Futaba website:

Radio System FAQ
Is the 14MZ/12Z/12FG being discontinued? I am in the process of acquiring two 14 MZ transmitters on 72 MHz and have been told by some hobby shops that this radio and the 12Z is soon to be discontinued, is this true?

None of these transmitters is being discontinued, you are just seeing the lack of availability on 72Mhz.

One good thing about the 12FG, 12Z and the 14MZ's is that they are modular. While they may not be available on 72 MHz, you can purchase the 72 MHz module from Futaba Services, and an R5114DPS receiver from your local hobby store, or simply buy the module and use your current 72 MHz receivers.

With more and more people going to 2.4 GHz, the need for stock of 72 MHz has drastically reduced. But, the flexibility of going from 2.4 GHz to 72 MHz is one of the advantages of these two radios not being "dedicated 2.4Ghz".
Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello

If the 12 FG is being discontinued, Futaba has to put in the market a new one to fill the gap between 14SG and 18MZ

14SG is a good option for the price but far more limited than the 12FG. I own one and do really prefer it to the 14MZ - it as ALL functional features of the 14MZ.

I also use at least 2 conditions.

Merry Christmas

Nuno
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Bob,

Marty
Hummm, interesting. That would be a real shame if its true. I don't know how old it is, but I found this on the Futaba website:

Radio System FAQ
Is the 14MZ/12Z/12FG being discontinued? I am in the process of acquiring two 14 MZ transmitters on 72 MHz and have been told by some hobby shops that this radio and the 12Z is soon to be discontinued, is this true?

None of these transmitters is being discontinued, you are just seeing the lack of availability on 72Mhz.

One good thing about the 12FG, 12Z and the 14MZ's is that they are modular. While they may not be available on 72 MHz, you can purchase the 72 MHz module from Futaba Services, and an R5114DPS receiver from your local hobby store, or simply buy the module and use your current 72 MHz receivers.

With more and more people going to 2.4 GHz, the need for stock of 72 MHz has drastically reduced. But, the flexibility of going from 2.4 GHz to 72 MHz is one of the advantages of these two radios not being "dedicated 2.4Ghz".
That's old Bob, its been up on Futaba's site for years, it refers to the switch from 72mgh to 2.4gig.

It does appear that 12fg, 12Z and 14mz are all discontinued as they are all non-telemetry radios. This leaves a huge gap in the Futaba lineup between 14sg and 18mz. It's too bad because with the exception of the telemtry, these are far superior radio's to the 14sg. I couldn't pass up a good deal so, I snagged a 12Z for $825 from Tower to run a Weatronic module in. This is probably the last of the high end "modular" radios.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 AM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

That's old Bob, its been up on Futaba's site for years, it refers to the switch from 72mgh to 2.4gig.

It does appear that 12fg, 12Z and 14mz are all discontinued as they are all non-telemetry radios. This leaves a huge gap in the Futaba lineup between 14sg and 18mz. It's too bad because with the exception of the telemtry, these are far superior radio's to the 14sg. I couldn't pass up a good deal so, I snagged a 12Z for $825 from Tower to run a Weatronic module in. This is probably the last of the high end ''modular'' radios.

The 8FG (which doesn't have conditions in normal mode either) isn't being listed as discontinued and its a non-telemetry radio too, isn't it?

Bob