Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Yellow F/A-18 Build Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Yellow F/A-18 Build Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Yellow F/A-18 Build Project

Hi,

I've been inspired to do another full build on one of our F-18 Twins. If anyone is interested in yet another build chronicle, I'll do photos and such on here. I ask because there seems to be a lot less interest in full builds (from kits) than in ARF installs; I suppose since so few people are building these days. I plan to install:

Kingtech K-180
Kingtech bubble trap
Stock Y/A gear, wheels, tires and brakes (unless someone has a nice alternative to our foam tires).
Tam's Split Pipe
Jet Tech Kevlar cells (2x100 ounce)
Ultra Precision UP-3 valve on the gear/doors and another on the canopy
Ultra Precision UP-6 valve on the brakes
Futaba 12FG and 6014 Rx
JR 8711's on the stabs
JR 8611's on the flaps
JR 8411's on the ailerons
Airtronics 94820's on the rudders

I'm not planning to install power boxes or any other such bells and whistles as I've never used them and have never needed to. Doing the build threads makes the build more enjoyable, and I'm always appreciative of comments and questions. When I'm done with her, I'll either keep her and fly her or take bids.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50372.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1880797  
Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Yellow F/A-18 Build Project

I can't wait!  Waiting for a good build thread!  I'm thinking of getting one of these!  Probably just send this one to b1 bob to complete.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Awesome Shaun! What is your average build time in hours for one of these beauties? Obviously you have built many, but just curious about it. Subscribed!

Shaz
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A build thread...how retro! Definitely Subscribed! [8D]
Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I've been inspired to do another full build on one of our F-18 Twins. If anyone is interested in yet another build chronicle, I'll do photos and such on here. I ask because there seems to be a lot less interest in full builds (from kits) than in ARF installs; I suppose since so few people are building these days. I plan to install:

Stock Y/A gear, wheels, tires and brakes (unless someone has a nice alternative to our foam tires).

I'm not planning to install power boxes or any other such bells and whistles as I've never used them and have never needed to. Doing the build threads makes the build more enjoyable, and I'm always appreciative of comments and questions. When I'm done with her, I'll either keep her and fly her or take bids.

Glennis wheels and brakes !!! The only way to go !!!

Here's the link. ( BTW, That's my 18 in the picture on the website..[8D] Built it,flew it 5 years and sold it to Bingham,they flew it and I bought it back.. Still going strong !!! )

http://www.glennis.com/jet.htm

Danno

Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Shaun one of these will be my next build when ever I save up enough money! Looking forward to your build.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

Fun!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I know someone with some rubber replacement tires... Probably one of the last sets to be made to since the molds have worn past there prime... Unless i make up another set of molds
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Hi,

Here's the link. ( BTW, That's my 18 in the picture on the website..[8D] Built it,flew it 5 years and sold it to Bingham,they flew it and I bought it back.. Still going strong !!! )

Danno

Ha!

Yeah, he makes good stuff, but I tried to deal with him once and it left me feeling like I'd rather have a piano fall on my head than spend a penny there. Thanks, though!

Invert,

Make me a set?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 AM
gunradd

Shaun are they the same size as the F22? I was able to use some sullivan skylights on it by using a whole saw to drill out the middle of the tire. I have 2 times the flights on these so far and almost no wear. I went through three sets of foam ones before this

And yea my buddy Mike is having a VERY hard time dealing with glennis and is about to order new yellow brakes wheels and the bottom half of his struts just to get rid of the glennis stuff with no support. He is still waiting on tires that he orderd LAST YEAR after Kentucky jets.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Absolutely....gitterdunn!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

What size Sullivan skylights amigo? Any pix you can share?
I've used BV F4 wheels and brakes with great success before

Cheers

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Shaun are they the same size as the F22? I was able to use some sullivan skylights on it by using a whole saw to drill out the middle of the tire. I have 2 times the flights on these so far and almost no wear. I went through three sets of foam ones before this

And yea my buddy Mike is having a VERY hard time dealing with glennis and is about to order new yellow brakes wheels and the bottom half of his struts just to get rid of the glennis stuff with no support. He is still waiting on tires that he orderd LAST YEAR after Kentucky jets.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Shaun Evans

Buck,

Sup, buddy? Hey, what did you have to do to make your BV F-4 wheels work?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking forward to your build.
Ar you building the wings per pan or do you plan on any mods, pylons, etc?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
yeahbaby

Minor grinding on lower strut to fit BV brake hub. Axle fits but needs a spacer otherwise minor mods.

Buck,

Sup, buddy? Hey, what did you have to do to make your BV F-4 wheels work?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
gunradd

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

What size Sullivan skylights amigo? Any pix you can share?
I've used BV F4 wheels and brakes with great success before

Cheers

Hello Buck
I am not sure what size wheel the yellow F18 uses on the stock hubs. But I know the glennis wheels are the same on the yellow F18 and F22. I used sullivan skylite tires size 2 3/4" for nose and 4 1/2" diameters for the mains, same as the original tires. I then used a whole saw the same size as the hubs think it was 2 inch and something smaller for nose to make them fit the rim. They are holding up great and are lasting much longer then the foam tires.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Hi,

Danno

Ha!

Yeah, he makes good stuff, but I tried to deal with him once and it left me feeling like I'd rather have a piano fall on my head than spend a penny there. Thanks, though!

Invert,

Make me a set?

I've got a pair sitting in the box and ready to ship

I need to get my hands on another new Foam main tire so I can make a new set of molds. These molds were cheap and simple. I have since figured out a better way of doing the tires which makes life easier.. I've got a set of tire molds for the DerJet Cougar to replace the inflatable tires with solid rubber ones... I really need to get this info out more
Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM
cycross

Was about to ask you how were the sullivan tires performing. Good to hear that they are working well.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM
yeahbaby

Hey amigo I think I may have a pair if not a single stock foam tire if you think you can crank out another pair with it.

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Hi,

Danno

Ha!

Invert,

Make me a set?

I've got a pair sitting in the box and ready to ship

I need to get my hands on another new Foam main tire so I can make a new set of molds. These molds were cheap and simple. I have since figured out a better way of doing the tires which makes life easier.. I've got a set of tire molds for the DerJet Cougar to replace the inflatable tires with solid rubber ones... I really need to get this info out more
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ALWAYS wanted one of these birds... even before I was born. Looking forward to the build.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the mod that they did on the ARF with the scale gap seals and flap hinges. I'm also adding hard-points for the wing pylons.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Great! I took some close up photos of the flaps, hinges and the seal from the Hornet sitting on the the USS Midway. If you like I will share them with you but I know thats near by you anyway.

Have many builders done LE Flaps on this twin?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Thanks, yeah I've got the Midway and the Flying Leathernecks museum right here. Those gap covers are pretty neat-looking on this model, but it's a fair amount of tinkering to get them just right.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:10 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Subscribed...looking forward to it, Shaun!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I'm in on this one. May be doing one soon. Will likely go twin though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.