Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DIY Jet engine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DIY Jet engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:45 AM
HyperSpace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Jet engine?

Im more of a person sensitive to pollution and putting green house gasses in the atmosphere. So I had a plan for a jet engine to use methane, Was going to use methane gas for my first prototype to see how well methane ignites. Then I was going to move on to liquid methane. Advantages of methane is its light but at the same time denser than kerosene and lighter. Disadvantages is the ignition needs to be very hot, Not plasma hot. But something that needs a spark to ignite it.
Was going to focus on a small jet engine. Around 2 pounds of thrust, And around 600 grams of fuel(A gallon of liquid methane because its lighter) The estimate for how much fuel it will use is around 600 secs every gallon. So ten minutes is the flight time at full throttle. Thrust ill be about 2:1 thrust to weight ratio.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Good luck.

But I think you will find that a turbine will drink WAY more fuel than you are accounting for. Also... 2 Lbs of thrust will be useless since you are projecting more than 2 Lbs just for your fuel, and fuel tank. I'm sure the weight of a tank, that would hold 600g of CNG/LNG would weigh at least 1lb on it's own. (Since you have to contain 3600 psi)

As far as a "Hobby" use.... it's not going to be viable. We want to refuel, and go fly. There isn't any real way to refill a CNG tank in the field without expensive equipment.

This is why the old propane run engines all went away.

With that said... if you get something running, post up some pics.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 11-24-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 AM
HyperSpace

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Good luck.

But I think you will find that a turbine will drink WAY more fuel than you are accounting for. Also... 2 Lbs of thrust will be useless since you are projecting more than 2 Lbs just for your fuel, and fuel tank. I'm sure the weight of a tank, that would hold 600g of CNG would weigh at least 1lb on it's own. (Since you have to contain 3600 psi)

As far as a "Hobby" use.... it's not going to be viable. We want to refuel, and go fly. There isn't any real way to refill a CNG tank in the field without expensive equipment.

With that said... if you get someting running, post up some pics.
Well I was looking at an electric peltier. And yeah its going to be hard to refuel..
Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

You're forgetting an important thing, kero is quite a clean fuel, it's the oil that's the nasty thing in this situation, you also need to think about the properties of methane in terms of flash point heat etc! you could end up cooking a NGV, then you have the fuel parameters in the ECU that have been setup for Kero and not methane. I'm not ruining the idea, it's very clean to use methane but it will need more input than just swapping the fuel etc
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM
HyperSpace

Originally Posted by warbirdfanatic
You're forgetting an important thing, kero is quite a clean fuel, it's the oil that's the nasty thing in this situation, you also need to think about the properties of methane in terms of flash point heat etc! you could end up cooking a NGV, then you have the fuel parameters in the ECU that have been setup for Kero and not methane. I'm not ruining the idea, it's very clean to use methane but it will need more input than just swapping the fuel etc
Yeah but kero has carbon dioxide that lasts for thousands of years. While methane only stays in the atmosphere for 3 years. I was thinking of a pressurized nozzle which would shoot out methane into the engine then mix the methane with the air by a motor. And than ignite it with a spark igniter.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

You action will have no effect one passenger jet burn more for one round trip than all rc jet for next 10 years in the world.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

The real threat is Cattle and them farting. This is not a joke by the way
Old 11-24-2013, 10:51 AM
warbirdfanatic

Totally correct there, concrete also has a large impact aswell as peat, people panic too much with regards to 'greenhouse gasses', we have scientific proof that the air was more dense with it millions of years ago yet nature flourished with rain forests covering only a quarter of what we have now. CO2 and carbon monoxide is not something we should worry about, we should be worrying about the carcinogenics that are put into the atmosphere, carbon monoxide is a way of life for us and the plants that depend in it......
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whats your plane and turbine going to be built from. Don't you think that what produces all these parts also produces pollution. I'm all in for trying to care for the environment but come on you have been brought up in today's world and not the Stone Age. This is why the only true wilderness out there is between a greenness ears.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:24 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by warbirdfanatic
Ummmm. Look dude, if you're that concerned about the environment, I hope that you are riding a bicycle to the flying field.

I applaud your enthusiasm for designing/building, but am fairly doubtful you'll be making any more difference than if you took a teaspoon of salt out of the ocean. And to build a 2lb thrust turbine?

Wait, I just got it. This ur kidding. Haha. You got us. Good one!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Shouldn't this thread have been started on April 1st?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
warbirdfanatic

If there was any true benefit, I'm sure it would have been done by now, but with today's turbines it's just easier to stick with the industry standard until turbines become banned and we are forced to use those noisy things called ducted fans.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

If you are worried about Putting pollutants in the air Your in the wrong hobby unless U do rubber band jets.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

You guys know that our carbon footprint in the scheme of things is infantisimile compared to the volcanic activity mother nature produces, and is producing at a couple of major eruptions right now. Fly and be happy with whatever fuel you want!
Happy Flying
Loopman
Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Just read an artical that Sun Spots Activity is at a 300 year low and the only thing that is going to keep the northern hemisphere from another Ice Age is global warming .... Go Figure.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 AM
warbirdfanatic

In one ear and out the other, the science behind it is too large for scientific models to understand it currently so as per usual the governments just point the finger!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to me that real engineers announce once they have done something, and wannabees announce that they are going to do something.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Lets review a little chemistry shall we?

CH4 + (2)O2 = CO2 +(2) H2O

(methane) + Oxygen = Carbon dioxide + Water

Carbon dioxide = Green house gas = global warming = Al Gore lecturing you about how you can't play with jets as he's walking out of his G5 that he flew in
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Any type of combustion is going to produce greenhouse gasses. Hell make a jet run off water, and you still produce a greenhouse gas called "Steam". Water vapor accounts for 70% of all greenhouse gasses.

Quit acting holier than thou. Just do the project because it will be fun. Or build a solar powered jet. Then you claim what you are saying.

Curious, what kind of vehicle do you drive?

Edit: Better Idea. Invent anti gravity.

Edit Edit: Way better Idea. Invent warp drive.

Edit Edit Edit: Way Way better idea. Invent a holodeck from star treck so I can create a hologram of a younger Jennifer Anniston.

Last edited by essyou35; 11-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Hyperspace, we get way more than 2lbs thrust with something a lot "cleaner". It's called EDF.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And don forger that hypocrite owns a "carbon exchange" and is becoming filthy filthy rich off the carbon cap and trade game. scotty
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM
warbirdfanatic

Oh god we have those con artists in the UK, forever seeing a new court case on TV because some granny was sold carbon credits that were only useable for corporations!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
stevekott

Just plant a couple trees in your back yard. Let them work 24/7 sucking up all the CO2 you could possibly produce with your 2 lb thrust Hobby Engine. Call it a day and move onto something fun!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
Edit Edit Edit: Way Way better idea. Invent a holodeck from star treck so I can create a hologram of a younger Jennifer Anniston.

Can I have the real one?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 PM
byrne1157

I wonder how much coal, or natural gas would have to be burned to generate the electricity necessary to refine the aluminum needed, not to mention the oil pumped to create plastics, plus the machinery to ...Heh,Heh,Heh.....is all I can say....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.