Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No more ducted fans & turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No more ducted fans & turbines

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 02:02 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No more ducted fans & turbines

HI all, ducted fan engines and turbines have been pulled off the Jets for sale market place, so if you are interested in buying either you will have to go to engines for sale. I wonder what is next.
Rcpete
Old 09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
RampRat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No more ducted fans & turbines

Makes good sense to me...
Looking for engines? Look in the engine-section...
Old 09-24-2003, 03:04 PM
Dennismate

I have yet to find one improvement that makes this site better than it's predecessor.

RCU, there was nothing wrong with the old site! Why change?????

Frustrated

Stuart
Old 09-24-2003, 05:25 PM
jmc1957ict
My Feedback: (1)

Where did the photo gallery go ? Looking at other people's creation's was the fun of coming to this sight. Bad move RCU you have tried to fix something that wasn't broke......

James Sr.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:13 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: jmc1957ict

Where did the photo gallery go ? Looking at other people's creation's was the fun of coming to this sight. Bad move RCU you have tried to fix something that wasn't broke......

James Sr.
I have posted 100 times already here. The photo gallery is being coded now. we will roll it out when it is completed and no sooner. Please stop with the ain't broke cliche. If that was true we would be riding on horses still. I'm sorry but in business if you are not moving forward you are moving backwards.

As far as turbines being listed. You can list them in the engines--> turbine category. A motor is not a turbine jet airplane, it is a motor.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:00 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

I understand what you say about a turbine being an engine, but why in the world would you move turbines for sale or wanted to the engine section? Somebody looking for a Como .51 or whatever could care less in if a turbine is for sale. Since it is such a specialized area why not leave in the jet area.

The area I go to most is the jet forum and jets for sale forum. I don't want to sift through a bunch of other ads to look for a turbine. I probably won't buy one here but I still like to look and see what's for sale and wanted.

Now if someone wanted to sell or needed say a fuel pump or an ECU for a turbine or some other item for a jet. where would we find it? It's not an engine and it's not an airplane. Go figure.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:44 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I miss the retracts for sale section, where would they go best under now? Accessories I suppose? Just curious.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:27 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Poaching off this thread-

Does anybody still carry the K&B 7.5CC DF engines? (Or know someone with one?)

I CANNOT start a thread or I get kicked out of RCU and have to log back in- But I can "Quick Reply"

Sorry for the intrusion...

james
Old 09-25-2003, 02:15 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

james,

I have two of them...I think. One is mounted in a TurbAx II unit and the other...well I haven't seen it since I moved to Arizona three years ago! I believe that it is in the attic in my box of engines. Neither one has been run.

Regards,

John
Old 09-25-2003, 04:01 AM
RampRat

bcovish: In the Turbine-section under Engines, i found a subcategory named "Parts"... That should help you stop crying over non-issues...
Old 09-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Strykaas

Please stop with the ain't broke cliche. If that was true we would be riding on horses still. I'm sorry but in business if you are not moving forward you are moving backwards.
Nope, I think you're partly wrong, and I have one big example : O.S.Engines which were running quite perfectly : FSR series, SF series,... They've tried to make something new, FX series, ... which is a real real real failure . Move forward only if you're sure about you're doing, which is not always the case... Otherwise, It will be not worth it, definitely...
Old 09-25-2003, 06:39 AM
RampRat

That's funny... You're the first i've heard of to complain on the FX-series... I bought a .46FX in 1996, and it still runs perfectly...
It has even outlived five aircrafts... The models were totaled, but the engine keeps on humming...
Old 09-25-2003, 07:26 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread is a prime example of the dissatisfaction some ppl have with the new rcu. rcpete ask a legitimate question and stuart chimes in with his displeasure as well. and here comes the rcu administrator, with his telling us to stop with the old cliches. my friend, administrator, where are you buying your new coke. coca cola tried something once, and tinkered with a fine product in a big way and the masses didnt like it and bam, we have our old coke back. coca cola classic. so, you get off your tired cliche of if you aint moving forward you are moving backwards, that is unless you are still finding and drinking new coke. change is sometimes good and sometimes not. i for one dont like most of the changes, such as turbines in the engine section. i will get over it, however i will and do speak with my money, and the changes here and the arrogance here now from some of the staff will never see a dime of my money. i still enjoy coming to this site for i am able to see what is going in the rc world a little better, but i guess maybe i am set in my ways and i liked the old site more. no big deal, but this like it or shut up attitude you seem to have is not going to make anyone at rcu rich. bwr
Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 AM
Strykaas

Do a search here on these engines, and you'll see how fast the "All New" Nickel plating is ripping off ... (have u ever noticed the OS engines have gone ABN N standing for Nickel ?) . Some claim chrome has so strong waste disposal constraints that it is economically more interesting to switch to nickel. I doubt it as far as os engines are concerned : I was willing to pay for the extra cost if needed... At least, these new ABN engine require extra care, especially during break in,in comparison to their predecessors... That's probably why you've had no problem !

Old 09-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU
I CANNOT start a thread or I get kicked out of RCU and have to log back in- But I can "Quick Reply"

I hear ya, and I feel your pain - been there, done that. You probably have a pop-up stopper running. For some reason the pop-up reply (etc) windows that we currently have will not just fail to pop-up if you have your pop-up stopper running - they will actually log you out, delete your cookies etc.

If you can turn your pop-up stopper off temporarily, or remember to use the "allow" function (e.g. hold down CTRL when clicking on "New Post", or whatever your pop-up stopper uses), or if you can tell your pop-up stopper to allow pop-ups from RCU... then you should be okay for now. Marc told me that the rewrite of some of the code to do reply (etc) in the primary window instead of in a pop-up should be done soon, but the above work-arounds may help you in the meantime.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It affects all of us to some extent - mod's included, so we understand where you are coming from. However, Marc has acknowleged the problem and is working on a fix, so we just need to hang in there a little longer until these wrinkles get ironed out.

As a user, I feel many of the same frustrations that you guys do ; as a software developer I also understand the fact that all new software will have bugs, usability issues, etc that will take some time to fix.

Later,
Gordon
Old 09-25-2003, 09:24 AM
realdeal
My Feedback: (45)

in business if you are not moving forward you are moving backwards.
Ever heard of New Coke? Not everything you "improve" will be seen by your customers as moving forward. The current RCU is the "New Coke" of RC forums in my opinion. Want to try an experiment to prove me wrong? Make the "Classic RCU" available to members including fees for classified ads but in the old format. See what your customers choose.

Regarding the classification of items. I don't necessarily go to the classifieds with a clear picture of what I want. This is not like shopping in a hobby store where I pretty much know what will appear on the shelves. I like browsing and finding items related to my current interests that I may not have consdered or even known about. If you reclassify all jet related items into categories away from the airframes I will miss most of them. I don't have the inclination to browse 10 areas of the marketplace and filter through all the unrelated stuff just to see if something new has shown up that I can use on jets.

Keith
Old 09-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Gordon Mc

Default Reclassification

Just a quick word on classification of items for sale.

Many of you may not be aware of it, but lots of the forums in the old RCU used the same kind of classification as is used now. Several of the aircraft-for-sale forums did not allow engines, retracts, spinners, etc to be listed - only complete aircraft.

Your jet mod's decided to use some of the freedom they were given by Marc, to run the jets-for-sale forum a little differently and allow anything jet related in that forum, rather than asking that people post engines in the engine forum, other parts in the accessories forum, etc.

While the above did seem to please many of you (Wow - can you believe it - the jet mod's actually got something right for once ! ), it created an inconsistency with the rest of the site. Maybe that's why the change was made.

Regardless, even though some of you seem to think that Marc doesn't care what the members want, it's been my experience that he does very much care and will listen to the feedback (especially if it is made in a reasonable way, rather than the arrogance and personal attacks that I have seen some folk make in the past). If the current categories don't work for many people, and they provide decent feedback and even some positive suggestions, then (in time, since the RCU programmers are kinda busy right now), I am sure that the categories can be reworked.

For instance, maybe in time we can have a system whereby the current categories are only the "defaults", but that people can create their own, based on keywords. Let's say you post a Jetcat P120 for sale, and you enter / select keywords "Engine", "Jet", "Turbine", or you sell a RTF Bandit for sale and select keywors "Jet", "Turbine", "Aircraft" and "RTF" ... then users could create their own personal queries based on their interest - e.g. show me everything to do with jets, or show me all RTF jets and all 4-stroke engines, but don't show brand X coz I don't like them, or show me anyone in California who is selling a RTF jet, .... Then save the query under your own category name so that you can always just come in & re-use your custom queries.

Just a thought. Given enough time and useful input, who knows what we can get Marc to create for us.

Gordon
Old 09-25-2003, 10:16 AM
RampRat

Coca Cola tried pushing "Vanilla Coke" on Norway a while back, and they failed bigtime... They ended up giving it away for free in the stores...

I might add that Norway is the largest consumer of Coca Cola pr. person...
Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: RampRat
Coca Cola tried pushing "Vanilla Coke" on Norway a while back, and they failed bigtime... They ended up giving it away for free in the stores...
Wow - maybe I should move to Norway, coz I love Vanilla [diet] Coke !! Guess that just goes to show that you can't please everyone...

Gordon
Old 09-25-2003, 12:10 PM
LGM Graphix

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a question,
But if ducted fans and turbines are no longer supposed to be in the jets for sale section, then perhaps under engines, it should be a section for "Jet propulsion" rather than turbines, 2 stroke glow, etc.

I only say this because currently, the new RCU hasn't been around long, and the majority of engines for sale are "2stroke glow"
This means if I want to look for a Ducted fan engine, I now have to search through the largest category (which wouldn't be an issue except I have yet to have the search feature work in a specific forum section) by hand.

Turbines are obvious, they are listed there, but if it was "Jet propulsion" it could include:
Turbines
IC ducted fan
EDF ducted fan
Pulse Jets

As it sits, it's a lot of searching for a very specific type of engine. Personally, because they are so specific in application, I would like to see them stay in jets, but as I do realize many speed freaks are using DF engines in prop planes, and heli's are now turbine birds etc, the seperate engine category is not a bad idea, but I think "Jet Propulsion" would cover a broader spectrum, and allow far easier access to anyone trying to find these types of engines.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:33 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it was not just jets that had such priveledges. giant scale often had 32 inch props and six inch spinners etc for sale, in the giant scale for sale section as well as the giant scale aircraft. take for instance wing bags for a hotspot, no better place to put them than jets for sale if you want them to move. i am not trying to stir a stink, it just seems like it is common sense. no offense gordon, you make it sound as if the jet guts took advantage of marc and now we must be rained in. i for one never saw the old rcu jets for sale page as a free for all. therefore, i dont believe i need to be whipped in line now for the good of rcu. bwr
Old 09-25-2003, 08:44 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Want to try an experiment to prove me wrong? Make the "Classic RCU" available to members including fees for classified ads but in the old format. See what your customers choose.
Keith, I had already made that suggestion back when he was asking about our "cutting edge personalities" and did not hear anything. Then all of a sudden, after so many dissatisfied people posted, a bunch of "happy customers" posted, many of whom never have posted in the jets forum before or even frequent the board.

I still come here, but with MUCH LESS frequency.

George
Old 09-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: u2fast
it was not just jets that had such priveledges. giant scale often had 32 inch props and six inch spinners etc for sale, in the giant scale for sale section as well as the giant scale aircraft.
Indeed - I never claimed that the jets for sale forum was the only one that was more "open", just stated that many of the other forums were stricter. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the way I said that.

no offense gordon, you make it sound as if the jet guts took advantage of marc and now we must be rained in.
No worries - no offense taken, and the above impression was not what was intended ... I wuz simply stating that since some of the forums were very strict and some were not, that causes an inconsistency that might be a problem with a more centrally organized marketplace system - e.g. as RCU tries to handle some of the stuff more programmatically than manually, it proably becomes more necessary for there to be a "standard" way that things are done throughout the various categories... but, I'm just guessing at what sounds like a logical reason, rather than knowing for sure that that's the reason.

Later,
Gordon
Old 11-08-2003, 09:34 PM
p47dman

Have you ever heard " The customer is always right" ?
Old 11-09-2003, 01:08 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

There's only 108 open (unsold) classifieds in the jet section as of now, just seems too small to feasibly split up if you ask me. One can scan through all of the unsold items in a few minutes, having to go to a different section is too time consuming, plus I may not be looking for an engine or turbine but if its with the rest of the jets (For a good price) I may be compelled to purchase it. Personally I feel RCU is trying too hard to be like ebay, unfortunately RCU doesn't have and never will have the customer base that ebay has and with a smaller customer base, it is best to keep things as compact and simple as possible, there is no need to split up 100-200 items.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.