Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Scale finishing my BVM Hun

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Scale finishing my BVM Hun

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 08:57 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats Dave!
Free cocktails if we cross paths!
Looks like there are a few former pilots to share the "in my day" stories with!
Old 12-14-2021, 11:21 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by patf
Congrats Dave!
Free cocktails if we cross paths!
Looks like there are a few former pilots to share the "in my day" stories with!
kinda like the scene in jaws where they compare scars? Lol
The following users liked this post:
grbaker (12-14-2021)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:48 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok guys, I’ve been remiss is posting. I’ve been doing all the final 10% crap that takes 90% of the time. Cockpit installs, motor, intake etc etc. I’ve got pics to prove it but at the point it’s more important to say

ITS FLOWN!!!

Today my good buddy Jason and I drove down to the dry lake bed south of town and test flew the Hun and his new 1/7.75 BV Hornet. Both were wildly successful and we left the dry lake feeling pretty good

i flew the Hun twice before the winds came up. First flight the gear fought on the initial retraction so I just put them back down and finished the flight with the gear down trimming with half and full flap. I had the tanks on but the tank fins removed for the first flight. I felt like I had the throttle stick WAY back and it was still scooting along pretty good even with flaps and speed brake out. the first landing was nice

the second flight I pulled it off the ground a bit and let the nose come up and let the motor push it along. The gear cooperated nicely and without the tanks it got moving in a hurry. Several times During the flight Jason said “dude it’s REALLY moving”. Despite having put a curve on the throttle (ie 25% stick was 15-20% output etc) i again felt like the throttle stick was buried in the bottom three clicks (it was better than that but that was the feeling). I didn’t really let the reigns out but it’s obvious this plane is a missile. I was shocked at how light it feels in the air. It’s 5# or so heavier than the PNP but feels lighter. It also feels more solid (probably the result of the weight). I did a low fast pass and quickly figured out the elevator gyro was over gained. That was eye opening at that low altitude. It probably never waivered more than a foot or two but it was enough. That’s what I get for not sticking to my test plan and just having fun!

I spent more time singing around than working on the second flight and by the time it was time to slow down and configure I didn’t feel comfortable driving it for three minutes slow like I usually like to do due to fuel (I had screwed up the timer so I went conservative). All of this combined with a wind that was starting to get wonky and it was time to land. I ended up landing with a 90 deg cross at 12 or so I’d guess. The plane crabbed all the way in. I couldnt get it to settle into a squat like I like to with the phantoms. I also noticed a very slight nose tuck into the turns. Despite being 1/2” behind the BV recommendation I think it’s a bit nose heavy. I can’t imagine flying it as nose heavy as recommended. When I went to flare on the second landing (because it wasn’t as nose high as I like and didn’t feel like it wanted to get there) I pulled a handful of elevator but didn’t get quite what I wanted so I grabbed more and got a balloon. It settled back on just fine, I popped the chute and it promptly ripped off (the fuses left link was “set” too low). I applied brakes and it stopped nicely.

the winds came up before I could get a third flight

overall impressions: amazing plane. I know others have said it but holy cow. What a plane. I think ten flights in this will be a massive favorite. The Bv phantom was like that. Ten flights in and I wanted a hundred and got them fast after those first ten. It’s smoother and much much faster than the PNP.

ive pulled 2 oz out of the front cockpit area and put more throttle curve in. I’ll also gain down the elevator, cure the air leak and go over everything carefully before taking it out again

Last edited by ozief16; 01-07-2022 at 10:00 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ozief16:
Bob_B (01-08-2022), grbaker (01-08-2022), paulhat (01-10-2022), Ron S (01-08-2022), Viper1GJ (01-08-2022), yeahbaby (01-08-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-08-2022, 04:03 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations Dave....fantastic project!!
Old 01-08-2022, 03:21 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Awesome looking jet Dave. Congrats!
Gary
Old 01-08-2022, 03:33 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The smile of satisfaction is evident! Congrats Dave.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:02 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks guys. It felt great of course but now the work of finishing the cockpits begins. I got the kit from Ad Clark senior and he had gone all out with two Cutting Edge cockpit kits for it. They’re incredible but they’re the equivalent of a aviator 40 each to build/paint/finish

Theyll be incredible once done

The following users liked this post:
Viper1GJ (01-09-2022)