Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sim landings

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sim landings

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
jonty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sim landings

Hey guys

Being winter here I haven't been out in a few months so I though I'd get some sim time in. Well I am using Phoenix 4 and flying the new f18 and a model I made up which is close to a nano and I'm finding landings really difficult. How do you guys find landing on the sim vs real life? I think the hardest thing for me is depth perception in 2d as its very hard to judge speed and distance (altitude seems ok). I'm hoping it is generally harder otherwise ill be in trouble come summer!!

Btw I find helis on the sim much closer to the real thing.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Sim landings

Last time I messed with sims I tweaked the models weight and power to get the feel and response closer to what I remember it being like. Add more weight and take away power until you can feel like the model is "heavy" on the sticks. This will teach you some delayed response and anticipation from the model.
Next play with wind and weather settings and try to land in adverse conditions. The worse it gets the better it will teach you until your tested in real life RC flying.

My take on the sims was the models feel too light responsive for what their supposed to be.

Oh and edit a model then save it as a separate plane with a new name so you can have several modified planes to test and compare.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonty

Hey guys

Being winter here I haven't been out in a few months so I though I'd get some sim time in. Well I am using Phoenix 4 and flying the new f18 and a model I made up which is close to a nano and I'm finding landings really difficult. How do you guys find landing on the sim vs real life? I think the hardest thing for me is depth perception in 2d as its very hard to judge speed and distance (altitude seems ok). I'm hoping it is generally harder otherwise ill be in trouble come summer!!

Btw I find helis on the sim much closer to the real thing.
I also have phoenix 4 and its crap for jets. They fly nothing like the real thing and will hurt your flying by using it. Its great for helis and teaching my kids but completely sucks for jets. I spent allot of time on the F18 to make it fly like one and its just not right.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Dig it

Is there a sim that actually does come close to the F-18C? I'm heading that direction and I'd love to have some "stick time" before I do. Currently flying a Panther and then moving onto a Scorpion but the Hornet is probably going to handle quite a bit different that both of those.

Dale
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use real flight 6.5 and like others are saying
I don't feel like it works all that great for jets or heavy warbirds

So I use it for heli and working on 3D plane stuff..... that is great for keeping the fingers sharp.

For heavy planes I think you just have to get out there and fly them.... pretty much the same story on any heavy plane, land with power, don't get to slow.... beyond that they all fly pretty much the same maybe just a touch different in the way the feel
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Try to do your best on the sim as it wouldn´t hurt and also it may help, but keep in mind that no simulator, no matter how realistic is will make you react in the same way you would flying the real thing.

Read as much as you can about jet trainers, flying setups ,safety procedures about flying and operating model turbines, and at your maiden flight try to have a experienced jet pilot to be your caller. Your chances of having a successful flight will grow exponentially by doing this.

best regards and best of luck,

Enrique.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a F-18C Blue Angel on Real flight swap site that comes real close to the Model.. Before flying my F-18C I always jump on the SIM and use that Jet.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Somebody wrote here that the most realistic training for jet landing with a simulator is the following:

Drop a couple of scorpions in your underwear ......and try forget about them while you practice your landings. It really doesn't matter the airplane you choose or the sim brand. The sensation is close to the real thing.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Somebody wrote here that the most realistic training for jet landing with a simulator is the following:

Drop a couple of scorpions in your underwear ......and try forget about them while you practice your landings. It really doesn't matter the airplane you choose or the sim brand. The sensation is close to the real thing.

++1[:-][:-]
Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jack, I think I have flown that Jet
John