Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First time getting into jet turbines, experienced flyer. Tips or suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First time getting into jet turbines, experienced flyer. Tips or suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time getting into jet turbines, experienced flyer. Tips or suggestions?

I am starting to get into the higher end of RC Airplanes, and I've fell in love with the turbine jet engines. I just don't know where to start as a beginner in RC turbines.
I have tons of flying experience (Almost 9 years, so I'm not a "nooby").

I have some questions for those who are well experienced in RC Turbine or know a few things about them:

-What do I need to get started?
-Where do I get most of my turbine equipment?
-Who sells the best beginner ARFs?
-What parts do I need?
-Is there a tutorial for getting into turbines?
-What are the differences vs. electric/nitro models?
-Do I need a license for RC Turbine planes?

If you guys have other suggestions please feel free to comment!

Hopefully I can be directed towards the right direction.

Looking forward to the responses!

Last edited by XxOoCoBrAoOxX; 10-02-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XxOoCoBrAoOxX
I am starting to get into the higher end of RC Airplanes, and I've fell in love with the turbine jet engines. I just don't know where to start as a beginner in RC turbines.

I have some questions for those who are well experienced in RC Turbine or know a few things about them:

-What parts do I need?

My suggestion would be to find someone at your local flying site with turbine experience to serve as your mentor. This individual would/should be able to immediately answer your questions and provide guidance in the selection of an airframe.

There are a few US based companies that can provide most of what you need for a turbine-powered model, Global Jets Club, Bob Violett Models, Dreamworks RC, Elite Aerosport, Chief Aircraft are just a few. The type of model you want and the amount you are willing to spend will determine the vendor you select. Also, in the RC Universe jet thread you will find a wealth of information about some model jets/companies to avoid because various reasons. I would suggest you carefully read about the experiences the others have had with certain models/companies.

In my opinion, the major differences in a turbine-powered model vs electric or glow-powered edf are cost, speed,and weight. However, the cost and speed of some high performance edf models are pretty close to some turbine models.

A turbine waiver is required. Hopefully others will respond and provide more danswers to your questions.

Last edited by David Jackson; 10-07-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on your decision!

In my opinion, this is the best place for jet beginners: www.bvmjets.com

and a interesting video too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x383A...9wYD3B&index=1
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by XxOoCoBrAoOxX

-What parts do I need?

Buy a used jet off the classifieds and take whatever people say on the rcu forums with a grain of salt, 95% of it bs and old hats telling you what to do because they are set on there ways. I know people that got there waiver on 1/6 F-16's and my first jet was a Ultra Lightning and yellow aircraft starfire. Both not considered beginer but are totally are.

If you fly off grass get something with a 160N or better, gears should be as far apart as you can. All jets pretty much handle the same, they like going fast and they don't respond well when very slow. Also landings are a 1 shot so treat it as a dead stick landing you can't just power out and go. take offs need more runway.

DON"T buy a new jet kit for your first..
Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My first bit of advice is find the area around you where turbine waivered pilots fly,
Go visit them when they are there, introduce yourself let them know you are wanting to transition into thjs side of the hobby, If they are a good group of guys, they will steer you in the right direction, and hopefully be friendly enough to take the time to share what they know about this side of the hobby. They will be able to recommend planes/engines/ etc and that is fine, you just need to be comfortable with what you get,,don't go out and buy a 8k dollar F4 phantom and expect good results. LIsten and research, that is the best advice I know.
to answer a few of your questions,
BVM and DreamWorks sell almost everything you can think of related to turbine planes,
best beginner arf is gonna be all over the place. everyone has their opinion, MINE was a 1/8 scale F16, others will say the boomeran Taurus/sprint/ bobcat/ the shockjet is an easy flyer
You don't need a license to fly a turbine, You do however need to have the waiver process completed and signed off and then your AMA card will need to be modified to turbine status. what that consists of is having two experienced turbine waivered pilots, ONE being a CD working with you. You will need to demonstrate that you know every aspect of your aircraft, and every safety available, what to do if you have a hot-start, have to show that the failsafe in the rx/ecu is programmed correctly. and leave the plane open to an inspection. WHat I acutally did was opened up my jet and asked All the pilots there to look at it and see if they could find a problem. ONCe the ground portion is approved its time to fly, basically they are wanting to see that you are competent in a straight take-off, once in the air I had to do some basic aerobatic maneuvers, spit S, a roll, A loop pattern in both directions. THen had to land and demonstrate I could do it safely,, Not really a big deal. ONce that is done and approved, they will sign off your waiver, send that to the AMA and your good.

Hope this helps ya a little.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

click on the link ------> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...uide-jets.html
Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it is great advice to start with jets that the locals know. Even if you don't like the airframe, remember, your first jet will get scratched, bumped, hurt. I bet even Shui and Ali hurt their first jets. But the local guys will be familiar with that jet and will be able to help you. You will learn alot and love it.

If there are local jet guys, watch them fly first before you trust them.

As jets have been the pinnacle of RC, there are quite a few ego's out there that talk alot, but have no idea how to fly. Other guys, are really, really, REALLY nice, but can't fly to save their lives.

If the guys giving you advice are successful, then you will likely be successful as well.

If you don't have anyone locally, get ready to travel a bit. It will be worth it in the end.

Jeremy's thread is fantastic and will give you plenty to chew on mentally.

I'll take a stab at answering your questions:

As you aren't a newb, you've got tools, basic field equipment and a minimum of a 5 channel radio (brakes are necessary). I recommend to buy the most channels you can. You will use them.

You'll need (yes, need) a CO2 extinguisher, I also suggest an ABC (if you crash and burn, an ABC will be most practical to bring to the site vs Water. CO2, will not put out that type of fire)

You will need kerosene/diesel (I suggest 5 gallons) and turbine oil (1 quart). All turbines today can run on a 5% mixture. Some can do less, all can do 5%.

Actual jet of your choice with the electronics of your choice. Say good bye to standard servos. They hover right around useless in today's jets. I can think of a use for them still, but don't depend on your budget to get away with standard servos. Buy the biggest torque servos you can afford for your "jesus" surface, your elevator. You may be able to reuse it.

Most jets are power hungry so many of us run regulators to our receivers. I run a smartfly turbo reg with 2s lipos in all my jets.

Most retracts are still pneumatic, so you will also need an airpump if you choose that route.

You will need an actual Turbine for your jet. The size of your turbine will depend on the size of your jet. Knowing what I know now, I'd say a kingtech 180 would be a good first choice. Unless, of course, you choose to fly a very small first jet. You will be able to "grow" with a K-180. Bigger prop planes fly better and are easier to see. Jets are no different in this regard. Hopefully, you've learned throttle control and just flying full throttle lap after lap are best left to guys like Douglas "Afterburner1"

Again, if all your local guy are flying Jetcats, then go with that. God forgive me, if most of the guys around you are flying jet central, then fly that. You just want local knowledge.

DreamworksRC.com, Todd is reasonably priced, well stocked and stands behind all his stuff.

BVMjets.com, Patty and Heather are a great resource. And if you are really serious about success, you should start your BVM acquaintance early anyways!

Scale jets- Skymaster, Jet Legend, BVM (plug and play F-16). This should get you started in your search if you want a scale first jet. Most will agree that the most docile scale trainers are along the lines of F-16's, F-15's, F-86's. I'm sure many will chime in.

Sport Jets- I love BVM Bandit ARF's. Many go with boomerangs, Composite ARF Flash is also a very strong airframe.

-What parts do I need?

I think the aforementioned list should be a good start.

You found it. RCuniverse.com

Just don't. You like jets because jets sound so awesome right?

You need a turbine waiver to fly at AMA sites. I suggest you get one as previously mentioned. You will meet the most jet pilots there.

And have fun!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM
cigartoyz

Definitely a must...find the guys at your local field and start picking their brains.....That's what I did and now I am friends with all of them. Any question I have gets answered. My first jet was a CARF Ultra Flash that I purchased from one of the guys at my local field. He is a great mentor when it comes to turbines and I learned a ton in the last 8 or so months that I have been flying turbines. I just got my second jet. A Jet Legend F-16 1.6 G2. "The build thread will be up soon." RCU is a good place to get info but I found that talking with jet owners face to face or even on the phone is the best. Good luck with your jet and if I can add any piece of advise is don't skimp on components. All it takes is one cheap part to destroy your investment.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:28 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

XxOo..................
Take the family on a short vacation to Florida. Call Dustin at BVM Models in Florida. He has a Jet Camp that you can attend where he takes you through it all over a two day weekend. He provides the jet, fuel, and flying facility. You will fly 12+ times over the two day period initially on a buddy box. As you progress, he will take you off the box. You can't believe what you learn about jets in two days under his supervision. Chic
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to second everything that ravill said. follow that and you should have success.

My two pennyworth says for your first jet pick one that has a large removable top hatch that lets you see all the plumbing and the turbine itself. There is a lot to learn about plumbing and UATs etc. I had a Baby Boomerang for my first jet and as well as having the excellent access with a big removable it was great fun to fly. I flown a couple of larger Boomers and they too were lots of fun.

http://youtu.be/Hv1j2u5NTqc There is a hiccup at the moment with the supply of Boomerangs in the USA.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I built a 'beginner jet' & had no regrets whatsoever, I've still got it & still enjoy flying it.

If you do get sick of it you can always sell it later.

I'm currently helping a guy with an Xcalibur jet, similar to a Boomerang but half the price
& as good as or better quality. There's a thread in this forum. - John.