Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I ordered my electrifly f20. Will tx and rx work?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I ordered my electrifly f20. Will tx and rx work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I ordered my electrifly f20. Will tx and rx work?

OK, so the great planes electrifly is on the way. I have a walkera devo 7 tx, and ordered a rx701 to use both for the plane. Today however, I did some testing with my tx and a walkera heli I have and the heli (with some tests) was only fully responsive out to about 200 yards. I'm afraid I may exceed these distances with this plane. Should all of this work out fine? would the rx701 be longer range? I have an older venom heli with the tx and it has an older style extendable antenna and did the same test it was responsive much further. I know walkera makes their stuff for helis, but since I already had the TX, I figured this would be the easiest route.
Any ideas?
Thanks guys.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: I ordered my electrifly f20. Will tx and rx work?

200 yards = 600 feet means you wont be seeing that little jet much further.
It sounds like this is your first edf? If so dont worry about it as you will get 1 flight.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

I plan on getting more than one flight. I've put much time on the simulator and am confident in my flying abilities. I just need to be sure the equipment I have is suffice. I don't know realisitically in person how far out you can fly these edf's or planes in general.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Just do a good range check before flight. 200 yrds is not very far though, even for a small jet.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Personally I would not trust a "park" radio for an open field type RC Electric Jet. The jet will cover a lot of airspace very quickly and Iwould be affraid of it exceeding the range just like you. Invest in a better radio and not put your nice jet at risk or a risk to others...

Just my 2 cents....

If my opinion offends someone, Iam sorry...
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
essyou35

I'm telling you man that thing is a little heavy rocket, higher wingloading that most turbine powered. No offense, but you need a foamy to start with. Your radio is the least of your worries. Make sure some one with experience hand launches it for you.

Prove me wrong and post it back here! Good luck!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM
speed is life

ORIGINAL: xxxleafybugxxx

I plan on getting more than one flight. I've put much time on the simulator and am confident in my flying abilities. I just need to be sure the equipment I have is suffice. I don't know realisitically in person how far out you can fly these edf's or planes in general.
get video..........all you will need is 5-8 seconds anyway.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

I do value every one here's opinion. I am a helicopter guy, and I know planes are easier than helis, but I've never experienced a jet. Since I was initially worried about range, and you guys very well make a good point about my inexperience, I probably should go with a prop plane. Or what IF i went with great planes micro edf sabre jet rtf? Would that be any easier? I wouldn't worry about range because i would assume the tx it comes with is suffice.
Also, down the road I would like to get this plane because it always stood out to me. For the future, what kind of tx/rx would I be looking for?
Thanks all.-I have recieved some good advice.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

"I do value every one here's opinion. I am a helicopter guy, and I know planes are easier than helis, but I've never experienced a jet."

Leafybug,
You seem sincere, so I'll put in a couple of pieces of advice that have helped me over the years and a couple recommendations.

Al.

1. People may not be familiar with your brand radio here in the jet forum if it is "heli specific." Describe your range check procedures and the distance you're getting successfully.

2. Any "full range" receiver will work on your EDF as long as the system is designed for "line of sight" distances. "Full range" systems are designed to work within about two miles of the user, which is farther than a person can see most model aircraft.
If you are in doubt of what a full range receiver is, that is okay, ask specific questions like that.

3. A full range radio is one that can be used on any sized aircraft, can be "range checked" using a signal reducing feature on the radio to bring the power down to a level where 100 feet away will show any weaknesses in the system.

4. Any brand is all right, JR, Futaba, Spektrum, Hitec, Multiplex, Jeti as long as it is installed according to the directions and successfully range checked before flight.

5. Yes, flying a plane that is more stable will promote success. This EDF jet model will be a little less "predictable" to a new fixed wing pilot. Helicopters are complicated and hard to fly, but it definitely is a different kind of flying...even different than the powerful 3D helis (400, 500, 600, 700 sized glow or electric).

6. Recommend a Futaba, JR, Spektrum or Hitec radio with six or more channels for FULL RANGE. Expect to spend about $200 new...remember to look for used equipment, it can sometimes be a really good deal for much less than new. Careful buying from people though, good pictures and a person with more than a few posts and been an RCU member for more than a few months is a good sign you have a legit deal...buying used in person is always best.

7. Recommend going to your local club or a place where others fly regularly and watching to see what they are using. Most likely there is a club nearby you that is flying larger aircraft and using full range equipment. People are usually very willing to help in person, just remember to have thick skin and be patient if some are having a hard time understanding your questions...

Good luck! Post what you end up with and how the flights go! We'd love to see you be successful and flying that EDF jet.

Example Transmitters:

Futaba: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT8&P=TS

Spektrum: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...vo-md2-SPM6610
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

Thank you flyin tiger.  My brand of tx and rx are heli specific, but they have plane settings and allow for plane models.  I don't know too much about the radio systems, but this tx says its output power is -5dbm-20dbm.  Not sure what this means
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

Also, I'll just settle with the fact that these TX/rx's aren't made for super long range jet flight.  They are made for helicopters, which are obviously going to be shorter range than edf's.  I just ordered a sportster and will use that with this setup.  That should be manageable to keep within range, and i'll just get good at flying props before I invest in an expensive rx/tx and get this edf jet i've been looking at.
Thanks all for the help.   
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
essyou35

recommend dynam meoter, good trainer edf
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 AM
essyou35

I just realized you said this is the f20, I mixed that up with the evader. Its a foamy if I recall. Should be ok but helis arent harder just different and skills dont transfer much.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

What essyou35 said. Flying planes, especialy jets, is a very different skillset than heli's. While it seems easier to master fixed wing flight on a simulator, getting successful landings is much harder than with a heli. learning to judge your approach correctly and set down in the right spot and at the right speed to avoid stalls requires significant skills. IMHO this is one part of fixed-wing flying that simulators don't teach very well.

All of that said - the Electrifly F-20 is a 3-channel foamy jet. Presumably you are belly landing on grass, so you won't need to line up with a runway and you can land fast without the dreaded bounce. But it will still stall if you get it too slow or snap out on you if you use too much elevator in flight. As someone said earlier, hand launchings have to be done correctly or the flight will be very short. Also, this plane is fairly fast and you could easily lose sight of it, if only for a moment ... and then you are toast.

My recommendations - start with something slower and simpler, preferably a prop model. You can find something that can use the same power setup and same radio gear. Also, this type of plane really isn't a park flier - not unless you have a really large park ... so you defniately want to have a full range radio system.

Greg
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

Thanks Greg. I am going with a great planes super sportster and will master that. I will have a electrifly f20 someday though. Something so intruiging about the edf type of plane. IN fact, I'll probably get a mini sabre f 86 (also an edf) before too long. But when I do decide to get the f20, will be sure to buy a full range radio system. (Even though it sounds expensive ): But anyways, I'll fly my heli's and prop for now, and the good news is I think I'll be able to safely fly my prop with this setup. I think MY RX TX will go out to about 3/10-4/10 mile, and I know that will be more than enough for this plane.
Thanks again guys, and when it does come time for me to move up to the faster edf plane, I hope to hear from you again!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

I have been looking at rx/tx's and the thing I found to be the cheapest was the spectrum dx5e. Its only 5 channels, but the plane I'd get it for only needs three. Also, I don't see the need (for me) to get a high channel system. If i am going to get a big, slow plane that I wont fly far, I'll use my devo tx, but would this be suffice? It claims to be a full range radio system, so would this spectrum dx5e allow for safe edf flight? Also, is a decent system? The price seems right
thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

dx5e should do fine for what you want right now. the 5 channel rx's are fairly cheap as well. Or, you could get a dx7. That will take you farther down the road. you will need more than 5 channels sooner than you think. even a foamy type jet may have retracts, flaps, dual elevators, etc.