Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hitec 7954 Servo Failures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hitec 7954 Servo Failures

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Rakaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are using Hitech servos from many years ago . No problem so far.
My F-18 which weights more than 70Ib is all powered with 7954s . Two servos each flap which shows the huge size of it. And no problem at all.
You have to be very careful when you buld the servo .if they are forcing will burn whatever servo brand is. We usually use an ammeter to confim that nither servo on the airplane is overworking, expecially the flaps one.

Some years ago I trusted in Hitech brand for my Ultra Bandit from BVM. Lot of people told me I was crasy thinking in put Hitech servos on such a fast airplane . After 5 years muy ultra Bandit still flying with the same Hitech servos that I used for my maiden flight.

I have never had any problem with them and I will continue using them for sure.

Raúl
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Stevojet
My Feedback: (1)

Update....
We received 6 Hitec 7954 servos back from Hitec this week. 3 were replaced and 3 have been repaired, all at no charge and free return shipping. I am out of town and have not decided how I will use these servos yet. But it seems appropriate to acknowledge Hitec here now for their positive response to my issue.
Once I get them back in the air I will post another update.
steve
Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevojet
Update....
We received 6 Hitec 7954 servos back from Hitec this week. 3 were replaced and 3 have been repaired, all at no charge and free return shipping. I am out of town and have not decided how I will use these servos yet. But it seems appropriate to acknowledge Hitec here now for their positive response to my issue.
Once I get them back in the air I will post another update.
steve
Did they ever tell you what failed and why? What is the long term fix? Programming?

Jim O
Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Stevojet
My Feedback: (1)

Jim,
No info from Hitec, just the repaired/replaced servos returned. I have re-installed all wiring and servos in the jet. I have ordered a Hitec servo programmer and plan to set overload protection at 20% per Mike at Hitec. I also plan to program in the failsafe feature. Hope to fly it at the basin this Friday and will report back.
Steve
Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Steve... basin is closed this week Friday (6/6) through Sunday... Try to come Thursday...

David
Old 06-04-2014, 01:21 AM
xfgnszhu

I have never had any other make of servo fail on me.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Default Nothing but Hitec

I use nothing but Hitec servos in ALL my planes. On the jets its 645mg on the flaps and nose gear steering and 5645 and 5625 on the control surfaces. Never a problem.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:04 AM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering using the Hitec HS-7245MH as a direct drive steering servo in a big Corsair to give a bit of of added torque. Right now I am using a HS-225BB and In some conditions when the plane is stopped the servo may stall. While it is rolling it steers fine with no problem. How do you recommend setting the overload protection using the programmer to have maximum torque but at the same time protect the servo from burning out if it stalls

I have the HFP-20 programmer.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to be only Hitec high voltage servos that have a problem. I have been using Hitec digital servos for years with no problems & I will continue to use them.
I did buy four Hitec HS5685HV servos & all four burned out within a month.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 AM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Jim;

I have not had a problem with standard size servos burning out. However, in a jet i used one of the Mini Digital Servos model HS-5245MG for the mechanical sequencer. I accidentally let it hit the stops and it was gone. Later on I did the same thing with another one. I've been using the really cheep analog version HS-225BB since for this with no problem. When the HS-225BB is used in my the tail wheel retract, the plastic gears are starting to go. I want to go back to something more powerful with metal gears but I know that it may stall and my experience is that it will quickly burn out after that.

I saw that the HS-7245MH has over load protection that can be programmed in. The torque is reduced to save the servo if it is stalled. My question is how can I tell what the maximum stall torque is with out burning out the servo? Maybe I need to monitor the current but what is the maximum amount?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:01 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevojet
We have had a series of flap servo failures on several turbine powered jets at our airfield of late. The latest victim was an Avanti that experienced 2 fried Hitec 7954 flap servos in flight causing catastophic failure. I experienced a similar failure in my Ultima-tun 2 meter turbine powered jet. While I did not lose my plane I do not want to fly again until I understand why these high voltage digital servos are failing. None have been observed to be binding or otherwise hitting the end of their control throws. No shorts in any wiring have been discovered either.
Tomorrow I am sending several of these off to Hitec to take a look at. In the meantime I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience?

Steve
i know this is an old thread but i thought i'd jump in and add to it. i heard awhile back that bob v. recommended analog servos for the flaps because they were putting to much strain on the servos and batteries. any thoughts on that?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by warbird_1
i know this is an old thread but i thought i'd jump in and add to it. i heard awhile back that bob v. recommended analog servos for the flaps because they were putting to much strain on the servos and batteries. any thoughts on that?
On the KingCat BV recommends 8411HV on flaps. On the UB, 8911HV on flaps
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I set my flap servos up so there is almost no load on the servos once the flaps are down.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so i guess digital are ok. i have always used them for flaps even after i heard that .i try to set up the flap linkage so it goes almost over center if i can to help "lock" the flap down .