Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best Presciption Sunglasses

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best Presciption Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Presciption Sunglasses

HI guys, need to get your help in recommending the best presription sun glassess. Let me know what you are happy with.
Rcpete
PS., I hope knowone recommends Maui Jim's, especally their wraps, I've sent back 5 pairs for distortion.

Last edited by rcpete347; 06-09-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I now buy my glasses at Costco, and bought the exact same frames with my prescription in the frames with a brown tint for sunglasses. I am very pleased and I have tried all of the other script type glasses and was not happy. This has been the best so far for me.

Clay
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 PM
shepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete
i made a mistake last time I bought sunglasses. I got Polaroid and although they work great with no distortion that I can see. I cannot see the screen on my transmitter or GSU. Lol I have bifocals so can't even read it with my glasses off. So don't recommend them for our use
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Oakley Juliet frames with a sunglass Rx cut by them. I can pretty much look into the sun momentarily and back no problem. The frame is very tough, its titanium, and Ive been using them since 1998. Great clarity and quality but a bit pricy at about $700.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

When I was competing regularly with helicopters I had various prescription sunglasses for a mild short shortsightedness. I struggled with some sets and ended up buying Oakley cut glasses, expensive but worth it.

Dw
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 PM
fireblade5437

Oakley lens are one of the best... That's from my wife with 36yrs optician experience
just had the latest transition on my vari focals, Oakley are good as one of the hardest coatings in the industry

Polarised are good if you are on the water...

At the last count I have around 14 pairs all have been good oh also am trying a pair of RayBans at present which are not bad

One piece of advice is get decent lens some of the cheap lens that are fitted to glasses cost as little as 50 pence and you get charged big bucks! You have been warned :-)

Alan
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://z-xg.com/

They are now called Zurich Extreme Glare sunglasses but we all know them as Zurich sunglasses. They have changed their name but they they are still Zurichs. They can now make them to in prescriptions as well.

Ken
Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Oakley Pete, they are very expensive but, their lenses are the best. Go check them out.

Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Xantos

Pete,
stay away from the Maui Jim wrap a rounds
it's difficult to get prescription lenses in the wrap around type
I use the MJ regular style and I'm happy with them - yes it's difficult to see the GSU and other LCD screens
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 PM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a pair of them, and they're great! The best I've ever worn! When my prescription changes, I'll get another pair. Another thing...My wife says I "Look good" in them"!!!

Lewis

Originally Posted by RCKen
http://z-xg.com/

They are now called Zurich Extreme Glare sunglasses but we all know them as Zurich sunglasses. They have changed their name but they they are still Zurichs. They can now make them to in prescriptions as well.

Ken

Last edited by jeteye; 06-10-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 PM
kev-o
My Feedback: (1)

Oakleys all,the way I've been wearing them for years.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Lance Campbell

A bit over a year ago, I got mine from Rapid Eyewear from the UK.

http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/

Pick the sport (RC Model Aircraft), and let them know your prescription.
You get 4 different outer lenses, that fit over your untinted prescription.
The 4 lenses you get are different for different sports, sometimes polarized sometimes not.
I'll use a medium one for bright sun, but anything less than that switch it to the yellow, contrast enhancing one, and it really helps make the contrast pop, helping out a bunch.

I like them, although I've heard good things as well from other brands mentioned here too.

Lance
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Zurich will take your Rx glasses and have their coating applied. This way you can get the frame and glass made by your local optician and make sure they are perfect. Then you send them to Zurich for their coatings. You just have to make sure you order your glasses with no coatings whatsoever. Bruce from Zurich will tell you exactly what you need to tell the lens maker.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:45 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Another vote for Zurichs. It is worth having two pairs one with the grey lenses for bright days and the rose lenses for dull days.

Flying in the UK meant that I needed my rose coloured glasses most flying days.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Rols330

Pete,

If you don't mind spending a little for the highest quality.. I recommend SERENGETI . http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/

I fly for a living and can't live without them, I've tried many brands and these are the best by far. I use the DRIVER'S GRADIENT LENS, and had them custom made to my prescription at the factory.

Cheers
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM
pbusa1400

Oakley's Pete.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Contacts and non-RX sunglasses (I'm using Rapid Eyewear.) Since I also need bifocals and contacts can't do that, I also have a pair of sunglasses with built in "readers" (magnifiers) to putter around the pits with.

Works for me.
...jim