Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can you find yours here?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can you find yours here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
Found my first Two. The four channel digitiro I bought used in 73 and the five channel Kraft my parents bought me when it failed six weeks later. Woketman had one so we thought it was a better option than fixing the other one after it failed and caused my first plane to crash with me never getting to fly it myself.
Wow Ron, I did not remember any of that! My dad took me up to York Pennsylvania to a hobby shop that we were told had the best prices on Kraft gear. I still recall the price for that Kraft 5 ch Sport Series: $248.00. That was a heck of a lot for a 14 year old!!!! That is $1264.10 today, according to an inflation calculator I found!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM
lawrence b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a few of us still have our old radios! I am in that group, I just could not bring myself to get rid of them, I was able to buy the 1971 single stick from a modeler who really needed the money so I offered him $120 which was all I had.
Larry B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S7.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	1962793   Click image for larger version

Name:	S8.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	1962794  

Last edited by lawrence b; 01-28-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Yea, you weren't there that day. Herb Adams was flying my Astroflite Super Malibu glider with a TeeDee .09 on it to get it up that I bought from the same guy I got the radio from for 175$ fro everything. He lost control of it and it starting doing loops until the wing failed and down she went. The Shop up in York was there until about five years ago "Skellys Hobby and Cycles". My dad paid 299.99 for mine as my 14th birthday present. Skellys had a special running that month, it came wtih six servos and Joe Doulher at Loyyds sold me a Falcon 56 and a OSmax 35 for 50$. The plane didnt last one season but I flew the radio for ten years and got my first Futaba from a shop in Glen Burnie the guy wanted my Kraft and trade me my radio and 100$ for a new Futaba 6 channel.
Originally Posted by Woketman
Wow Ron, I did not remember any of that! My dad took me up to York Pennsylvania to a hobby shop that we were told had the best prices on Kraft gear. I still recall the price for that Kraft 5 ch Sport Series: $248.00. That was a heck of a lot for a 14 year old!!!! That is $1264.10 today, according to an inflation calculator I found!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, those are beauties!

There is fascinating historical information on that site. Check out "First Kraft," and "Prototype Bonner Digimite." At the end of the Bonner article there is a PDF file entitled "Bonner Digimite Story by Frank Kagele," a fascinating story about the rise and fall of Bonner. Another good one is the story of Zel Ritchie and Space Control, it's a little harder to find but here is the link:
http://www.rchalloffame.org/Manufact...ory/index.html Just tons of great articles on that site. He really did an amazing job.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, you weren't there that day. Herb Adams was flying my Astroflite Super Malibu glider with a TeeDee .09 on it to get it up that I bought from the same guy I got the radio from for 175$ fro everything. He lost control of it and it starting doing loops until the wing failed and down she went. The Shop up in York was there until about five years ago "Skellys Hobby and Cycles". My dad paid 299.99 for mine as my 14th birthday present. Skellys had a special running that month, it came wtih six servos and Joe Doulher at Loyyds sold me a Falcon 56 and a OSmax 35 for 50$. The plane didnt last one season but I flew the radio for ten years and got my first Futaba from a shop in Glen Burnie the guy wanted my Kraft and trade me my radio and 100$ for a new Futaba 6 channel.
WOW! They were crap radios compared to what we all have now, but we still had the best of times up there on that hill in Sweet Air. What I wouldn't give to be a Watty's having a milk shake with you, Steve, Tom, and Mike right now!!! Best times of my life!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

I started with a circa 1968 galloping ghost. An ARF of all things with a .049 Cox engine with a single channel on the rudder doing the flappity-flap dance.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Ron Stahl

Boy your right those were the days, all those places are gone. But we're still here! I had my most fun flying at the old hump with all of you those guys. You pattern fliers were my idols and we had real builders back then.
Originally Posted by Woketman
WOW! They were crap radios compared to what we all have now, but we still had the best of times up there on that hill in Sweet Air. What I wouldn't give to be a Watty's having a milk shake with you, Steve, Tom, and Mike right now!!! Best times of my life!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy your right those were the days, all those places are gone. But we're still here! I had my most fun flying at the old hump with all of you those guys. You pattern fliers were my idols and we had real builders back then.
Hey Ron... by any chance is your Father's first name Al? (maybe even from the old RCRC club in Orangeburgh, NY? )
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My first radio in 1969 was a single channel escapement purchased by my father in Japan. My second radio in 1970 was the EK Logictrol 3 channel brick. I flew a Lanier Cessna till college got in the way and didn't have time to fly.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I started with a circa 1968 galloping ghost. An ARF of all things with a .049 Cox engine with a single channel on the rudder doing the flappity-flap dance.
Me too!

In the mid 70's with the Mattel galloping ghost set, yep found it on the site.

I migrated from free flight models, converted my Doonside Mills powered Veron Cardinal to radio.

John.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
tejician1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snoped and scanned the "line up" of radios and didn't see my first rig...I started flying RC back in 1955...My first radio was a half homemade ( Lorenz 2 tube receiver) and half kit (SIG xmtr kit)...It was cheap to make but the batteries to light it up cost almost an arm and a leg.. Flew the airplane & radio for 4 years in a Demco Live Wire trainer.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
dw1
My Feedback: (3)

Ace single channel pulse system, early 70s. Flew it in a Lil Esquire. Still have both.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my first radio (1973 MRC), a beast purchased new by my older brother but he never finished his first trainer a Sig Kadet before he quit the hobby and I got his stuff, all for $175.
I didn't get a new radio (Futaba) until 1980.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mrc_open.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1963101  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Ron Stahl

Jim, my dad was Bob Stahl and not a modeler. Some people have asked before if i might be related to Earl Stahl the famous free flight guy. the answer is still sorry but no. I am distantlly related to the Stahl that makes sprint car header and other race car supplies in PA.
Originally Posted by AMA 74894
Hey Ron... by any chance is your Father's first name Al? (maybe even from the old RCRC club in Orangeburgh, NY? )
Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that IS funny... Al Stahl used to complain about the very same thing
thanks, Ron!