Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PowerBox Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PowerBox Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerBox Help

My PowerBox just came back from repair in Germany. I sent it in because I broke the connector where the ribbon cable from the external LCD display plugs in. Now the display lights up but shows nothing; the display is blank. I should have sent the display with the PowerBox, but it's too late now, and I'm hoping not to send it for another round trip to Germany. Any advice? Anyone seen a blank PowerBox display before?
Old 12-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Are all the pins OK in the "plug" When you say you broke the socket on the PB,is that because you tried putting the plug in with the cable going the wrong way?

If it came back you can be fairly sure the PB was working with one of their screens before return

Dave
Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Jeffpro

Yes, I must have tried putting it in the wrong way. I figured they probably tested the PowerBox before they sent it back. It doesn't make sense that the display doesn't work. There aren't any pins in the connector coming from the LCD display, so I wonder if the display itself somehow got shorted or something. Sigh. I'll see if I can buy a new display panel. The Duralite site here in the U.S. lists switches among the accessories you can purchase, but not displays.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the display on its own. Have a look here: http://www.powerbox-systems.com/produkte/zubehoer.html

Do you have anyone else nearby with a display that you could try? That might narrow it down to whether it is the screen or the unit. Have you asked PowerBox? They're usually very quick to respond (but ask soon as they close for Christmas).
Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Jeffpro

Looks like you can order directly from the PowerBox site:

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/en/p...box-royal.html

I wish I had someone close by with a unit I could borrow to test. But there are few jet guys in this part of the country. Oh, well. Like you said, it's very likely that PowerBox tested the whole thing before shipping it back, and that a new display will do the trick. Building RC jets will teach you patience if nothing else!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:56 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it that expensive to send the display back? It might save you quite a few $$$ if they can fix it (or if there's nothing wrong with it). Did they replace the connector on the unit? There must be 'pins' on the connector from the LCD display but they may be female pins inside the plug. It may be that one of these is damaged, or it might be a firmware issue, or it might be a shorted component or it might be something else.

I would definitely ask PowerBox before spending your hard-earned cash. You will be even more frustrated if you buy a new screen and it still doesn't work.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Jeffpro

It cost me $125 to ship the PowerBox to Germany (5-day delivery).

The connector that plugs into the PowerBox from the display has female pins. Hard to see how one of those could get damaged, but maybe one of them did while I was trying to straighten a pin I had bent in the connector in the side of the PowerBox before I sent it back.

I can probably order a display and return it if that doesn't fix the problem.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Which PB is this? Not a red plug, one of the longer black units?
No one flying IMAC, big 3-D locally?