Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SkyMaster Large Hawk Wing Fences

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SkyMaster Large Hawk Wing Fences

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default SkyMaster Large Hawk Wing Fences

Hello Guys,

I recently finished a large SM Hawk. Some time ago I remember some discussion in a topic about whether or not to use the wing fences and the angle that they should be installed. I can't remember the thoughts on this. I have tried to find this, but have been unable to find the subject relating to this hawk.

What are the thoughts of using these fences and at what angle do I want to install them if I decide to install them ? Do they help slow speed that much ?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SkyMaster Large Hawk Wing Fences

I installed mine parallal with the fuse.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless you like to refit and repair them all the time, spoiling the wing surface and frustrating yourself - they are a 100% waste of time....

Just my 2c

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I am getting a CARF Hawk and even though it is considered "sport scale" there is a lot on the thread about how necessary the wing fences are for docile handling in the stalled condition. At least with that airframe they are very helpful. I plan to back my Hawk up to the wall and use a big carpenters square to get them properly aligned straight ahead.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
In the Haze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether they do anything to the flying or not, does not matter to me. They just look so COOL, put them on.[8D]
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If yours is like any other Hawk I have seen, you need the fences... They make a difference !!!

Danno
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

Unless you like to refit and repair them all the time, spoiling the wing surface and frustrating yourself - they are a 100% waste of time....

Just my 2c

Cheers,

Jan
That is a very very wrong statement, they were put there on the real hawk for a reason and also on all hawk rc models ive seen. They work! Ive proven it!.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
jetguy34695
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never installed them on my hawk and it is one of the best flying planes i have owned i agree the are more of a pain in the neck then they are worth
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

I made mine removable. See absolutely no difference with them either way. Scott
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very interesting opinions. I will have to think about whether this should be done.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to only really make a difference with smaller Hawks. On my SM Hawk, the fences are hysoled on... supa dupa strong more.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:51 PM
rcjetsaok

Saame question one more time... To fence, or not to fence ???
Old 03-08-2016, 02:44 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fence
Old 03-08-2016, 04:02 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Like I said before.....
Old 03-08-2016, 04:07 AM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fence

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 100.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	2151412  
Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I came up with a very easy and strong way to fit my fences. I cut a 1/4" (6mm) wide strip of 0.008" (0.2mm) carbon sheet and taped this by its edges in the correct position on the wing. No need to wrap under the LE just stop at the LE. Then I trimmed the fence to fit snugly on top of this strip and held it in position while I placed a few drops of thick cyano along the bottom of the fence. Then I hit this with some kicker and was able to remove the tape and lift the fence and base off in one piece. Next I added a generous fillet of Hysol along both sides of the fence down on to the base and let this cure. I rounded the front and rear ends of the base and painted the complete assembly black to match my wing. Once dry I fitted these using canopy glue which has the advantage that you can be generous and just wipe it away. Make sure you fillet the unsupported part of the fence on the underside of the wing with the canopy glue. As the glue dries perfectly clear there is no need to do any paint touch up on the wing at all. Mine ended up rock solid using this method and it was so easy to do.

Malcolm
Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by Malcolm H
I came up with a very easy and strong way to fit my fences. I cut a 1/4" (6mm) wide strip of 0.008" (0.2mm) carbon sheet and taped this by its edges in the correct position on the wing. No need to wrap under the LE just stop at the LE. Then I trimmed the fence to fit snugly on top of this strip and held it in position while I placed a few drops of thick cyano along the bottom of the fence. Then I hit this with some kicker and was able to remove the tape and lift the fence and base off in one piece. Next I added a generous fillet of Hysol along both sides of the fence down on to the base and let this cure. I rounded the front and rear ends of the base and painted the complete assembly black to match my wing. Once dry I fitted these using canopy glue which has the advantage that you can be generous and just wipe it away. Make sure you fillet the unsupported part of the fence on the underside of the wing with the canopy glue. As the glue dries perfectly clear there is no need to do any paint touch up on the wing at all. Mine ended up rock solid using this method and it was so easy to do.

Malcolm
Malcolm

I like your idea. Can you send a picture. \?

K.O.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Malcolm H

Hi K O,

I'm not going to be home now until 17 April but I will take a pic and post it then.

Malcolm
Old 03-29-2016, 05:37 AM
K.O.

Hi K O,

I'm not going to be home now until 17 April but I will take a pic and post it then.

Malcolm
That will be fine.

TX
K.O.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:24 AM
shepp

KO
I installed mine similar to
Malcolm but to make the mounting flange, I stretched a thin sheet of plastic garbage bag over the wing and taped it down, where the fences go . "No wrinkles". Then lay up a couple of layers of 4 oz fiberglass cloth over wing and back under the bottom side .while the resin is still tacky I placed the fences and made a filet out of resin and micro balloons when dry remove from wing , trim to suit , paint and install with canopy glue. You will have. Perfect fit so you don't need much glue.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo I will. Lol

Shepp
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM
K.O.

Originally Posted by shepp
KO
I installed mine similar to
Malcolm but to make the mounting flange, I stretched a thin sheet of plastic garbage bag over the wing and taped it down, where the fences go . "No wrinkles". Then lay up a couple of layers of 4 oz fiberglass cloth over wing and back under the bottom side .while the resin is still tacky I placed the fences and made a filet out of resin and micro balloons when dry remove from wing , trim to suit , paint and install with canopy glue. You will have. Perfect fit so you don't need much glue.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo I will. Lol

Shepp
Thanks Shepp I appreciate that.

K.O.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM
shepp

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk wing fence.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2154961  
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
rcjetsaok

Malcolm
Malcolm,

Most excellent design !! Worked like a charm !! Thank you very much.

Danno

P.S. Indeed very strong !! No extra care in the wing bags needed !!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 PM
K.O.

Originally Posted by shepp
Looks great. I'll probably employ that technique on mine.

TX

K.O.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 AM
Malcolm H

Hey Danno,

That looks exactly like mine except mine is black

Glad it worked for you!

Malcolm