Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Intake ducting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Intake ducting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:19 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake ducting

I'm hoping some of you can provide information to a question I have. The plane is not a turbine (yet ?) however it's an EDF. I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Habu 32 and have a question for anyone who's had one of these birds. Question is in regards to the internal intake ducting. When looking inside the fuse I notice that there is a gap between where the port and starboard inlets come together within the airframe. The gap exposes the internal area of the airframe, aft of where the battery should be mounted. Should there be this gap or should the ducting be completely closed/joined together where the two inlets come together within the fuse? The picture attached shows the area where the two inlets come together where the gap is within the fuse. Taken forward of the cg looking aft. The only other possibility I consider is if this gap is for cooling of the electronics since there is an inlet forward of the cg on the underside of the ac. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW - I posted this same question on other places on this forum but have gotten absolutely no information in regards to the question, so thought I'd try asking on the jet forum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Habu32ducting.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2029397  

Last edited by SushiHunter; 09-05-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Its probably for cooling since the battery pack is located in front of there and as you noticed the intake duct up front. You want the pack and ESC to see a steady stream of cool air so they can heatsink. Looks OK to me but if your not happy with the answers on the forum Id call Horizon Customer Service.

Also there is a very serious group doing high speed trials on RCGroups with the Habu you could ask them as well.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Vettster

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is set up for EDF... The gap will GREATLY hamper its performance. It needs to be sealed completely and cooling for the batteries and ESC found elsewhere. If its for Turbine.. Wont hurt performance in the slightest.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Mine is the much smaller in gap but it is there and I have hundreds of flights on mine. It is for cooling airflow and it does not hurt the performance if it is kept small.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Its probably for cooling since the battery pack is located in front of there and as you noticed the intake duct up front. You want the pack and ESC to see a steady stream of cool air so they can heatsink. Looks OK to me but if your not happy with the answers on the forum Id call Horizon Customer Service.

Also there is a very serious group doing high speed trials on RCGroups with the Habu you could ask them as well.

That's how its supposed to be.

it is to cool the batteries etc, it does not effect the performance in edf configuration because that's how it was designed by eflight so you still get the negative pressure in the inlets
Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 AM
Vettster

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That may be what Eflight intended... But if you close that up, you WILL see an improvement in performance. EDFs need Positive pressure, any leaks will hamper that.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Actually that's a part of a much bigger picture, you have to calculate the intake area as a percentage of the Fsa, depending on what you want in terms of performance you can adjust your intakes accordingly a smaller intake area will give you more dynamic thrust and a larger one will give you more static thrust, however if you choke the intakes too much you will impede the fan blade, amps will go up while rpm goes down and performance in all areas will suffer.

the way that eflight have designed the habu 32 gives you a nice balance for their fan, there is no denying that it can be altered for different fan systems but to make a blanket statement that closing up that gap will improve performance is not even close to correct, exactly the same principals work with turbine installations when using a bypassed system.

Last edited by lightningmcnulty; 09-06-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Well the air in front of the fan is not going to blow back into the fuselage thru that opening. The rotor will pull air into the fuse causing a negative pressure drawing in air over the battery and ESC. The fan will not have an issue with this opening. If anything at certain times its helping to feed the fan more air than the ducts can provide like a cheater hole does.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:18 AM
SushiHunter

Thanks guys for the feedback.