Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-38 Jet Rally in Lubbock, TX?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-38 Jet Rally in Lubbock, TX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: T-38 Jet Rally in Lubbock, TX?

There are at least four of us from Tulsa, Ok who have this meet on our schedule. Looking forward to it.

Ken
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to it. Just bear with me while we get all the stuff together. Don, I own a turbo 182, and fly in to the field all the time. There's a SW-NE runway that's been abandoned but I park there all the time. It's right next to the pit area.

This will be my first rally as a CD so I've got a lot to learn. We won't be as big and organized as our warbirds meet, but my goal is to get everybody back together again like we used to be and share stories, friendships and ideas for making this continue on. I expect 20-25 pilots. We will have a local flier's dad doing a chuck wagon for lunch and I'll spring for a big spaghetti dinner at our house on Saturday night. We'll keep you updated as we get closer. Our weather at this particular month is the most stable of the year. We could get blown out with storms or snow but the odds are low winds, 75-80 for high and mid 50's for low. We have ten turbine waiver holders and approximately 20 planes in just our club alone. Tulsa, OKC, DFW and Carlsbad guys are all on it!

Thanks again for your support
John S Johnson
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal. Then I can park by your 182!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM
patrnflyr

Here's a bump to move us back to the front page as we get closer to the date. (October 4, 5, & 6). We had a monthly club meeting tonight and members are really getting excited. We've been doing some field repairs to the runway and it'll be ready to go before our famous Warbirds over West Texas meet on Labor Day Weekend. I'd appreciate it if people would start to PM me if you'll be coming so we can start getting a head count. I'll try to get a flyer out soon with info.

Once again, appreciate any ideas in getting a very successful jet rally back. Our club has 10 turbine waiver holders with about 25 planes.

I'll borrow from our warbirds event website so you can grab some info about our location, hotels, etc.

http://westtexaswarbirds.com/Home.php

John
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

As a member of Wings, the sponsor club for the T-38, I've attended every event held since back in the 90's. I even attended one as a pilot, flying an F-89 with a glow ducted fan. Man, those were the days. We met lots jet fliers over the years, John Redman, Jason Somes, and others just to drop a couple of names. We're looking forward to seeing all of the guys that have been here before and meeting first timers to the T-38. We've got a new flying site that offers practically unlimited line of site and 2,0000 feet of runway. We've decided that this should be a pilot's event. It's not a fund raiser, it's a fun-raiser. At this point there's no plan to advertise the event except to invite jet pilots that we know and to offer them the opportunity to fly all they want without the traditional catering to spectators.

So, come FLY with us and enjoy the West Texas hospitality of our club and our new CD.

By the way - Larry Wolfe of Jet Hangar Hobbies has put together a 5 inch (e-Turbax) electric turbine that has breathed new life into that old F-89.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM
m998hmmv
My Feedback: (2)

This sounds like its gonna be a fun event! I've found two 2.5 gallon water extinguishers coming from ebay (hope they work). I plan on getting them mounted maybe this week, so we'll have some good foam to fight fuel fires with. They're rechargeable, so you jet guys can keep those expensive ABC extinguishers in the mounts.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
patrnflyr

We've started working on the trophies. Hope you like them!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image #2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1905622  

Last edited by patrnflyr; 08-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Bryan McLarty

Those look great! Looking forward to the return of a great jet event.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 AM
patrnflyr

We did a little meet and greet at the town square where the airport/flying field is yesterday. Lots of interest from the town folk for both this and Warbirds held Labor Day weekend.

Name:	iPhoto Library.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1906943  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 AM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bryan-

Just took a quick look over at the WTW website under Allied Events. I think a mention of the T-38 Jet Rally ought to be fixed up and posted there. John, if you come up with a website for the (new) T-38 Jet Rally, a link back to Warbirds would be needed.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
patrnflyr

Ok Guys, I've laid low until after our highly successful Warbirds and the SW Jet rally were completed. Both were highly successful and it's time to start thinking about Lubbock's T-38 Jet Rally! It's only 3 and 1/2 weeks from now. I've got the food chuck wagon arranged for the Friday and Saturday lunch and we'll be serving a spaghetti/lasagna dinner at my house on Saturday night. The field's been "touched up" so it'll be smooth and FOD free. All I need now is a roll call to help us get a count. I know a bunch of you have already mentioned coming. Just a final idea would help me a bunch for planning. Pics of you and your plane maybe? We have a large covered area which is paved all the way out to the runway. A full scale runway that is 75' x 4,000' and not a tree around except behind the pits for a picnic area. A nice huge area with a relaxed West Texas atmosphere.

I know some OKC/Tulsa guys will be coming with Don bringing the Baron in. We have a place to park the plane off the ramp and out of the way. Also, some Carlsbad and DFW guys will be heading up. We will have our usual High Pressure Ridge setting up for this time of the year with light winds, 75/55 temps scheduled and clear skies. Please don't miss this event! Looking forward to seeing you here!

John

PS some pics of my and my son's planes...

Name:	IMG_2029.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	1918556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1787.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	1918557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2528.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	680.6 KB
ID:	1918558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1918559  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Bryan McLarty

John:

How more inviting could all this be??? You guys don't know what your missing if you've never been to this field! You will not run off the end or hit an obstacle in Abernathy! You just can't do it! Talk about an RC pilots dream. ALL of my new West Texas Warbirds pilots that came for the first time this year had so many nice things to say about the runway, all the space and the hospitality! I was so proud!

So, I just returned from Waco at the Southwest Jet event last weekend. There were a lot of great airplanes, awesome pilots and plenty of fun. Larry and the group at HOT MAC know how to have a party, too! You can count on my faithful bud, Les Morrow, will be there with plenty to fly. I couldn't hope for a better jet mentor and friend! But, as a fairly new and inexperienced turbine pilot, I have to admit, I learn a ton at these events and go away with plenty to think about! Mostly about how I'm going to afford that new...

With the Wings club running things, I know the atmosphere is going to be laid back, friendly and fun. Even though they're my hometown club, I know they'll always put forth an honest hardworking effort to make every thing a success.

I just might have my new PST Reaction there, but don't hold your breath. It gets finished when it gets finished! Right?

Any of you fence-sitters really need to come on out and have a great time!

Good luck, John!!

Last edited by Bryan McLarty; 09-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
ualrcpilot1

Default Skymaster T-38 Search Guerrieri

Originally Posted by jack744
I would like to come to it also pick a date and put it on rcu maybe some of the other jet guys from American Turf Flyers will cerome also ! And If my skymaster T-38 is ready I will bring it !
I was wondering what you think of your Skymaster T-38. I am avid Jet Modeler and have a Bob Forenze T-38, how is the Skymaster version. I have an F-5 Skymaster which is very nice and close to scale. However the pictures of the Skymaster T-38 on their web site leave something to be desired as they are pictures I guess to represent the livery paint schemes available. Would be interested to hear how yours is and what you think of the build etc. Please contact me direct at [email protected]. I flew the T-38 back in the day!!!!!! It was something else. You can contact me via email or on cell phone 630-417-2836 Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, what is the closest "recommended motel" for the event.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM
patrnflyr

Look at our sister website. http://www.westtexaswarbirds.com/#2961
Select Hotels and there's a list. The closest one, though, is Hawthorne Suites located at 19th and Quaker. I'll put it up when I get away from work.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Bryan McLarty

Originally Posted by sailing1
Hey guys, what is the closest "recommended motel" for the event.
Sail:
The guys that came from out of town to West Texas Warbirds just a few weeks ago stayed at the Hawthorn Suites hotel:
http://www.hawthorn.com/hotels/texas...Fadj7AodfhEAyA

It was a good deal and rather easy to get to. Nice place with hot breakfasts. Id call them and see what kind of deal you can get. The pilots who stayed the other week were paying $80.00/night. You might also go to our WTW event page and investigate the hotels we have listed there. Any of the ones along I-27 would be easiest to get back and forth from the field. www.westtexaswarbirds.com
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm planning to come and the "rig" will be behind me!

The place sounds PERFECT for my Shockwave!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
patrnflyr

Originally Posted by George
I'm planning to come and the "rig" will be behind me!

The place sounds PERFECT for my Shockwave!
George, that is awesome!!! We really appreciate you coming all the way over here for this event. If you have any questions, please contact me Really looking forward to meeting you.

John S. Johnson
806-239-1492
Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks John.

I'll be coming from the B-17 Gathering, so not too far. I'll give you a call in a week or so.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM
ualrcpilot1

I tried to contact jack744 in your area for how the Skymaster -38 looks but no information. If anyone in your area has a Skymaster T38 could u have them get in touch with me. Like fidelity to scale quality of kit construction etc. best to initially get me at [email protected]. Or 6304172836. Thanks. Would love to come out to Texas. Flew the 38 back in the day
Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
patrnflyr

We didn't see any T -38's at the meet. The name of the rally is the T-38 jet rally came from our town having Reese AFB where the T-38 was king. We just stuck with the name over the years even though Reese has been closed since 1997.

We have decided to have another jet rally next year. The dates will be October 3, 4 & 5, 2014. We are really looking forward to it. Should have a better turn out since there won't be any clashes that weekend. Texas tech is idle so hotel rooms will be in abundance and weather is usually pretty great

Last edited by patrnflyr; 11-15-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
We didn't see any T -38's at the meet.
I can't recall every seeing an R/C T-38. What's up with that?

Last edited by oliveDrab; 02-17-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: deleted ignorant comments
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't recall every seeing an R/C T-38
I have built and flown a couple of the George Miller T-38 kit. Both flew well. Pic of both in my gallery. Both were ICDF.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 AM
patrnflyr

Some Good News!! JetCat is going to help sponsor us with a couple of cases of Jet Turbine oil. We'll be giving it out to each registered pilot. We've also been in contact with Todd at Dreamworks and hope to have the mobile command center (LHS) with us too, depending on George's schedule. We really appreciated him spending the time with us last year on his way out to BITW. I'm going to get some flyers made and will post one as soon as they're available. Keep an eye out here for further updates and mark your calendars! Weather forecast appears to be great!

Last edited by patrnflyr; 04-30-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by jetflyr
+1 !
Greg
Is there a video of that speech? Might be fun to see it/hear it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.