Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lithium Iron (LIFE ) suitable chargers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lithium Iron (LIFE ) suitable chargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium Iron (LIFE ) suitable chargers

Decided to try a Life Source Lithium Iron rx (6.6v) battery for the first time. The battery instructions say that a Triton or Triton 2 charger can be used for these batteries, but it doesnt say what chemistry or battery type to select on the charger. All the choices seem to me to be too high of voltage which the battery insrtuctions specifically state to not use a charger with too much voltage.

My cellpro 10s has a selection for a A123 type cells and packs. Is this a suitable (correct) way to charge this Life Source pack ?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM
rcand

Default RE: Lithium Iron (LIFE ) suitable chargers

ORIGINAL: turnnburn

Decided to try a Life Source Lithium Iron rx (6.6v) battery for the first time. The battery instructions say that a Triton or Triton 2 charger can be used for these batteries, but it doesnt say what chemistry or battery type to select on the charger. All the choices seem to me to be too high of voltage which the battery insrtuctions specifically state to not use a charger with too much voltage.

My cellpro 10s has a selection for a A123 type cells and packs. Is this a suitable (correct) way to charge this Life Source pack ?
The charger must say LiFe or A123. I have the Batam 6 and the Cellpro Powerlab 8. The bantam says Life and the Cellpro says A123 and I have been charging the same batteries on both chargers.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, A123 type cell mode is correct.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

The Turnigy Accucel charger has been working well for me and it has a specific LiFe setting. Price is right, I bought four of them and connect them to the same power supply, like using one of those 4-in-1 chargers, but if one has any issues the whole thing isn't junk. Of note, I charge my stuff at 1C, not a big fan of "fast charging" at higher than that.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86034.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1859730  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
turnnburn

Thanks guys. I will use my cellpro set for A123. I dont understand how the battery instructions can say to use a Triton 2 charger but that charger does not appear to do Life or A123 ????
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

How old is the Triton? I am pretty sure the latest versions can do LiFe.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
turnnburn

I dont know how old it is. It is a triton 2 that was given to me. No idea how old it is.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys. I will use my cellpro set for A123. I dont understand how the battery instructions can say to use a Triton 2 charger but that charger does not appear to do Life or A123 ????
First line in the specs of this triton 2 says Life A123

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3156.html

Maybe there are more then one Triton brand?? I remember Triton from way back when li-po were new. We used to charge our 10S packs with the Schulze at 10A monitoring the voltage, when closeing up to the maximum we witched over to the Triton to do the final part at a lower 2.5A as it could charge li-po but only at 2.5A

I just switched to a 4S pack of 5000mAh Li-Fe cells in my dirtbike and will pop in a 60Ah dito in my Volvo Diesel too :-) Seems like a good lead acid replacement
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This will tell you all you need to know: http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_batter...iants_faq.html

Mike
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I use 4 at a time up to 6A per port will do every thing I have nicad to life http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...k_Charger.html
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

CellPro's are the rockin chargers for A123 batteries.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:00 AM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Cellpro!