Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Telemetry for turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Telemetry for turbine

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Telemetry for turbine

Is there a futaba compatible telemetry box that's capable of notifying you of an inflight turbine failure?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Telemetry for turbine

your bowels will notify you of that for free.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jetster81

your bowels will notify you of that for free.

Yep... what he said.

OK... serious though... maybe I'm not reading your question right.... but...

1) Turbines aren't a quiet engine... so you know when they shut off.

2) If you do have a flame out... you can't re-start... and you aren't going to be looking at a screen to see what happened.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that is a fair question. I know I can't hear my Ultra Flash with Cheetah very well after a hard pull to the top of a vertical followed by going to idle. Also, sometimes you can't hear it at all if other turbines are running.

You wouldn't need to look at the screen either, could use audible tone or voice notification or even shaker on the 18. But then I shake pretty good already when I get a flame out.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last weekend my friend lost his aviation design Falcon 7x to a flame out.  He was flying in an international jet meeting in India and there was music being played in the background.  When the engine flamed out, he nor anyone else realised it.  When they did, it was a bit too late.  I think some physical and audible indication for a turbine flameout will be a good idea.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM
STAN-CAUSSEL

Such an indicator of turbine shut-off is hightly recommended on multi-engine airplane. Because in case of one turbine shut-off in flight you CAN NOT hear the difference of sound and in case of hight velocity of your model you can not see an aerodynamic drift of the plane.
BUT ... if you try to slow the speed for aerobatic figure or in case of go-aroud after missed approch you are entering into a "death area" because of lows speed + hight disymetrical thrust.
A friend of mine loose 2 muti-engines airplane like that.
I think possible to survey the exhaust tube temp with a sensor on the OUTSIDE of the trust exhaust tube. And that on the 2 engines. You just have to program an alert if temp decrease under a low limit significant of an engine flame out.
Stan
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've witness a couple of cases when turbines have flameout and the pilots haven't notice it until it was too late. Actually, I lost a Comp-Arf Tucano because of that. Not hearing it could be caused by music being played, other jets flying at the same time, strong wind and flying against it, etc....

I would love to have this option in my Futaba 18MZ. Now that telemetry is working, it shouldn't be so difficult for the different manufactures to come with something.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I would think it would be easy enough for Futaba to use their temp sensor but change the range to read a higher temp range. Probably nothing more than a different resistor value internally.

Marty
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks for all the replies. I have personally never lost an aircraft due to a flameout, but have a buddy that lost a new Bandit. He was turning base to final, fully configured (dirty), when she fell out of the sky. It was a horrible time/place to loose an engine, & no one heard it or seen any indication. As we all know, with a good sport jet that has lots of wing area & clean, you'll have the odds stacked on your side, but with a scale, heavy (soon after T/O) bird, with a higher wing loading, you need to know ASAP, & get it pointed to the runway with the nose down! I hadn't even thought of the usefulness to twins
What I take from these replies, is if no one has heard of it, it does not yet exist[:@]
I remember a recent thread on new products wanted, maybe we should all post on there & see if that guy can make it happen
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont understand why futaba is dragging feet on this. The technology has been around for awhile. Thats the hole point to the bus system
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Temperature alarm would be a bit pointless in a flame out, I would suggest an RPM alarm would be more beneficial. One way of doing it would be via video link, if you have a live feed with the camera facing a data terminal in the jet with the RPM and EGT temps running then this would be handy and cheaper than setting up or creating a telemetry device for turbines
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

Temperature alarm would be a bit pointless in a flame out, I would suggest an RPM alarm would be more beneficial. One way of doing it would be via video link, if you have a live feed with the camera facing a data terminal in the jet with the RPM and EGT temps running then this would be handy and cheaper than setting up or creating a telemetry device for turbines
Why would a temp alert be pointless? A flame out while moving will drop temp below lowest normal running temps within a second or two at the max.

Marty
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
BlueBus320

I'm surprised jetcat or one of the other turbine manufacturers hasn't come out with it yet. All the info is already available in the ecu. I bet it's just a software update & figuring out how to intergrate the info & transmit it to your telemetry system. You can probably even be alerted when parameters begin to go out of wack, moments before the turbine shuts (ie, weakening battery, air bubbles in fuel line etc), & as already stated, "no need to look down" audible alert, or a TX shaker
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM
FenderBean

well I do have a recent jet mag that has something you can plug into jet cat that sends all the data to the radio. Its not made by futaba or any of the radio makers. Works with all radios that support telemetry. I totally forgot about this it looks like its made by jetcraft for their turbines and probably jetcat since they have the same design. It plugs in between the ECU and IO-expander. It works with futaba/multiplex and it allows u to adjust turbine setting via your radio[X(] it says here the alert thresholds are RPMs min/max Temps, battery voltage, airspeed and fuel supply.
Looks like everything we could need. Its call the EMB 2.0 www.jetcraft.net
ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

I'm surprised jetcat or one of the other turbine manufacturers hasn't come out with it yet. All the info is already available in the ecu. I bet it's just a software update & figuring out how to intergrate the info & transmit it to your telemetry system. You can probably even be alerted when parameters begin to go out of wack, moments before the turbine shuts (ie, weakening battery, air bubbles in fuel line etc), & as already stated, ''no need to look down'' audible alert, or a TX shaker
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
BlueBus320

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

well I do have a recent jet mag that has something you can plug into jet cat that sends all the data to the radio. Its not made by futaba or any of the radio makers. Works with all radios that support telemetry

I'm surprised jetcat or one of the other turbine manufacturers hasn't come out with it yet. All the info is already available in the ecu. I bet it's just a software update & figuring out how to intergrate the info & transmit it to your telemetry system. You can probably even be alerted when parameters begin to go out of wack, moments before the turbine shuts (ie, weakening battery, air bubbles in fuel line etc), & as already stated, ''no need to look down'' audible alert, or a TX shaker
This is the post I was waiting for.. Which mag? How much?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
BlueBus320

Ok got it, Thank you very much![8D]
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM
FenderBean

yeah I just got done looking at the website they have two different ones, the EMB works for the jetcraft turbine but if you look under turbines/ jetcat accesories they sale a stand alone jetcat telemetry that gives u the same stuff.
Jetpower magazine 2012 vol 2 i think on the back of the cover is the add.

Ok got it, Thank you very much![8D]
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone put a direct link to the page that has the EMB 2.0 on it, as I'm having no luck finding it!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
MP3_tilaco

ORIGINAL: Gonzalo38

I've witness a couple of cases when turbines have flameout and the pilots haven't notice it until it was too late. Actually, I lost a Comp-Arf Tucano because of that. Not hearing it could be caused by music being played, other jets flying at the same time, strong wind and flying against it, etc....

I would love to have this option in my Futaba 18MZ. Now that telemetry is working, it shouldn't be so difficult for the different manufactures to come with something.
Is true Gonzalo, we know the lost of Pablo's A-10 in Argentina. []
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
FenderBean

this is the orig version
http://www.der-schweighofer.at/en/pr...ltiplex_m-link
the 2.0 version thats on PAGE 2 NOT 1 is the latest version same as the one above but more stuff and works with futaba/robbe radios
The magazine I found this in was a from jetpower its only has 2012 with a 2 so I am guessing volume 2 from 2012 it has a T-33 on front cover.
this one is a stand alone version that works with Jetcats
http://www.der-schweighofer.at/en/pr...et_komplettset
Hope this helps Bill
ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Can someone put a direct link to the page that has the EMB 2.0 on it, as I'm having no luck finding it!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently ready to test fly a device that notifies the pilot that a flame out has occurred and more. The device is a 900MHZ transmitter you mount in the model. It has a receiver that clips to your belt . It reports airspeed from 2-280mph on an earphone or speaker. You can also set a stall speed warning. It also hooks up to the fuel pump and monitors voltage to the fuel pump. When it senses loss of voltage to the pump is reports “Flameout”, “Flameout”, “Flameout”.

By default it reports airspeed in 5mph increments every 5 seconds from 2-60mph. It reports in 10mph increments from 60-120mph and 15mph increments from 120-280mph.
Most of these settings can be changed by program change by the operator. I will report back here when I have flown the device. I am waiting for a 50 degree day or higher. Currently it is installed in my Cosmic Wind prop model and will be moved to my Boomerang shortly ( after a few flights)
Like earlier post said it is a shame that this capability is not provided by the radio manufactures since the RF link is all ready built in some of the radios.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

OK.... now it makes more sense. AND... you guys are right. If you are at an event... and there are 4 other jets in the sky.

BUT... I think I have the solution. (at least with spektrum)

The Telemetry unit has a secondary volt meter. All that you would need to do is tie it to the fuel pump. If you get a flame-out... the ECU will shut down the fuel pump. So... you can set the volt alarm to go off, if the pump voltage drops. I would think that that will give you a faster "Flame out" alarm over just using a temp sensor.

I'll assume Futaba can monitor voltage.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

jetcat has jr telemetry, I'm sure they can come out with sbus2 telemtery as well, showing rpm, fuel voltage e.t.c.

NOw if xicoy did this it would be great because kingtech uses xicoy ecu's!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone tried Eagle Tree Telemetry System? I use both JR and Futaba system, and would prefer using some systems that can be transferred easily between these two systems.

They have a Pro version for jet

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Pro/pro.htm

I tried their basic version for my electric prop plane before with good results, not sure about trying it on turbines. I like to upload it to an iPad or any tablets so that my spotter can monitor it for me.

Yes, at jet rallies we are dealing with music, multiple jets, and new flying sites, the telemetry will give us the first valuable 5 seconds needed to get the plane set up for flame out landing or ditching.

Mike
Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

There's someone in germany who makes turbine telemetry that looks really interesting, works with jetcat ecu's and two versions available, one for Multiplex the other for Graupner Hott

http://www.cb-elektronics.de/HEPC1%20Konverter.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.