Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RC. Turbine Water Crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RC. Turbine Water Crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bw5493
Dr. Honda,
Sorry, I disagree. You can get used airframes and perform repairs etc, or engines that are out of date and in good shape and fly on the cheap that way. However where I disagree is, if you fire up a turbine that has been in a pretty good impact, then submerged in cold water after an emergency shutdown..you ARE violating the Rules set forth by AMA, as I posted earlier..period, end of story. You therefore can and should have your waiver temporarily suspended if that is the case, and if continued, revoked. You are putting an unknown engine and everyone around you at risk. You are in essence flying a test bed every time you flip the switch. You cant tell me what stresses where put on that engine in the rapid cool down, you cant tell me something inside was not compromised, until its torn down, inspected, you absolutely cannot! You therefore have no certainty that that engine is safe to run. You are then violating your turbine waiver. If God forbid, something happens, AMA and your insurance company is not going to cover you at all.
Sorry it sucks, but you know I am right!

While I respect your position... I can honestly say... no... you are not right on all accounts.

How is repairing an engine or airframe in violation of the AMA waver rules? Yes... I agree that an engine has to be in proper running order... but last time I checked it didn't have to go back to the manufacture to be looked at. And... if the engine can run properly on a true ground test... then it should be fine to be flown. If your logic opposing that is that it can have a failure... well... I've seen plenty of perfectly good engines, that only get factory serviced have issues in flight also.

I'm honestly not trying to be negative, or cause a fight... but to say someone's waiver should be pulled because they fixed their own toys is ridiculous.

I service all my own engines, that are out of warranty. I also fly with at least 4 CD's that I know... and none of them would say my toys are unsafe. Heck... 2 of them have test flown my aircraft, and gotten them trimmed out for me. (Mark Palmer- Falcon 120/AMT180 and Jim Hiller CMP T-45/wren 44)

As a final thought... the way this thread has gone, is exactly why we have lost a lot of good members, who are in the industry. (Tam, Ron Ballard, and most of the engine support guys)