Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Paperwork

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Paperwork

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:35 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Paperwork

A little different on a full scale

http://imgur.com/a/Fl6za
Old 05-29-2014, 08:27 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about hangar rash!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I think he just bent the pivot pin on the nose gear - the strut looks OK...

Bob
Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 AM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem.... A little Bondo and some Aeropoxy, have that baby screaming Mayday by dark !!!... That took talent !!!

D
Old 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess whoever was in charge will be getting his retirement papers soon If not they should be
Semper Fi
Old 05-30-2014, 05:12 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

here is the story(s) - (not from me)

This is an F-15E partway through a hushhouse door.
The HH is a special building where you can run engines in afterburner without making a lot of noise. Everything is insulated and baffled, the exhaust shoots down what is basically a large baffled tunnel and then directed upwards and away. Some bases have trimpads where you do this outside, but due to noise pollution and comfort it's better to use the HH.
The F-15Es twin P&W-F100-229 engines each put out ~30,000 lbf each. Before the F-22 / F-35 these were basically the most powerful fighter engines in the Air Force inventory.
Brakes aren't going to hold this thing, so there's a bigarse buckle you attach from an anchor point in the ground to the tailhook. The jet strains against it but it holds. Well, when you assemble it, it comes in about five pieces and it all needs to be strapped together in order and secured tightly.
In the case of the above, I've heard two stories - the first was that it was simply attached to the tailhook improperly. I'm not sure about that, because from what I've seen it's not really possible to do that, it only goes on one way. The second story is more plausible, that one of the linkages was not pinned and wired properly. The vibration from the afterburners shook the whole thing loose, and you get that.
Honestly I'm surprised that it only went that far through the door. The F-15E, as it was in the HH, would've had well over a 2:1 TWR. The guy in the cockpit would've had only a couple seconds to kill the engines and get the brakes in order to stop it from going further. The doors to the HH are pretty hefty, but they're basically mostly just aluminum and insulation.
Needless to say the jet was massively f-ed (collapsed nose strut and FOD damage to the engines being the biggest problems).