Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

servo choice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

servo choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default servo choice

Hey guys, getting close to buying my jet but had a question on servos.

I have flown all the brands of servos out there and dont have a problem with any of them. But I rarely see Hitec servos being used in these jets we fly. Is there a reason for that? I have had great luck with Hitec servos for many years and just wondered why I dont see more of them in the jets. Im looking at JR 8711`s, Hitec 7954, or Futaba 9157. Just curious what others are running and why I dont see many Hitecs out there. Thanks

Steven
Old 10-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually... I see a lot of Hitec servo's being used. But personally... I've lost too many other toys to Hitec to put them in my turbines. Besides... they are just expensive "Import" servo's.

Generally, I use Futaba, and JR. But, I've actually been having very good luck with Power HD servo's. They are inexpensive, and they have proven reliable to me. So... my new jet has a full complement of them.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 10-04-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know everyone has there own prefences, but i have used Hitec Servos in all my jets for 12 plus years, over 60 servos., never a failure. My favorite now is the 7955TG. I have them in my Eurosport for thr elevons and canards, no problems at all.
Ron

Last edited by G4guy; 10-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

All Hitecs, never a problem, but I always use their "best" servos on the flight control surfaces. Love the TG train.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:58 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Part of the reason is the many of the popular jets have build manuals that specify JR servos.
Other times you will see accessory packages offered with ARFs and they contain JR servos.

Personally I used Hitecs in my IMAC plane and think they are just fine.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Steve
Been using HITEC's in my jets for 10 years now and never a problem the only one that I have had a problem with were the 225's heard a lot of BAD things about them.
Cheers
Mav
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I run hitec, jr, futaba, and airtronics in my jets never had a problem with any of them .
however a brand that I really like that has proven excellent and you don't hear much about is savox.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
lxfly

Used Hitec servos in my 50cc models and continued to use it in my first small Viperjets, As many people around here were using the Graupner DES 707 BB MG I tried it in a Boomerang Sprint and I'm really very satisfied with the quality/reliabilty (a bit more then 100 flights, a friend of mine has over 300).
For my new 2.5 Viperjet I am using now the Graupner HBS 860 BB MG as I switched now to high voltage servos and this servo was used by some CARF guys.
My actual experience for now is that you don't have to spent over a hundred bucks for a servo. It must not be the cheapest (DES 707 is just around 30€) but there are a lot of excellent choices in the price range of 70- 80 $ that do the job. For all "normal " sportjets just get a branded standard size servo with metal gear and a torque from 180 to 220 oz-in .
Old 10-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Steven,
You want to use servos with the best centering for the critical flight surfaces of your jet. To check this you can fabricate a servo tray and attach about a 7" long wire to the output arm. Actuate the servo and it should return to within 1/16th " at the outer arm position. The best servos should be mounted in the aileron, elevator and rudder positions. Digitals are also preferred in these positions. Save the analogs for nose gear steering, flaps and retract/brake valve actuation. Some pilots also specify digitals for flaps but ensure that there is no binding or stalling of the servo at any position- this can drain your receiver battery or cause dropouts.
I've mixed brands, with JR for the critical surfaces and HiTec for retract/brake valves. MY jet partner swears by hi-end HiTecs in his Top Gun and NATS-grade scale jets. Hope this helps.

Art ARRO
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

I use nothing but Futaba and JR, but curious about TBM's praises on the HD servos.
Any one using the HD servos offer by TBM? How's the performance and durability?

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html

Also, interested on how many jets guys prefer analogs over digitals for flap actuation. (just recently had a digital lock-up on one flap)

Rgds,
Keith
Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 AM
more

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Power-HD HV series in CARF-Rookie and PST-Reaction by direct connect to 2 cells Li-Po without power distributor system. No problems and good centering.Help me to save more than 1/2 price of hi-end brands.Because of China QC, you need to run-in them to make sure before put them in your jet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMWIzYDmQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUBZrSF3hY

Last edited by more; 10-05-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Are you using these on all control surfaces, particularly the flaps? How are they holding up? Do Futaba metal servo wheels fit?
Which HD HV#?
Thanks

Last edited by myersflyers; 10-05-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: add ?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by myersflyers
I use nothing but Futaba and JR, but curious about TBM's praises on the HD servos.
Any one using the HD servos offer by TBM? How's the performance and durability?

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html

Also, interested on how many jets guys prefer analogs over digitals for flap actuation. (just recently had a digital lock-up on one flap)

Rgds,
Keith
Originally Posted by myersflyers
Are you using these on all control surfaces, particularly the flaps? How are they holding up? ......

Thanks

I guess you didn't read the very first reply.

Originally Posted by more
I use Power-HD HV series in CARF-Rookie and PST-Reaction by direct connect to 2 cells Li-Po without power distributor system. No problems and good centering.Help me to save more than 1/2 price of hi-end brands.Because of China QC, you need to run-in them to make sure before put them in your jet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMWIzYDmQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUBZrSF3hY

Yep... you are right. I had one out of the box I didn't like. The servo worked, but didn't run smooth. But since they are cheap... I kept it for parts.

As far as the China QC comment.... the reason I've been switching over is because most of the big brands are coming out of China anymore. So... why pay "Japanese" pricing for Chinese quality??

Last edited by Dr Honda; 10-05-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 AM
jetster81

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
I run hitec, jr, futaba, and airtronics in my jets never had a problem with any of them .
however a brand that I really like that has proven excellent and you don't hear much about is savox.
I can vouch for Savex and am gradually moving over to them with keen pricing and a good range they are becoming very popular here in Europe.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Using Futaba, Hitec, JR and Graupner up untill now. Tried some Savöx servos in my MB339 (flaps), and they are very noisy. No problem at the field, but annoying in the shop when setting up and adjusting everything. The noise actually got me a little irritated.....silly me

Other than that, they seem like quality stuff👍
Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using 7955TG and have had no problems. Nice to just be able to program reverse in a flap servo and not have to pay more for a reversed servo as well.

Last edited by M3Baker; 10-05-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 PM
more

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Savox is a good and reliable servo brand(Skymaster recommend Savox in their combo kit) ,but I don't like it because it always make a noisy sound.It happen even use very low force on it.

I always use 1218HV 21KG./7.4V. and plan to use it in my new FEJ viper-m.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had too many Hitec servos burn up and have had friends with many more do the same ... fortunately no jets/planes lost, and all were on the bench at set up. JR all the way for me on the servos ( 8411, 8611, and 8711) , and I have also recently used Savox.. after seeing how good these have been on helis ( Align rebrands Savox servos for heli use .. you think jets make hard use of servos, .. the 3d heli guys relay put a beating on them ) I hear great things about Futaba servos .. I just have not had the chance to use their latest digital offerings .. on my warbirds, it used to be only Futaba for me , like the 9303, and similar ...

~V~
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I use hitecs in my large 3d planes, Jr in my helis jut with jets I'm going back to futaba. The new HV sbus servos are great, all the servo program options. The seem to develop less slop thany jrs. I think all have pros and cons savox are good as well the heli guys who can put servos through some abuse really like them. Go with what fits you budget, even the top end servos go bad without warning.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Midas D.

I got JR8411's in the stab of my Flash and for the rest of all control surface i got the Graupner DES707bbmg.
Must say that the 8411's jitter and make noise constantly, the 707 are rock solid an don't make an noise even if i wanted to make them a noise...........
So i would say "shoot me in a bucket" but for my opinion the next jet are gona be 707's all around cause for the price of 1 8411 you buy 3 707's

What's this thing with "Runing-in" servo's???? Really never heard of that, i'm i missing something here??

Regards,

Ed
Old 10-05-2013, 11:52 PM
jetster81

What's this thing with "Runing-in" servo's???? Really never heard of that, i'm i missing something here??

Regards,

Ed[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is new to me also, Testing before installing,yes. How are folks running them in exactly?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Midas D.

Thanks jetster !!

Taught of myself that i was an idiot not knowing this
Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

All,
Some electronic components have a high "infant mortality rate" in that their failure occurs early in their operational life. Servos are no exception and I prefer to exercise or "run in" my servos before installation in a jet model. It is far better to have the servo fail on the bench as opposed to inflight, especially on a low inverted pass. There are several devices that will excerise a servo and I like the EDR-203 SERVO-CISER from ElectroDynamics-:www.electrodynam.com. This handy device can center your servos and also excercise them in both fast and slow auto/speed modes. It is driven by a normal receiver battery and I center and exercise all my servos for about 20-30 minutes before installation. You'll easily detect any noisy or skipping travel output along with servo heating. The -ciser can be mated to a HANGAR 9 Digital Servo & Receiver Current Meter to verify the servo current draw also. The current meter is used to check the final installation for any binding or excessive current before the maiden flight or after any R/C system maintenance. I've detected several bad servos during this "running in" period and both the -ciser and meter have paid for themselves many times over.

Art ARRO
Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Midas D.

Well thanks for the info and have to say, Never done or knew this in my modeling career...........

So, should i be a shamed now and call myself lucky?? Or did this new insight is an other "new" thing to scare the **** out of me on future projects?????

Regards,

Ed
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Many radios have a test mode that cycles the servos at an adjustable rate. I test run all of my new servos for about 30 min. on the bench or in the plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.