Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine tail pipe to bellmouth / thrust pipe clearance

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine tail pipe to bellmouth / thrust pipe clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turbine tail pipe to bellmouth / thrust pipe clearance

I'm installing a Kingtech K140G in my latest project and the drawing at the end of the manual recommends a 20mm - 30mm gap between the tail pipe of the turbine and what would appear to be the start (wide end) of the bell mouth. The reason I'm asking is I've seen many turbine install photos here on RCU where it appears that rather than having a gap between the turbines tail pipe and the start of the bell mouth, the tailpipe of the turbine is inserted well into the bell mouth and perhaps has a 20mm - 30mm gap between the tail pipe and the small end of the bell mouth / start of the thrust tube. So far my only jet has been a Boomerang XL, which has no thrust tube so I haven't had to deal with issue before and I want to be certain I understand exactly what I need to do so I can get this correct on the first try.
Thanks for in advance..
Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
archie2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there the best position if using a bell mouth is the front edge of the bell mouth should be 12 mm from the back edge of the alli outer caseing of the turbine when we used the 20 to 30mm from the cone it caused a horrible high pitch whistle with a lot of power loss I found a tech drawing on the web of the correct set up of 12 mm and the problem was solved increase in power and whistle gone

Last edited by archie2; 08-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by archie2
Hi there the best position if using a bell mouth is the front edge of the bell mouth should be 12 mm from the back edge of the alli outer caseing of the turbine when we used the 20 to 30mm from the cone it caused a horrible high pitch whistle with a lot of power loss I found a tech drawing on the web of the correct set up of 12 mm and the problem was solved increase in power and whistle gone
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're suggesting that I use 12mm clearance between the end of the turbine body and the face of the bell mouth instead of a 20mm clearance between the end of the turbine tail pipe and the face of the bell mouth? WIth the Kingtech K140G and my bell mouth / thrust pipe combination, that would place the tip of the turbines tail pipe nearly flush with the small end of the bell mouth / start of the thrust tube. Since the thrust tube and bell mouth needs to be positioned so that the other end of the thrust tube is flush with where it exits the fuselage, I'm not certain I can mount the turbine far enough aft to make that happen.

I started this thread because I was concerned that I perhaps had the wrong thrust tube and it was too short for this aircraft. If positioned so the bell mouth has clearance from the tip of the turbines tail pipe then the thrust tube appears to be the correct length.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-26-2013 at 02:45 PM.