Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Original CARF Eurosport questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Original CARF Eurosport questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original CARF Eurosport questions

Hi Guys,

I know over the years... the Eurosport has evolved into a VERY nice flying jet, with great low speed capabilities. BUT... how was the fist gen model? Was it OK? Was it crazy heavy? Did it have any bad flight issues?

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

Original CARF Eurosport was not so much heavier than the Evo is now. Hatch design was not so nice, original original had a fixed fin. But it flew just fine.

Dw
Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

The first original it's fiber classic not carf I have the first version and two carf models one 3d and sport ,the fiber classic it's 36 lbs heavy dry with multiple paint jobs it's the best flying eurofighter of all for regular flying ,the 3d it's more aggressive and and slower at top end .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2005680   Click image for larger version

Views:	127
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2005681   Click image for larger version

Views:	95
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2005682   Click image for larger version

Views:	122
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2005683   Click image for larger version

Views:	86
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	2005684  
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Tony,

The original fixed vertical fin had serious flutter issues. If you have one of those kits, the fin post needs to me strengthened! Other than that, mine flew awesome, it was my first turbine jet.

David S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2005736  

Last edited by David Searles; 06-16-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it a CARF or Fiber Classics? The FC version was my best one, but I never had a Gen. 1 CARF, only later versions. Todd did a lot of "mods" to the G1 when it first came out. He'd be a great resource if you indeed have a G1.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one of the newer ones and I cant imangen it flying badly, it is the best flying jet after my falcon 120 I have flown..

The only issues I have it seems like my rear landing gear start to hang low at full power passes or big loops, what gives?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Im working on mine and my buddy and I have made a lot of changes and updates to the airframe. The fuse is not symmetrical left to right so thats been a big problem when installing the intakes from Tam and other things. Chris aka Stratotanker has laser cut a ton of parts and he made a new fin stiffener bulkhead. This distributes the load into the fuse much better. I have the later generation Euro with the removable fin.

I can post photos of these mods later if theres interest.

Chris
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I have one of the newer ones and I cant imangen it flying badly, it is the best flying jet after my falcon 120 I have flown..

The only issues I have it seems like my rear landing gear start to hang low at full power passes or big loops, what gives?
Your gear is not retracting far enough to reach the lock position, as such you only have air pressure holding them up.. Check that there is not something obstructing the struts
Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Will you please show up all of the laser scale stuff.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by George
Is it a CARF or Fiber Classics? The FC version was my best one, but I never had a Gen. 1 CARF, only later versions. Todd did a lot of "mods" to the G1 when it first came out. He'd be a great resource if you indeed have a G1.

George...

I'm not 100% sure what version it is. (Carf or Fiber Classics) But, it has the same paintjob as the pic above your post. It's orange, with stripes... and the "3D" on the tail.

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Im working on mine and my buddy and I have made a lot of changes and updates to the airframe. The fuse is not symmetrical left to right so thats been a big problem when installing the intakes from Tam and other things. Chris aka Stratotanker has laser cut a ton of parts and he made a new fin stiffener bulkhead. This distributes the load into the fuse much better. I have the later generation Euro with the removable fin.

I can post photos of these mods later if theres interest.

Chris

Thanks for the offer. If I get it... I'll ask for the info.

OK.... so they fly good, but are heavier than the newer versions. So... I guess my next question is... I have a 30# thrust engine that isn't mounted in anything... is that enough to properly fly it? (It's heavier than I thought it would be)
Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 AM
Jet Doctor

30# is fine as long as you don't expect outrageous verticals. My original flew on a 120N (26lb) turbine at 5000 ASL. Two thing to look at, rudder post strengthening and Todd's modification for the canards - bearings and aluminum arms
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Tony,

The FC version has carbon-laminated formers, plates and wood parts, but it sounds like you have a CARF.

Regarding the engine, the 30 pounder will fly it, but it will be limited, and dependent on you're flying style. I've never flown one with less than 36#. My FC and CARF had a Merlin M-160, my Evolution TV had a Booster 160 and the latest one (Gen. 2) I just picked up will be getting one of the new larger engines, 180+.