Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to jets and needing some help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New to jets and needing some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want something bigger the Torus is on sale right now for a smokin deal. Big *****cat of a plane and will fly well on a P120 and up.

PaulD
Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM
TimMores
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
I started into jets a couple of years ago with a Boomerang XL. I basically dug through all the forums for any build info I could find and also for info on the turbine install, etc. I also found a local jet modeller that had me over to his house and he double checked my setup and helped me start the turbine for the first time. Everything went very smoothly but in spite of how much preparation I had done, we discovered the turbine wasn't centered in the airframe perfectly. I had carefull measured everything but it turned out the former that I used as a reference wasn't installed square and as a result my turbine sat at a bit of an angle. We quickly took care of that and it started right up without a hitch. I also set up my spare transmitter as a buddy box as per AMA rules you are required to be on a buddy box until your instructor feels you're ready to take the qualification flight for your turbine waiver. I was fortunate enough to have a friend that agreed to help me through the turbine waiver process. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to attend our local jet rally on Friday, which was the day that the event director wanted all maidens to be performed. Since my friend wasn't available, I asked a couple of experienced pilots that I knew were qualified (by reputation) and they were either busy or simply didn't feel comfortable test flying another persons jet. I did eventually find someone that was willing to help me and I got in a couple of flights on Friday and on Saturday and Sunday my friend took over and I completed my turbine waiver that weekend. Still, in spite of the fact that I was a very experienced flier, and the Boomerang XL is very straightforward to fly, it took a good number of flights before I felt completely comfortable flying with a bunch of other jets in the pattern.

My advise would be, don't show up at an event unless you are very sure that everything is sorted and you can focus on learning what you need to know to complete your turbine waiver. Also, have a buddy box setup all configured so you don't need to mess with that. The place to sort out any possible issues is at home when you have access to tools and time to do the job right. Also, it's best to remember that the other guys there want to fly their own jets and probably have very limited spare time. Most are more than happy to share that time to help someone out but it's always best to be prepared so you aren't wasting time on unnecessary things.
Some Excellent advice there
Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really enjoy my XL, which I chose because I felt a larger model would be easier to see. A friend bought a used Nano last year and we got it going and it flies really well also and he is very happy with it. If you already have a Nano, I'd suggest that you go ahead and get it ready to fly as I'm sure it will serve you very well. Once you've got some experience, there are all kinds of possible choices for a second jet.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kmoore0612
Thanks for the info Wayne. Is it worth it to get a bigger jet such as the Boomerang XL vs the NANO as a beginner jet? I ask because i have seen a few jets for sale on the RCU of guy selling because they didnt enjoy flying jets. I wouldnt mind getting the XL but its just that if I dont enjoy flying jets like i think i will then i am afraid i will have spent a lot of money for no reason.
I'm sorry since I guess this is a valid question but I had to laugh when you said you might not like it.... lol

I've tried pretty hard to quit swearing the last few years, but when I landed from my first turbine flight and it was solo no buddy box needed on the dry lake bed, my hands were shaking like leaves in a strong breeze. When my mentor asked me "well how was it?" I responded, IIRC, something like "that was f****** GREAT!" "man what a rush..."

Now to maybe a bit more useful information from a jet newbie. I would consider buying one RTF if you happen to run accross a model you like and the price is good. If you don't have local help to look at buying used, make sure the seller has excellent feedback, talk to him on the phone to get an idea of whether or not you think he's a straight up guy and go look at the thing. Bigger is better both to see and flight characteristics.

There were several guys here in our club starting to do the turbine thing and I had ordered a model which unbeknownist to me, would not be shipped for four months. In the meantime, I was pretty ticked off, thought I might never see the thing or my money and ran accross a really clean KingCat with a new low time P-160SX, wing bags, a JR 12X radio and all the ground support equipment for a really good (I thought) price. So after following the suggestions I made for you above, I bought the thing and it's been one of the best moves I've made in RC Model Airplanes.

I've got a second jet being put together and a third one sitting downstairs (the one I originally ordered finally came) which I'll put together at some point. I've done a number of GS IMAC type models but these jets are a whole 'nuther story. When it comes to what to buy, go with your gut. When it comes to setting it up, pay attention to what these guys are telling you....

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-21-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good advice from all
Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM
kmoore0612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good info. I really appreicate it. I just saw this on the for sale section. Its a comp arf rookie. Does anyone think this is a good deal? Good jet to start on?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=971170
Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't help you much on this question as I don't have a lot of flying experience with jets. One of the reasons I liked the KingCat is that it is kind of a transition into jets type model for new jet pilots. While it can get out an move right along, it has lots of wing, huge flaps and a very forgiving nature which allow it to be slowed down quite a bit for landing. I like Comp-Arf models but have never flown that jet. I'd be a bit leery of the engine which is an older one, the ECU is older, it's got JR 8611 servos which worked well but were notorious for eating gear sets due to the very tight deadband. I noticed in his add that there were inquiries about selling the model minus the engine.

Maybe some of these other guys who have more experience can chime in on the question.

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-22-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:04 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kmoore,

Could I suggest a 2M Viperjet from Skymaster. Stable, aerobatic and fun. And it looks like a jet should, without booms dragging behind it.
Finding one RTF is a great idea but I think you learn more about all the different systems involved in Jets if you built one yourself, program one yourself etc. Also knowing what goes into a jet will make trouble shooting easier down the track. And there will be trouble shooting.

Goodluck and either way you will have a blast.

Levi
Old 03-24-2014, 04:09 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmoore0612
Lots of good info. I really appreicate it. I just saw this on the for sale section. Its a comp arf rookie. Does anyone think this is a good deal? Good jet to start on?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=971170
It could work, but there are better alternatives there, as some has found its somewhat harder to slow down the rookie for landing