Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Indication of Igniter Failure - P160SX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Indication of Igniter Failure - P160SX

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 AM
advent996
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indication of Igniter Failure - P160SX

Question for those flying Jetcat SX turbines.

It appears that my internal igniter has failed on a P160SX. No fire in the hole on initiating start up and no indication of glow while looking up the tail pipe during "Burner Test" function. My propane/butane start turbines, P80se and P120 would indicate a glow plug failure via the GSU in the form of a red blinking light. Is there a way to know via the GSU that the internal igniter has failed ??? I have performed all of the other checks to verify fuel flow, starting fuel flow, start up voltage, solenoid function. All else checks out good. I get the normal ECU light chase and start up sequence. It ultimately times out on low temp. The turbine is ~ 3 years old, Ver 6.0 with 12.5 hrs total run time.

Thx in advance for your thoughts...

Bill
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my P-200SX. It was the igniter. The ECU didn't recognize it and it kept trying to start on each new start attempt. It filled it with fuel. I gave it to John Redmond and he said it had to be disassembled and the igniter replaced and then re balanced. Instead he put a external kero-start plug in it and soldered a plug wire to the electronic board at the front of the motor. It starts and runs good now. Mine was about 3.5 years old with 13 hours on it. I don't know if the 160sx is the same but I'm guessing it is. hope this helps
Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 PM
advent996

It does. Thx... Do you happen to know if the ECU is suppose to recognize it and provide this information via the GSU in the form of a blinking red light ??? I'm assuming it should...

Bill
Old 09-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It also could be a clogged starting fuel line internally. I had 2 120sx motors do that, one of them i sent back to be repaired the other i just installed an external kero plug i had lying around and it starts fine now.
Vin...
Old 09-22-2014, 05:58 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I know the failed igniter won't show anything on the GSU but, normally during a start, you will see the battery indicator drop way down from the load when the igniter is energized. If it doesn't drop down that's a good indicator that the ignitor is not lit.

I had an igniter go in my 120sx with about 3.5hrs on it.

Mike
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM
advent996

Vin,

Thx for your comment...

Mike,

I didn't notice the voltage. Good point ...

Bill
Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 PM
pjfmullini

It also could be a clogged starting fuel line internally.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:14 PM
tuan lam
My Feedback: (1)

I got 160 SX it has acting up like that , then I just open an ECU and get the air dust&lint remover clean some fine dust out then I but I put it back and it star right up
Trying to do some thing be four you send it in to jet cat
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to see the glow in the tailpipe on a test. Also the battery voltage drop as well. My 200SX showed no faults or red leds but the igniter was faulty.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:34 AM
advent996

I definitely "DO NOT" see any glow what so ever in the tail pipe. I am fairly certain my problem is with the igniter. I was just curious if there was an indication of a igniter failure that should be seen via the GSU. In your case there was not. Sounds a lot like mine...

Thx Bob & Everyone...

Bill